Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #91
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Galavoxx -how was your drive up hwy 1?

I having removal issues with my air/fuel sensor (on the stock manifold), so my car is still up on jack stands while my Toyota mechanic buddy tries to get it un-stuck. He has the old manifold at his house. I think I'll need to post up my experience with the Megan install. It was going fine until the stuck sensor. Oh well, there is always something! Oh yeah, air tools are your friend!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #92
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
I hate it when the little things hold up a project, very frustrating. Hopefully you get it out of there. Mine came right out.

As for my drive, it went well. It was foggy as hell but the car ran pretty strong. I like the header. It's not a huge improvement over my old setup but it is noticeable.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #93
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
does anyone know if this is CARB legal? i may be moving to cali next year. i did a search and found that supposedly all DC headers are CARB exempt, but i cant find a specific # for this one.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #94
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
does anyone know if this is CARB legal? i may be moving to cali next year. i did a search and found that supposedly all DC headers are CARB exempt, but i cant find a specific # for this one.
Well, from my [little] research on the subject, I believe the CARB law says no modifications to intake and exhaust are allowed. Manufacturers can apply for exemptions. When these exemptions are granted, the part receives an EO (Executive Order) number, which makes it legal.

Since the header is a modification to the exhaust, it is thereby illegal. As far as I know there are no exempt aftermarket parts for the Yaris. That is anything that has to do with intake and exhaust.

I have the AEM air intake and asked them if the exemption application is pending or if they plan to do it and they replied: no, there is no exemption, there is no plan to apply and your intake is for off-road use only.

I know the DMV fined some dealers in the greater LA area a few years back because they were selling sport vehicles with mods that were not CARB approved.

If you asked me, I'd say there is no way a mod that improves my gas mileage is bad for anyone (including the environment), but these are the rules... I don't understand why I can't install an aftermarket CAI on my 2007 engine, but one of the guys at work can still drive a 1982 Honda Civic with carburetor and choke and such. Even if I toss the catalytic converter, he still beats me by a wide mile in terms of emissions

Like I said, these are the rules. I guess the Yaris is not a popular enough vehicle to make it worthwhile for manufacturers to go through the exemption process. Just my guess...
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #95
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Oh, and don't worry, CA is not that bad a place to live, after all
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #96
Herbicidal

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing... I have JBA headers on my 01' Tundra and they do have a CARB #. It will be interesting to see if the technician at my first smog test for the Yaris will even notice it has a header back there.

On another note, my Toyota buddy was able to finally remove the air/fuel sensor from the stock manifold, but the threads were wasted. Fortunately he had a used spare that he gave to me. It's almost all back together, maybe tomorrow I'll be able to finish it up. The battery is currently disconnected. Once I'm all done, I think I will start a new thread on my Megan header install experience as this thread really isn't the place.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #97
Herbicidal

No love for me with my air/fuel sensor. Tried a couple of used ones that had matching part numbers but came from different model Toyota's. All threw a CEL. Gave up and asked my buddy to pick up a new one and call it done. I should have the new sensor installed this evening.

This became a rather expensive mod.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #98
Galavoxx

That sucks. Hopefully you like the header.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #99
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx View Post
That sucks. Hopefully you like the header.
Thanks. Question for you - were you able to reuse the Toyota bolts to connect the DC header to the mid-pipe? These have the big spring around the bolt. How about the bolt to reconnect the support bracket from behind the block to the header?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #100
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Just ordered mine from wesellcarparts, woohoo!!!!!
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #101
Galavoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Thanks. Question for you - were you able to reuse the Toyota bolts to connect the DC header to the mid-pipe? These have the big spring around the bolt. How about the bolt to reconnect the support bracket from behind the block to the header?
Sorry for the delay. Yes, I re-used all bolts including the spring loaded collector bolt. They were all in excellent condition, even after $35K miles.

One thing I didn't mention in my original post, I don't know if this is just my car but there is a threaded tab on the side of the header (new and old) that wasn't connected to anything and doesn't appear that it could be. Is this supposed to connect to the "support bracket" you are talking about? If so, my car didn't come with a support bracket.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #102
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx View Post
Sorry for the delay. Yes, I re-used all bolts including the spring loaded collector bolt. They were all in excellent condition, even after $35K miles.

One thing I didn't mention in my original post, I don't know if this is just my car but there is a threaded tab on the side of the header (new and old) that wasn't connected to anything and doesn't appear that it could be. Is this supposed to connect to the "support bracket" you are talking about? If so, my car didn't come with a support bracket.
As I think mentioned before I'm a little disappointed that I could not reuse the spring loaded bolts as the thread pitch is wrong. I'm glad to hear the DC's were a match. I also bought longer bolts for the header that hold it to the engine block, I just didn't like how little thread there was left due to the thicker flange and thicker gasket.

Yeah, the support bracket is basically in the shape of a triangle, two bolts to the engine block and one to the threaded tab. I wonder why yours didn't have one? Sedan vs hatchback?

Oh, I now have a new air/fuel sensor, just haven't installed it yet. Probably tomorrow, then I can start driving my Yaris back to work and get a feel for the new header.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #103
Klinton

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan Flint Mica
im going to pick up that header soon im pretty happy with what i have seen on it

205/45/17 Nittos/ KN tyhoon 69 intake
EURO areo muffler / DF 210 Springs
NST 10% Pulley/ 15% tint
600watt rockford punch 12" subs and amp
micro image rocks!
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #104
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
i have the dc header. had it for awhile it is wonderful. you do lose some down end tho but it will make the acceleration feel alot smother. gives a small boost in hp too. Check the sticky mines is up there along with others. install was pretty straight forward too.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #105
rac23

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I ordered my DC header from Garm this week. It should be in Friday. Can anyone tell me where I can get the exhaust pipe gasket for it? I don't want to buy it from Toyota. I think they want $50 for it.
rac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #106
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac23 View Post
I ordered my DC header from Garm this week. It should be in Friday. Can anyone tell me where I can get the exhaust pipe gasket for it? I don't want to buy it from Toyota. I think they want $50 for it.
I'll sell you mine for $30. My Megan header came with a new gasket. My car has about 12,500 miles on it.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #107
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac23 View Post
i reused my stock one and it works fine.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #108
rac23

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I guess I'll try to salvage mine first. I was hoping someone would make an alternative product at a more reasonable price. That gasket shouldn't cost more than $10.
If you bought a Yaris part by part from Toyota's parts department and then put it together yourself, it would probably cost you more than buying a new Porsche.
rac23 is offline   Reply With Quote