Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmmmm noticed substantial mpg increase with nst pulley...

So I drive pretty spiritedly. I used to get about 35-36 mpg when i used to do a mostly freeway commute. Now because of my new job i drive in stop and go traffic to and from work. And usually get 29-31 depending on how i drive.

I would assume with the NST pulley since it is lighter and less rotational mass one who does more stop and go driving would benefit more from it than someone who does mostly longer consistant speed commute. Since it requires less power from a stop to go than it does to keep at a constant rotational higher speed.

And my last tank jumped to 35mpg. The most i ever got for months. I am hoping its not a fluke as there are many variables. But im awaiting to post my results again the next fuel up. If its the same than the pulley will pay itself of in fuel ecnomy alone especially if gas prices rise. I drive very aggresively so i can imagine if i backed off the throttle a bit i would get even better results. I hit redline on a daily basis.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
It's theoretically possible; but as many have said on here, one tank of gas does not a trend make! Keep documenting your mileage and let us know if you get the same results with the next couple of tanks...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
bump
Can I ask, why is you you go around to threads posting this consistently?

Are you refering to something, trying to make a point on a new thread?

Adding to your post count?

Im not saying anything to get you mad, just trying to figure out what you are doing.

Just to clarify out of your last 30 posts, 18 of them just said "bump", mostly today alone!

Wow, if I did that, I would have 10times more posts by now too.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I wish this is true, because since I live close to the city, and experience traffic 5-6days of the week when I drive, its usually stop and go.

That said, I have not seen a single tank of gas above 30MPG for about the last few months.

Makes me sad to know my car is not doing what it should, but I guess the winter did not help, and I also assume that the traffic, & heavier/wider tires do not help either.

Let us know what happens with your next few tanks of gas.

And also, let us know if anything breaks, as the last time I have read about this, one of the pumps in the car broke.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
So I drive pretty spiritedly. I used to get about 35-36 mpg when i used to do a mostly freeway commute. Now because of my new job i drive in stop and go traffic to and from work. And usually get 29-31 depending on how i drive.

I would assume with the NST pulley since it is lighter and less rotational mass one who does more stop and go driving would benefit more from it than someone who does mostly longer consistant speed commute. Since it requires less power from a stop to go than it does to keep at a constant rotational higher speed.

And my last tank jumped to 35mpg. The most i ever got for months. I am hoping its not a fluke as there are many variables. But im awaiting to post my results again the next fuel up. If its the same than the pulley will pay itself of in fuel ecnomy alone especially if gas prices rise. I drive very aggresively so i can imagine if i backed off the throttle a bit i would get even better results. I hit redline on a daily basis.
Glad to hear about your positive experience so far, I hope you don't mind that I quote you on this in our comprehensive thread.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4737

The majority of our customers have noticed 1-3 mpg better after installing NST pulleys.

Please report back and tell us how you do in the future.

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
If this increased mileage without any side effects the OEM's would be all over it, and all new cars would come with lightened / underdriven crank pulleys.

Oh I forgot the harmonic vibration issue! and a heavier crank pulleys ability to dampen harsh clutch engagements etc. Plus the fact your alternator and air conditioning, etc are also underdriven so they are no longer as efficient.

Lets face it, this is a performance mod, for a real 2-3 wheel hp that will increase mileage minimally but there are some shortcommings. I feel the gains are worth the shortcommings so I went with it . On my Yaris my mileage decreased but only because I like how the engine revs up so quick now that I'm on the gas all the time.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
YarisSedan

i actually went with the non underdrive its the same oem size just lightend. The damping effects of the factory one is overated in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Dallas read this:

Then you may want to re-think your statement about the effects to the a/c, alt, w/p, and the damping. I know you picked the underdrive pully but did you do the research before you bought it or do it because everyone else was doing it? If you don't want to read the thread then I'll help you out. NST did all the R&D to have minimal effect on all acc. and have thousands of reviews on different sites with great reviews and no problems. So when if at all do these so called shortcommings happen or feel the effect of them?
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
YarisSedan

i dont have a underdrive pulley
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
I don't research from manufacturers claims, they want to sell you a product. There are a tons of Underdrive pulley mfg around with Unorhodox being the big one. Pulleys are not new or rocket science, there are downsides to this mod, just very hard to qualify both ways. If you go do some research specifically from S.A.E test papers on this subject you will be enlightended. I'm just saying I did the mod for the extra H.p at the sacrifice of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Dallas read this:

Then you may want to re-think your statement about the effects to the a/c, alt, w/p, and the damping. I know you picked the underdrive pully but did you do the research before you bought it or do it because everyone else was doing it? If you don't want to read the thread then I'll help you out. NST did all the R&D to have minimal effect on all acc. and have thousands of reviews on different sites with great reviews and no problems. So when if at all do these so called shortcommings happen or feel the effect of them?
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Okay another update today i got 36.6mpg. And that was driving to redline atleast once a day. Just filled it up this morning and did a oil change with royal purple 5w20 with a K&N oil filter. Going to drive very gently this next fillup to see if i can make it to 40mpg with only local non freeway driving.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
I'll get my log book and pitch in some info. I've been doing a "long term" analysis. I have the 10% UD, along with the other two pulleys. I've been meaning to do a write up for NST's thread. If I remember to do it tonight, I will.
<><><>
Okay, maybe not! Just checking my notes. I had the pulleys on for about 700 miles before I swapped my Racing Hart wheels. The tires are slightly SHORTER diameter, so I guess I need to go back to the stockers for a better analysis! D'OH
Sorry.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote