Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #415
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
tried to PM, but u gotta delete some first so...

hey, i was thinkin about underdriving but it's seriously not suggested for my camaro as a daily driver. i was wondering what you would say as a economical standpoint on the underdrive. i'm worried about longevity over power...i have a 500hp camaro for power...

any way, i'm going with the alt and wp pullies as well, but dont know about underdriving.

any way, PM or reply here pls.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #416
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i'm confused here, some are stating smoother idling, and someone in a thread even reported it being dead-quiet..but others are stating rough idles...my guess is the belt tension, but I'm just curious what's up
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #417
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
From "Bling" to "Zing"

Well after putting them on a chain and wearing them like "bling" for a few weeks, my complete underdrive pulley set was installed today !! Now when I take off from a dead stop I have "Zing" !! There is definitely a difference with initial "launching" and in throttle response when I shift between gears.

Second, I can't believe the difference in pulley weights. When I put a factory pulley in one hand, and a NST "RED" in the other, the weight difference was so significant that you could "guess" that the NST pulley "felt" 40-50 percent lighter. Don't know exact specs, but I do know it's amazing how much lighter they are !!

SHOUT OUT TO MIKE NACARATO
Went to his house this morning and he had my complete set installed in 90 minutes. He's got all the tools, know how, and passion for what he's doin'. I got to ask questions and torque the water pump pulley while he loosened it! This is what Yarisworld should be about. Fellow members helping each other out for the common coolness of cars!! This just got me more excited for the Import Alliance gathering in July.
ONCE AGAIN, THANKS MIKE !!
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #418
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
glad you like it randy and im happy to help. just hope nothing falls apart ;) jk lol
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #419
lammy29

Drives: Yaris
does the lite set work for the 1.3 2SZ-FE?
lammy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #420
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
I did notice on my auto sedan when going up a hill it didnt do that stupid gear hunting .
Nice! I'm glad to hear this also helped resolve your "gear hunting".
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #421
d1nzfe

Drives: 1NZ-FE
Hi NST pulley users, I would like to know if you guys have this sign of wear and tear on your WP-lite pulley?

d1nzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #422
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
Sorry to have to be the first with a negative comment, but the I got the underdrive pulley and seriously.....it's not really like everyone says. It's not what it's all hyped up to be. It does however help when I'm on the freeway doing a downhill pull but the the pulley doesn't do much until 4-5k when your almost out of run to do it.

Underdrive pulley does have negative effect on AC. it's the only thing I noticed after installing it. Ac isn't as cold as it used to be but it's something I figured would happen. I'm pretty sure though this lightened pulley will open up horse power for later boost applications though.

Not trying to bash NST or anything btw. I have their SSK and it's frikken sweet! but I just don't think the pulleys are what everyone on the forums hype it up to be.

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #423
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1nzfe View Post
Hi NST pulley users, I would like to know if you guys have this sign of wear and tear on your WP-lite pulley?

This is typical and happens with all pulleys over time. Nothing to be concerned with, or worry about.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #424
d1nzfe

Drives: 1NZ-FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
This is typical and happens with all pulleys over time. Nothing to be concerned with, or worry about.

does this mean we have to change it just like the stock one?]
anyone have issue with a worn one??
d1nzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #425
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1nzfe View Post
does this mean we have to change it just like the stock one?]
anyone have issue with a worn one??
Nothing to be concerned with, or worry about.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #426
jmunchar

Drives: Toyota Vios
I just have something to ask all the guys that have installed the NST pulleys. I am currently driving a sedan auto. Will installing either underdrive pulley or the lite pulley effect the top speed of my car? I know that it will help in the early pick up but what about the top speed?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #427
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunchar View Post
I just have something to ask all the guys that have installed the NST pulleys. I am currently driving a sedan auto. Will installing either underdrive pulley or the lite pulley effect the top speed of my car? I know that it will help in the early pick up but what about the top speed?
Good question.

NST Pulleys do not change the top speed of your Yaris, but they will allow your engine to rev up to speed more quickly, thus reaching your top speed more quickly and with less effort.

NST Pulleys lead to better throttle response, better hp and tq delivery, quicker acceleration, and better fuel economy.

NST PULLEY OWNERS, please feel free to chime in. We would greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #428
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ok, i'll ask again since noone wants to answer in a week or two...and a PM box is still full.

hey, i was thinkin about underdriving but it's seriously not suggested for my camaro as a daily driver. i was wondering what you would say as a economical standpoint on the underdrive. i'm worried about longevity over power...i have a 500hp camaro for power...i'd rather keep my alt n wp in tact as well as AC. plus i dont want any flickering lights.

any way, i'm going with the alt and wp pullies as well, but dont know about underdriving.

so anyone with any long-life problems underdriving other than a weak AC? like, lights flickering or low charge on battery...overheating engine or higher temps???
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #429
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
ok, i'll ask again since noone wants to answer in a week or two...and a PM box is still full.

hey, i was thinkin about underdriving but it's seriously not suggested for my camaro as a daily driver. i was wondering what you would say as a economical standpoint on the underdrive. i'm worried about longevity over power...i have a 500hp camaro for power...i'd rather keep my alt n wp in tact as well as AC. plus i dont want any flickering lights.

so anyone with any long-life problems underdriving other than a weak AC? like, lights flickering or low charge on battery...overheating engine or higher temps???
First, thank you for your interest in our site and products, we appreciate it.

Second, then answers to all your questions are here in this thread.

So I will try to give you the short version here...

1. Underdriving on certain applications is not recommended. Furthermore, the older, more traditional pulley kits out there used to underdrive the accessories by a very large amount... ie. 40%-50%. Especially on muscle cars, where the majority of owners were thought to be purchasing such kits for RACE applications, not street. Even the majority of the older kits that were made to cater to Japanese imports were built this way.

2. NST stepped into the picture in 2005 with the understanding that the majority of our customers who are modifying small imports these days, are doing so with their daily driven cars. Our Underdrive Crank Pulley for the Yaris underdrives the accessories by only 10%. NOT enough to cause any premature problems with any of the accessories, but enough to provide a few extra ponies to drive the wheels.

Again, MUCH of this info, and a whole lot more, is provided throughout this thread.

Furthermore, we have THOUSANDS of happy customers on the following forums...

www.YarisWorld.com
www.ScionLife.com
www.8thCivic.com
www.Club4AG.com
www.MicroImageOnline.com
www.86Garage.com
etc etc etc

THOUSANDS of user reviews when it comes to NST Pulleys, 99.99999% of them positive.

The horror stories that applied to our grandfathers' pulley kits do not apply to NST pulleys.
Not all pulleys are created equal, and NO OTHER pulley is an NST pulley.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #430
thunderracing91

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LB
I read on this thread that installing the pulleys your a\c will not work as good. How much of a difference will i notice.
thunderracing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #431
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i didnt notice any difference. pulleys have been on for a few months now with nothing but good results. i also have the underdrive set and a system installed in the car and have never once had any slight electrical issue with it being underdriven.

dont think....just do....do nst pulleys today!
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #432
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Just wondering; If these parts provide so many benefits, why does'nt Toyota install them in the factory from the get go??

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote