Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
Advice on wheel spacers and sway bars needed!

Hi everyone!

So, I just bought a brand new (to me) Toyota Yaris. Well... it's almost new, only 14 thousand kms when I got it, and it's in mint condition... so yeah...

Anyways! I wanna make some easy-on-the-wallet mods to start with, and I was looking in the thread for best/worst investments (which is an awesome idea for a thread, thanks so much) and so... I need some advice!

I went to a tuning car shop here in Germany and boy-oh-boy... did that guy seem clueless or what?? So I think I'm gonna go for a DIY here... at least if I f*** it up I'm the only one to blame for.

So, let's start with the wheel spacers... I have already done this with a car I had, a VW Golf, and I really like this mod. Extra stability, aggressive look and not so expensive and not "intrusive" on the car... so yeah, want to do it again! I've got the 2007-2011 5 door hatch back (only european version?) btw, which comes standard with 185/60R15 wheels. And I was thinking... 10mm in front, 20mm in the rear? What do you guys think? Too much, too little? I can post pictures if needed!

And... the sway bar. I also did this on my VW Golf, also a great mod! Stability when cornering improved so much, it was great, but on my Golf I installed it in the front. I saw in the good investments thread people talking about the rear sway bar only... the guy at the car shop said "always start with the front"... and then he showed me some tricky strut bars... which had to be bolted on... so I thought... well, let me first talk to people who know about this.

Even if I kind of agree with the guy... well... come to think of it, I guess I don't really agree... sway bars reduce roll... and where you should reduce it depends on how your car is behaving... it it's oversteering you should stiffen the front... understeering stiffen the back... so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the Yaris understeers like there's no tomorrow, and stiffening the back is probably a good idea. And it seems like a very easy DIY as well, so should I go ahead and just order the rear sway bar?

And... from where? I've seen a very active user around (Cali?) that ships internationally... I would rather go and pick up the stuff from somewhere, because usually there's no one home... and I'd rather not have this kind of stuff sent to my company

Anyways, thanks in advance for any insight!!

Lars is offline   Reply With Quote