Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Increasing backpressure?

I recently installed the nitto midpipe on my car along with the stock header and a tanabe madallion axleback. It feels like I dropped a lot of torque from 2-4k RPM and I usually don't rev higher than 4k Is there an easy mod I can do to temporarily inscrease some backpressure to regain some of that torque until I am boosted? Also for those of you who have the midpipe are you getting 100% success on getting rid of a CEL with that anti fouler deal the garm sells on his website?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
what is the diameter on your exhaust?

i believe the general rule of thumb is 2'' up to 120 hp, 2.25" up to 180hp, 2.5'' up to 250hp, 3'' up to 300-350ish, and 4.5'' for anything beyond

please dont quote me on this. its just general hearsay from my years around other forums.
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
If you don't usually rev above 4k, then exhaust modifications are the wrong thing to do. Over the years, I have installed various exhaust modifications on vehicles I've owned and without exception, every one that reduced back pressure (on a stock engine) also reduced mid-range torque, sometimes by a substantial amount.

Most of these systems increased power in the upper RPM range, but for most street driving, that's pretty useless. If you have a big motor with lots of torque, it probably won't matter. But on a little engine like the Yaris has, a mid-range torque hit can be very noticeable.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
yes on the anti-fouler question.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
When I completed the 2.5" exhuast from the downpipe to the rear I really felt the difference in torque especially on the 3rd gear compared to the downpipe only. From this experience I understood well how much back pressure makes a big difference...

Last edited by Parmas; 08-22-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
it has less to do with back pressure, and more to do with velocity and/or laminar flow of the exhaust gasses. the higher the exhaust gas velocity, the more "smoothly" it flows through the exhaust pipe.

if you want more "back pressure" put in a smaller exhaust pipe.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Also, did you reset the ECU? I just installed the DC header and had a similar issue. After an ECU reset I got most, if not all, of the mid-range power back.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx View Post
Also, did you reset the ECU? I just installed the DC header and had a similar issue. After an ECU reset I got most, if not all, of the mid-range power back.
Yes I did reset the ECU. Drove 20 miles and CEL came right back on.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
it has less to do with back pressure, and more to do with velocity and/or laminar flow of the exhaust gasses. the higher the exhaust gas velocity, the more "smoothly" it flows through the exhaust pipe.

if you want more "back pressure" put in a smaller exhaust pipe.
I just don't want to hack up the nitto midpipe. I think I am just going to return it to stock
Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Take it from me... on the subject of power, never make decisions based on "feel." Why don't you go dyno that thing and make sure you're not just feeling what you expected to happen rather than what actually is?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Take it from me... on the subject of power, never make decisions based on "feel." Why don't you go dyno that thing and make sure you're not just feeling what you expected to happen rather than what actually is?
The power feels smoother throughout the whole RPM range it just lost a lot of "pep" at low RPMS It probably is making more power overall just less power where I typically use it on the street.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Not using a straight thru muffler will help the back pressure, like a dynomax turbo muffler or similar style.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I guess it is hard to justify spending money on a dyno visit to find out if you're gaining/losing 3 foot pounds at the wheels. Either way good luck with the decision.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote