Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #199
Shijima

Drives: 07 HB
Why wouldent he be, obviously his son doesnt want it!
Shijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #200
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Gains and dyno results can vary on different cars based on several factors. Supporting mods, weather, humidity, sea level, etc. But most sport compacts that have been tested show gains of about 6-10hp and torque increases with an NST pulley kit. Based on those experiences we can probably expect gains of about 5 HP and TQ on the 1NZ.

NST Pulley Kits provide very good throttle response, and they provide good power gains accross the entire RPM band. Usually an intake, exhaust, or header will only provide gains in one area, maybe the lower, or the higher power band, or maybe just at peak power points. Pulleys shift the entire power curve UP. Meaning the gains are always there. This is in part due to the great weight reduction in the rotating assembly.

Please take a look at the following... These are the results we've seen in some of our testing. ALL cars were 100% bone stock. Before and after runs were done on the same day, same dyno, within a few hours of one another. Some of these cars were even Auto Transmission cars. As you can see, the NST curves are higher than the OEM curves at every single point on the power band...

Automatic 2004 Infiniti G35. Bone stock...

Automatic 2006 Acura TSX. Bone stock...

Manual 2005 Lotus Elise. Some of the lightest OEM pulleys ever produced...

This one is a 2006 Manual Civic Si. This one was sent to us by one of our customers in South America...

We have absolutely nothing to hide, nor are we in the business of producing and shoving junk down anyone's throat! I have been working with pulleys in one way or another for the past 10 years and pulleys are what I do 24/7. I take A LOT of pride in what I do, and would not take pride in building junk!

We do not post garbage information, nor do we try to make claims of 11hp and 18tq like some of our competition
We give you real world estimates seen from real world testing that we have done on real world cars. R&D, test, R&D, test some more, enjoy.

Thanks to all of you who have supported NST thus far. I certainly do appreciate it very much. Good luck and have fun with all your projects!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #201
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
That's what I want to see 1st. The Lotus graph looks terrible, what happened at 6k?
Why do the Lotus graphs look terrible? The Lotus Elise and Exige are basically track ready cars out of the box. The Elise has some of the lightest and most efficient OEM pulleys I have ever worked with, and NST pulleys still provided positive gains.

What happens around 6,000 RPM is the Toyota Variable Valve Timing (VVTi / VVTLi) that kicks in. The engine makes a lot more power from 6,000 to redline, as evident in the graphs there.

The same thing can be seen in the dyno chart above posted about the Civic Si and the Acura TSX. Vtec kicks in around 6,000 RPM and power increases significantly.

As you can see, NST pulleys continue to free up power even beyond this point.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #202
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
well I jumped on the bandwagon and installed my crank pulley.... besides having the little bit of bling under the hood, there is a noticably better throttle responce, those extra 5HP to the wheels you can feel too, and for those of you that have tweeked on the exaust like I have it smooths out that rough idle a lot.... and this pulley combinded with the NST Short Shifter, it makes this car so much more fun to drive! never thought a pulley could do so much, but now that I have the crank pulley I can not wait for the final installment of pulleys

If you do not already own one of these you are missing out
Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #203
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Drives: Scions
Mike & NST are a proven gain unit. Their units are reliable, excellent in construction and I personally use their products for my cars! They are an excellent company and we only deal companies that we know stand behind their products as much as we do.

On that note, we have crank pulleys in stock! Come and get em!
W: www.dezod.com

Your leading source for all of your performance needs! From turbos and components, to brakes and suspension, Dezod has you covered.
Dezod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #204
TheCutsman

Drives: 07 Meteorite 3 Dr Liftback
One of my buddies said a harmonic balancer is needed to put this on. Is this true?? I saw a few posts about engine vibration and was wondering if maybe not using the balancer had anything to do with that.
Tanabe Strut Tower Bar
Fujita F5 CAI
Autometer Tach
NST Quickshifter
TheCutsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #205
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCutsman View Post
One of my buddies said a harmonic balancer is needed to put this on. Is this true?? I saw a few posts about engine vibration and was wondering if maybe not using the balancer had anything to do with that.
These pulleys do not have a dampening ring,which will lead to more engine vibration down low. Will it have an effect on engine bearing life? Only time will tell I guess.

Its my experience with toyota you can't kill these things if you wanted to,so I would not be surprized if the engine still went 200k miles + anyways.

