Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Tint on windows ?

ok im gone tint my HB Yaris next week i want same dark all around ...what is good % and not to be pulled over and still be able to see at night...was thinking 20% but that maybe to dark ...pics would be cool too with % levels.
Also how does it go 20% up ?
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
you should check with your local laws as it differs from region to region.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
you should check with your local laws as it differs from region to region.
that is the problem ...its not specific at all up to the officer , like what crap of a law is that lol
Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
35% should be good. Also look into mirrored if ya like.
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 SE
my tint is 20% on driver and passenger windows, and from the back two windows to the rear trunk is 40%. california's law is 20% on the front two as i was told from my local tint shop... but correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
50% Front windows / 20% Rear Windows / 5% Hatch window.

I like this so it kinda fades to black from front to back. And allows enough visibility when looking at the rear windows e.g. backing up, parking, merging.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
many of the Midwest states are around 30%-35%.

ive always used 30%. it looks nice and uniform, it does its job, and isn't overly noticed by law enforcement. I personally think using varying degrees of tint looks awful and 20% on down looks too aftermarket.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
this is mine, 35% all around (including backglass, sorry no pic) but i wish i had done darker in the back glass thought..
front side windows are not legal at that tint here!

IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
that is the problem ...its not specific at all up to the officer , like what crap of a law is that lol
Its called "Probable Cause", if there is a law on the books about tinted windows. Its either city,county or state. Some may conflict with others. Example: my state allows 20% but in city limits here its 35% hence a police officer can stop. Just like having a tail light out, for a Defective Equipment law.

Under "Reasonable Suspicion" if your driving, say near a bad neighborhood. The police may stop you because they don't know your car. Because since they work the bad neighborhood they know the cars. But the stop has to be under probable cause.

Personally if you're not doing anything wrong get the 20% tint. But if you're a lead foot or your are "out of place" you might want to stick with 35%. I'm sure you can find out about local laws about tint online in your local government website.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeelo View Post
my tint is 20% on driver and passenger windows, and from the back two windows to the rear trunk is 40%. california's law is 20% on the front two as i was told from my local tint shop... but correct me if im wrong.
Your tint shop is wrong (or is just trying to sell you tint). In California you cannot have any permanent tint on the front driver and passenger windows.

You can have that static cling or other removable tint on the two windows (with, IIRC, a doctor's note) but it has to be removed after dark. And that might be a max darkness of 20%.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Exiwolfman

well im gone tint my car 20% rear and rear side windows front door windows 35% , main reason is one of the guys did 20% all around and i find its to dark for me to see out also u cant see anyone in car from 2 feet away.
Car is getting done Thursday next week after full detail, wax ,wash and shampoo :)will post pics when done :)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
roxy1

another reason I do not like 20% tint..its darker than I like for seeing out the back window.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
There are two different characteristics here, and people often confuse them: transmissivity (how much light goes through) and reflectivity (how much light bounces back). In MI, there's no restriction on transmissivity but a limit on reflectivity and placement.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...00.html#tinted
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I've had 5% on my rear glass (and back passenger) on my last 3 cars. You get used to it. Especially with all the 4X4s with HIDs in Missouri!
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Your tint shop is wrong (or is just trying to sell you tint). In California you cannot have any permanent tint on the front driver and passenger windows.
Yup, thats why I personally chose 50% as its dark enough to be tinted, but not dark enough to be noticeable. Helps that my car is a darker color, so the windows dont stand out if that makes sense.

Also i already find that even with 50%, in my neighborhood where it gets foggy, sometimes really dense fog, I roll down my driver window to make left turns. Also explains the varying tint from front to back.

**Signature picture, is both driver/passenger windows are down.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274

Last edited by ezhacker1; 05-02-2014 at 04:14 AM.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #16
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I'm only allowed 35% here.
This is broad daylight.
View from passenger side with driver side window rolled down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35percent.jpg (255.2 KB, 119 views)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
I'm only allowed 35% here.
This is broad daylight.
View from passenger side with driver side window rolled down.
that's what I am talking about. that looks really nice. it adds to the look of the car without looking aftermarket...like it belongs there.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #18
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
There are two different characteristics here, and people often confuse them: transmissivity (how much light goes through) and reflectivity (how much light bounces back). In MI, there's no restriction on transmissivity but a limit on reflectivity and placement.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...00.html#tinted
well, there is plenty of restriction in MI....like technically not allowing tinting of the front two side windows. they allow a 4" strip there, which nobody does because it looks ridiculous. in many parts of the state not named Detroit, cops wont look twice at front side windows that are 30-35% light transmission, which is why many here choose that. ive had most of my tint jobs done in the Kalamazoo area and always choose around 30% on all windows (except the windshield). in 30 yrs, ive yet to be pulled over. so, the amount of light allowed in does come into play because most folks want to tint their front side windows and not get hassled.

however, since everyone down here on the MI/IN border drives in IN more than MI it is smart to comply with IN tint restrictions (must allow more than 30% light in on all windows and only 4" strip on windshield)