Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #613
Vanquisher

Drives: 2007 Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
This is a great reason to buy through a reseller who will take care of you when problems arise.
Agreed!
Vanquisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #614
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
This is a great reason to buy through a YarisWorld-verified reseller with the strength and awesomeness of a thousand men who will take care of you when problems arise.
FTFY
Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #615
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11

Long time no see YW!

As many of you know, and have on your cars, we set up design and development on Yaris pulleys back in 2007 and ran the original GB here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3239

Unfortunately, due to lack of demand and slow market conditions, we had to stop mass production on our Yaris pulleys and make them available only as special order items, a couple years ago.

We are considering a Dec/Jan group buy on a run of crank pulleys, at a discounted group buy price, if the community is interested.

All pulleys would be the same lightweight aluminum we've always used and a special run of colors would be made available: red, blue, black, gold, purple.

Would you guys and girls be interested in such an offer?

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #616
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
You just missed me, I just bought a complete set a couple days ago from CTScott.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #617
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Mike I've been trying to get in touch with NST. I'll message you
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #618
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Mike, have you made any substantial changes to your designs? There are quite a few broken NST pulleys (crank and water pump) out there now with the old design.

Maybe start here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ken+nst+pulley

with some customer service.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #619
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Would you guys and girls be interested in such an offer?
Any chance I can get'em in Germany without crazy shipping prices?
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #620
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
my water pump pully has a really DEEP groove worn into the pulley from the belt. Is there maybe a exchange that could be done with broken or worn pulleys?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #621
NonStopTuning

Every NST pulley has always come with a one year warranty. Out of thousands of pulleys we've sold, a few have had issues and those few have been replaced. We have tried to work with those outside the warranty periods as well. No one has ever been told, "sorry, you're out of luck" when the proper steps have been taken. Warranty claims and questions are best handled, and a mutual solution for both parties is always best reached, via one-on-one communication through email, not through internet forum posts.

I encourage customers with issues to please email us. Trying to hurt our reputation/sales on the forums only makes matters worse and makes it more difficult for us to try to assist you.

Our design on our crank pulleys and water pump pulleys has changed slightly. Our new pulleys have holes in them, rather than slots. Holes seem to hold up slightly better in the long run, though there is not a huge amount of difference. There are thousands of NST customers running pulleys with slots in them since 2005. Are there a few cases where pulleys have cracked? Yes. Are there thousands of other very happy customers? Absolutely.

If we move forward and the community wants to support our products, we would be happy to offer a group buy discount and move forward with this idea. If not, we will continue to offer pulleys on a special order basis, as we have over the past few years.

Many thanks, best of luck with all your projects everyone!

MIKE @ NST

Old 12-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #622
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
My 10% underdrive crank pulley came to me in 2008 and has been great for me however the one question I do have is whether or not you have a pulley that can handle 7-8k rpm operation without coming apart? Right now my research and past experience by another member is that once you really get into the more extreme rpm range you are pretty much going to have to use a stock pulley because these "upgraded" pulleys cannot handle the stresses at that level. Thoughts?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #623
Chuckie

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Just received my CR Lite Crank Pulley on special order. Took awhile but really hoping it was worth the wait. Thank you NST...
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #624
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Mike, have you made any substantial changes to your designs? There are quite a few broken NST pulleys (crank and water pump) out there now with the old design.

Maybe start here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ken+nst+pulley

with some customer service.
This is one of the best posts ever.....at least since 2009
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #625
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
My 10% underdrive crank pulley came to me in 2008 and has been great for me however the one question I do have is whether or not you have a pulley that can handle 7-8k rpm operation without coming apart? Right now my research and past experience by another member is that once you really get into the more extreme rpm range you are pretty much going to have to use a stock pulley because these "upgraded" pulleys cannot handle the stresses at that level. Thoughts?
Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words.

Your NST crank pulley should be able to withstand RPMs higher than the OEM range. I realize there was a case where one of these pulleys cracked on a higher RPM engine, but I also know based on my personal experiences with our pulleys on several high revving race engines of our own, our pulleys have stood the test of time on several race engines constantly banging limiter, at 8,000 rpm and above.