I am not trying to dirt NST's product,as I have seen tons and tons of people very happy with their product and actualy not one complaint. I just think people should be informed on all aspects of the modifications they are doing to their cars.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #206
NonStopTuning

This is actually the fourth time we are covering this subject of vibrations, balancing, and dampers again. But I don't mind, I understand that your cars are a very large investment for all of you and I prefer that you be intelligent and informed about all your modifications. So here we go again... Please take a few minutes to read everything I have posted here, as I worked hard on trying to give you a good explanation on the topic...

In the past many engines were externally balanced. There was an external balancer attached to the outside of the engine, on the crank snout, used to balance the engine externally. The crank pulley in such engines would then be attached to this balancer. Removal of this balancer is a bad idea. These balancers were most often used on large (6 to 8) V shaped engines of the domestic muscle car era.

Take a look at any modern (1980s and beyond) Honda, Toyota, Nissan, or other japanese inline 4 and you will find no such balancer. These engines are all internally balanced, and this process has improved even further since the late 1990s. So the topic of a BALANCER does not apply here.

What you will find on ALL engines is a harmonic damper. This is a small rubber band, litterally less than 2mm, less than 1/8th of an inch, thick that is built into the crank pulley. OEM crank pulleys are often called DAMPERS. Try placing an order for a crank pulley at your Toyota dealer and your invoice will read damper. This rubber is used to absorb something called NVH, noise/vibration/harshness. Suffice it to say, this rubber is actually not very good at performing its intended purpose after as little as a few thousand miles. What happens to rubber after a couple years of humidity, weather, snow, rain, etc? It often becomes brittle, hard, and crunchy. Can something with these properties actually absorb vibrations very well?

Many many NST customers, including people on your own forums, have reported smoother running engines with NST pulleys. Especially at idle. How is this possible if the rubber is such a vital and super important piece??? Perhaps the rubber is not as important as it is cracked up to be???

Furthermore....

On the topic of the rubber damper, engine vibrations, or possible threats resulting from elimination of this rubber piece...

On a relatively understressed near stock motor with bolt ons or low amounts of boost like what most of the people on this forum probably run, a solid pulley will not have any life threatening consiquences. The factory pulley with a 2mm (less than a 1/8th inch) damper is primarily there for wide band NVH (noise vibration harshness) supression from the engine and driveline. Removing the damper and replacing it with a solid pulley may lead to minor addtional NVH but will not harm the engine. In fact, most people claim their engines seem to run smoother with NST pulleys.

The engineering reasons are that most modern engines have a short, strong crank with, a relatively high natural frequency. The dangerous second harmonic that can cause damage occurs at an rpm that this sort of engine will never see, in the area above 10,000 rpm. Even the stock damper is not tuned for attinuation at this sort of rpm so the argument is somewhat of a moot point.

Now small engines that are pushing the limit with lots of revs, wimpy cranks, super long strokes, lots of boost and dwelling in the upper rpm ranges for long periods of time can benefit from a damper designed to deal with this sort of operation but our engine is not like this, and probably very few people with this motor on this forum push the envelope that hard. How many 1.5Liter, 400HP, 11,000RPM Yaris motors do we have on these forums?

As far as I can tell, our engine has a strong and stiff bottom end that is well built for our intended use. It has an internaly balanced crankshaft which is less like to break due to torsional vibration.

There are a lot of Nissan guys who use underdrive crank pulleys in road racing series like NASA or SCCA. Road racing is much more punishing on an engine than other motorsports. The engine is subjected to run times lasting 23 to 45 minutes with the engine always in the upper ranges of its rpm limit. One race weekend is the equivlent of hundreds of 1/4 mile passes.

NST sponsors the first ever wheel to wheel Scion tC NASA Road Race car. This car has been using underdrive pulleys from NST with great results since day one.

NST also sponsors two drift cars participating in the professional US drift series, Fromula Drift. Both of these cars have been using NST pulleys with no issues of any kind for the past few seasons.

We could go on and on...

Is a solid crank pulley harmless to all engines? No it is not. Small, super high reving engines, when modified way past the simple bolt on stages may have problems. These engines reach critcal harmonics, past the 10,000 rpm range, an rpm often reached by certain race engines.

A mildly modded inline six will most likely be fine but one subjected to high rpm for long periods of time (90% of its life) with lots of boost will probably suffer. In this case , the stock balancer/damper is probably not adequate either.

Some of the older american V8 engines are externaly balanced and it is critical not to use a solid hub pulley not designed for these applications, or damage to the engine could result.

Our engines and most around here do not fall into the above catagories. Rest assured that your engines will not blow up and die or have a reduced life in street and even racing use with these parts.

I would bet that every "expert" that tells you otherwise has little personal, practical, real world experience with the subject.

