Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #469
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
I just got to install my first of many to come NST products! I just put on my U-Drive pully it's amazing!!! Car idles smoother and revs faster its great!!! I'll post more in a week when I get some more seat time with it! Thanks Mike for a great product.
Thank you for supporting said great product

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #470
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Would this be worth is in a auto tranny? 07?
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #471
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
whats the diff between the stock diameter and the underdrive/overdriver (if there is one) I am about to get an entire pully set and wanna get the most HP gain for off the line.
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #472
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongopants View Post
whats the diff between the stock diameter and the underdrive/overdriver (if there is one) I am about to get an entire pully set and wanna get the most HP gain for off the line.
The Underdrive Crank Pulley is our most popular. This pulley, combined with the Alt & WP kit, offers the BEST all around performance and fuel economy for any manual or auto Yaris... n/a or turbocharged.

The CR-Lite Crank Pulley is the way to go for supercharged owners.

Reading through the many pages of this thread will explain these concepts further.

Feel free to give us a call and stop by our Houston showroom to chat further, take a look at all our products firsthand, and pick up a set if you're interested.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #473
NonStopTuning

Anyone else?!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #474
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I just ordered my pulleys this morning, the underdrive crank pulley and the other two. I read this entire thread over the last couple of evenings and the feedback cannot be ignored :-) I decided to go with the gray ones, so they aren't that obvious in case someone takes a peek at my engine. In California they are not legal unless they have a C.A.R.B. E.O., if I understand this correctly. But oh well, how can improved HP and gas mileage be bad for you or the environment? :-) Having said that, I can't wait!

The Short Shift Kit and the shifting bushings are also on the list :-)

Mike,

I got a question for you, how hard/tricky is to install the pulleys for a typical DIY enthusiast? What I am most concerned about is to get things like belt tension correctly after I'm done and not break anything in the process :-)

I've installed a Radio/CD/MP3 player, towing hitch, electrical towing harness on my Yaris so far and I'm installing a cold air intake this weekend. But the pulleys seem to be by far the most "advanced" project - kinda pushing the limit of my comfort level. But on the other hand I want to do it myself, so I can bragg about it later ;-) What are your thoughts? If I get stuck, the auto shop is right around the corner I can push the Yaris over there ;-)

Oh and I got the rear windows plus trunk window tinted today... sweet! The ICW Racing wheels have been ordered and expected to arrive some time next week, yeah baby! :-)
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #475
NonStopTuning

fmicle,

Thank you for your interest in our site and products, we certainly do appreciate it.

NST Pulleys DO NOT change the engine's breathing or exhaust system, and
therefore do not change the air fuel ratio, nor the ECU's engine control
characteristics/programs.

Due to these reasons, there are no CARB or "smog" issues to worry about. As a result, no CARB sticker is necessary. DO NOT let anyone tell you otherwise.

Installation is not very difficult, and there are a couple good DIY installation guides on YW. The most difficult part of the process is breaking loose the crank pulley bolt, the one bolt that holds this pulley in place. You should be able to break it loose with the proper tools and will need a torque wrench to reinstall your bolt back to roughly 120lb ft torque.

Your belt tensioner is an automatic piece, which will make belt installation a breeze. Just install the NST pulleys, install your OEM belt, and tighten everything up.

Having said all of this, we recommend that everyone seek the assistance of a trained professional if they are at all uneasy or concerned about proper installation. NST pulleys have been proven to work time and time again, and we can not be held responsible for any damage caused by improper installation or any accidental damage during the install process.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with all your projects!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #476
fmicle

Alright, I just finished installing the underdrive crank pulley and the water pump pulley. I must say, I was afraid I was going to have difficulties with the crank pulley bolt, but it came off easily for me. Tightening it back together was a whole different story though :-) I was lucky that my neighbor came home as I was struggling and trying to figure out a way to prevent the damn pulley from turning, so I improvised with a rope and he held onto it, so I could torque it up to spec.

The water pump pulley was a bitch... Much more difficult to install than the crank pulley in my opinion, because it's much harder to get to. Anyway the 3 screws don't need that much torque though, so I managed again with the rope setup by myself.

Since I got the underdrive pulley, the mark I had made on the alternator support groove was useless, and I had to pull the alternator farther toward the front of the car to take the slack from the belt. After I tightened the bolt I felt it with my hand and it didn't feel as tight as before... But I took a test drive and everything seems good. I will admit that I didn't feel much of a difference, maybe because it's late and I'm tired or because I had my expectations a little too high... nevertheless I am happy, I thought it felt a little zippier on the freeway though... but it could all be in my head :-)

Unfortunately, I didn't get to install the alternator pulley, since I don't have the right tools. That seems to be a little tricky, it looks like I need 2 wrenches at the same time, one to hold onto the axle and the other to unscrew the nut.

Anyway, if anyone has a few words of wisdom regarding the driving belt, it will surely be appreciated.