The NST AE86 ran a Toyota 4AG turbo setup (OEM 4AG 100hp 7500rpm) making over 350hp and going past 8,000rpm from 2007-2012. Same setup, same NST crank pulley, no pulley failure. Our current Formula Drift AE86 runs a Honda F20 turbo setup (OEM F20 200hp 8500rpm) and makes over 500hp going past 9,000rpm.

This has also been the case with other NST race cars, 4cyl, V8, n/a, turbo, supercharged, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

Side Note: IF in theory, the NST crank pulley is not able to withstand higher than OEM RPMs, then neither should the OEM pulley be able to withstand such RPMs, being that the prevailing thought pattern has always gone down the road that, "the Toyota pulley is designed for this engine, the displacement, and the RPM range." Real world data and theoretical discussions are not always the same.

Best of luck with all your projects!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #626
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Just received my CR Lite Crank Pulley on special order. Took awhile but really hoping it was worth the wait. Thank you NST...
Awesome! I certainly hope you are happy with your new pulley.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #627
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words.

Your NST crank pulley should be able to withstand RPMs higher than the OEM range. I realize there was a case where one of these pulleys cracked on a higher RPM engine, but I also know based on my personal experiences with our pulleys on several high revving race engines of our own, our pulleys have stood the test of time on several race engines constantly banging limiter, at 8,000 rpm and above.

Side Note: IF in theory, the NST crank pulley is not able to withstand higher than OEM RPMs, then neither should the OEM pulley be able to withstand such RPMs, being that the prevailing thought pattern has always gone down the road that, "the Toyota pulley is designed for this engine, the displacement, and the RPM range." Real world data and theoretical discussions are not always the same.

There is something odd going on with the 1NZFE at high RPM that causes it to reject aftermarket crank pulleys. Lost one of yours at 7300rpm on one motor, had an issue with a Beatrush pulley on another.

The OE pulley has been running solid at 7500rpm.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #628
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
There is something odd going on with the 1NZFE at high RPM that causes it to reject aftermarket crank pulleys. Lost one of yours at 7300rpm on one motor, had an issue with a Beatrush pulley on another.

The OE pulley has been running solid at 7500rpm.
Perhaps a solid (no holes, no slots) lightweight crank pulley is worth a try, something that we have the ability to produce for race use - going past 7500rpm.

For street cars, our regular Underdrive Crank Pulley and NST CR-Lite Crank Pulley should be, and have proven over the years to be, sufficient.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #629
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Perhaps a solid (no holes, no slots) lightweight crank pulley is worth a try, something that we have the ability to produce for race use - going past 7500rpm.

For street cars, our regular Underdrive Crank Pulley and NST CR-Lite Crank Pulley should be, and have proven over the years to be, sufficient.

The slots/holes were not the point of failure for us, it was the mounting point. There is very little cross section around the mounting hole, once the unit failed we could see that. The front and back cuts in that area left very little material in the corner, it was not as thick as the face of the pulley, and this is where it cracked.

After the NST failure I went back to the OE piece. Some time later we found the Beatrush unit, tried it on another motor and the Micro Image piece on our 2012. The Beatrush unit was much beefier, but ultimately still had an issue - I was very disappointed when we got it because we were given the impression it had an elastomer damper, but it did not, and it was nearly as heavy as the OE piece. Once we noticed a problem with the Beatrush (took almost a year) we went back to stock on both cars. It just wasn't worth the risk for us.

I believe the issue may be accessory related. Not having a self tension belt system on the 1NZFE means there is nothing to help absorb the vibration once you eliminate the dampened crank pulley.

I sure would like to see ATI or Fluidampr build one.

Our NST (the exterior damage is road rash from when it popped off and passed me on the track):

Beatrush, has a more material around the bolt area, but still has issues beyond 7300rpm:

When Micro Image designed its pulley they addressed the cross section/mounting point concern, and still managed to build a very light pulley, but we never ran one long enough to see if it would let us down:
Old 12-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #630
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Not to hijack but I've been wanting to inquire about a fixed pulley for my blitz kit. I know one was made. And have had no luck trying to reach over the phone and haven't had a chance to email. Think you can help?