Again, I understand that your cars are a very large investment and that you depend on them as your daily means of transportation, so I do not take your questions personally. However, this is the fourth time I have addresed this on YarisWorld. If I have to post this info once a month in this same thread, I will continue to do so. I do not take pride in building junk. No NST product is junk. No NST product is designed to cause you any harm or grief. I am not in business to sell junk. PERIOD.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #207
Motorhead6T5

Well you got a good sales pitch and all,but unless you have measured bearing clearances on the crank on high mileage 1nz-fe's and then compared it to normal wear on a engine with the same amount of miles with the pulley,its all speculation and crossing fingers. Road race cars are not expected to live long lives and typicaly don't if they are taken far from stock. So saying the thing lives though road racing is not the type of thing I'm talking about. I'm Talking about spinning a bearing at 120k and being out a motor,loss of oil pressure etc. I'm not claiming to be an "expert",I do however work on engines and know their function.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #208
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
Well you got a good sales pitch and all,but unless you have measured bearing clearances on the crank on high mileage 1nz-fe's and then compared it to normal wear on a engine with the same amount of miles with the pulley,its all speculation and crossing fingers. Road race cars are not expected to live long lives and typicaly don't if they are taken far from stock. So saying the thing lives though road racing is not the type of thing I'm talking about. I'm Talking about spinning a bearing at 120k and being out a motor,loss of oil pressure etc. I'm not claiming to be an "expert",I do however work on engines and know their function.
Everyone appreciates your concern, but when the president of a company who has spent his entire life working on pulleys and only pulleys takes time out of his day to type a lengthy and thorough reply to your post and you come back to say your mind was made up before he said anything... I don't know man. There is a difference between an expert and a home garage gearhead, and Mike is the expert here.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 AM   #209
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
You are absolutely correct. I know you are not an expert, nor have I ever claimed to be an expert of any type. I have only worked with pulleys in one way or another for almost a decade, and I have only about 100 different applications listed on my website.

You should take everything I say and throw it into the trash, I am only here to sell you a product

You should not take my word for anything. Visit the following message boards and see if you can find any customers who have ever had any problems with any NST products. Find ONE person....

www.YarisWorld.com
www.8thCivic.com
www.ScionLife.com
www.houston240sx.com
www.ziptied.com
www.dailyDrifter.com

Search those forums or any other website where people have actually used NST pulleys over the past however many years. See if you can find anyone who has had any problems with any NST product.

It is your car and you should do with it as you see fit. You should never follow anyone blindly, nor should you base your beliefs or values based on what so called "expert" friends of friends tell you in local muffler shops!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #210
Motorhead6T5

Fair enough,Like I said before I have only heard great things about your products,I only have great things to say about your product thats on my car.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #211
NonStopTuning

Do we have any new NST users with new reviews? Updates from current users? Any other questions/comments?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #212
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
small update, something people might find useful, my beslt used to squeak a lot after installing the pulley. But that was because I turned on the air conditioning soon after turning on the engine, and the extra drag would cause the belt to slip and squeak.

So the solution, wait till you're moving to turn on the air conditioner, it's probably better for the engine in the long run anyway

You could also probably resolve this through tightening the belt by rotating the alternator slightly upward, but I have not been able to loosen the damn bolts

Apart from that, I am more than happy with my crank pulley, and can't wait to be able to get the rest of the family

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #213
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I am fully enjoying my NST quickshifter. Tight and crisp!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #214
csts

Drives: Yaris RS
Hey everyone this is my first post here

I have two noob questions concerning the pulleys

1st: I live in Montreal, Canada and our winters can get quite cold. Will it have any extreme effects on the pulley due to the aluminum construction?

2nd: will it mess in any way with the warranty?

csts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #215
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I want my A/C to blow a whole 2mph faster on max AC speeds!!!

I demand Lighweight A/C pully now!

Actually I dont see why not, it would just mean more $$ in the bank for NST!!
I would buy, but the point is not to use A/C while in High Performance use.
I live in the desert and my a/c is ALWAYS on. I think if this piece were to be built, it'd motivate me to do the entire pulley set. :)
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #216
Shijima

Drives: 07 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by csts View Post
Hey everyone this is my first post here

I have two noob questions concerning the pulleys

1st: I live in Montreal, Canada and our winters can get quite cold. Will it have any extreme effects on the pulley due to the aluminum construction?

2nd: will it mess in any way with the warranty?

I cant answer number one, But would definitly like to know the answer.

Two however, if your engine breaks down, I can guarantee if you have the pulleys on, and the dealership sees that, they will void your warranty and blame the pulleys.
Shijima is offline   Reply With Quote