I even turned on the AC on my test drive and everything was fine, no squeaking or funny noises. I remember my previous car (1998 Jeep Cherokee) used to squeak like hell when the engine was cold if I had the AC on (and I always thought the driving belt was a little loose, but was too lazy to get it fixed).
Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #477
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Hey I just did my first auto-x with my u-drive pully yesterday and leaving it in second gear was great the car actually responded when I punched it in the lower RPM range. Thank you for the great product Mike!!! NST FTW!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #478
lunjiaow

Drives: Yaris
Got a pulley set from Garm the other day. Great quality. Very light. Put them in today. Couldnt feel a difference. Must be better for manual transmissions. Will have to drive the car a bit harder.
lunjiaow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #479
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Can you explain why the CR Lite pulley is better suited for supercharged cars? Like will there be a issue if I use that pulley? I plan on getting a supercharger down the road and I don't want 2 pullies. If you could explain the difference between the CR Lite and the Underdrive, I think I can finally make a decision haha. Also I believe I read that the underdrive pulley is smaller than stock and since I have no A/C I will have to get a shorter belt. Is the CR Lite pulley the same diameter as stock?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #480
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post
Can you explain why the CR Lite pulley is better suited for supercharged cars? Like will there be a issue if I use that pulley? I plan on getting a supercharger down the road and I don't want 2 pullies. If you could explain the difference between the CR Lite and the Underdrive, I think I can finally make a decision haha. Also I believe I read that the underdrive pulley is smaller than stock and since I have no A/C I will have to get a shorter belt. Is the CR Lite pulley the same diameter as stock?
The underdrive pulley is a little smaller, so it ends up spinning the water pump, alternator, A/C compressor, etc a bit slower (10% in the case of NST underdrive crank pulley). This is enough to free up a little bit of power and at the same time not affect the other functions. Unless your stereo or some other electrical app requires a lot of power, you won't feel the difference just because the pulleys are spinning a little slower. It's like changing your driving style to 10% less rpm...

The basic idea is that smaller and lighter needs less energy to spin (accelerating and decelerating), so your engine will feel more responsive.

You don't need a shorter belt, you just need to adjust the alternator on the groove, pull it a little to take the slack out of the belt after you install the pulley. At least that's what I did on mine and so far it's been working fine.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #481
AznGouki
Metsu

Fmicle do you have A/C? I think it's Barber that has the underdrive installed and had to change his belt. Would there be a draw back if I use the CR Lite w/o a supercharger? I would imagine not since I'm thinking all it is, is a pulley that is significantly lighter.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #482
NonStopTuning

The NST Underdrive Crank Pulley is intended for n/a or turbo applications. This pulley should not be used with a supercharger because it would lower PSI on such an application.

You can use the NST CR-Lite on n/a, turbo, or SC applications.

You can use the CR-Lite now and keep it installed once you install your supercharger.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #483
fmicle

Quote:
Fmicle do you have A/C? I think it's Barber that has the underdrive installed and had to change his belt. Would there be a draw back if I use the CR Lite w/o a supercharger? I would imagine not since I'm thinking all it is, is a pulley that is significantly lighter.
Yes, I do have A/C and just got back from a trip to L.A. (from San Jose), and I had the A/C on 90% of the time. I must add that the car performed excellently, exceeding my expectations in terms of acceleration and speed. And the gas mileage I got on the way there blew me away. I will refuel on Tuesday and post my results to this thread.

I wouldn't call it a "drawback", it's an improvement either way, it's just a slightly better improvement with the underdrive than with the "lite", if my understanding is correct.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #484
AznGouki
Metsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
The NST Underdrive Crank Pulley is intended for n/a or turbo applications. This pulley should not be used with a supercharger because it would lower PSI on such an application.

You can use the NST CR-Lite on n/a, turbo, or SC applications.

You can use the CR-Lite now and keep it installed once you install your supercharger.

Perfect. Just the answer I was looking for. Looking to purchase real soon.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #485
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Perfect. Just the answer I was looking for. Looking to purchase real soon.
We'll be here when you're ready

Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #486
NonStopTuning

Quote:

All I can say is WOW...NST CR Lite Pulley

So I incorrectly thought my car was quite quick with the mods that I had installed, but after taking it out today for the first time with the NST CR-Lite pulley, I have to say I was sorely mistaken...

Now it's FAST... (O.K. excluding Garm...)

The crank pulley absolutely has changed everything...

The feeling that revving up first gear is going to blow up my engine is gone...It revs up nicely, and allows more time to prepare for second gear, which I felt was a trouble spot off the line before the pulley install...

Above 4000 RPM up to redline is just so much stronger, and more importantly smooth and effortless...The car is just nuts (my face literally switches between this and this ) now at 5-6000 RPM...

I'm actually glad I did this after all of my other mods; I didn't think there would be as much noticeable difference as compared to the postive feedback given by relatively stock guys doing this swap...

Cheers
Originally posted by echo_hrs
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21851