Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Drives: 07 LB-Red-Manual-Power package
Exclamation Advice?! May Purchase a 2007 Liftback

Hello Everybody,

Please forgive me if I'm not in the appropriate forum. I am seeking advice and opinion regarding a potential purchase of a 2007 Liftback with the power package and a manual transmission. I currently drive and ancient Corolla and am in need of a new car. I looked at and test drove an '07 with 91,000 miles. I already know the price is mpre than reasonable at $7,000.00. There are a few items that flagged my attention upon viewing the car in person. 1) I asked the dealer if to his knowledge the car had ever been in an accident; he checked the carfax and informed me that indeed it had a collision in 2012 though, he said there was no indication on the report of any frame damage, airbag deployment or anything major. I inspected the crumple zones, underside and engine bay. Nothing caught my attention. 2) Upon starting the car, after all of the warning lights went away, the "main. req." light remained illuminated for the duration of the test drive. I know some cars will alert you if an oil change is neccesary. I dont know if this is the case for the yaris or if the "main. Req." light could also indicate faulty O2 sensors or other problems. 3) Fifth gear was particularly difficult to engage. I felt what seemed to be resistance, as if it was stuck in wet cement. I don't know the nature of the shift action in the Yaris and have no other experience to compare it to except my old Corollas which, is sloppy and loose by comparison. 4) The rear drums were a bit noisy, likely due to rust that has potentially built up in the hubs/drums...this would not be surprising due to upstate NY winters.

Other than all these trifling details, the car drove as what I would perceive as "very well". There was no suspension noise and all the power functions operated as one might expect. Please inform me if there are any areas that are deserving of closer inspection if you are so aware.

I know this is a lengthy request, but I very much appreciate the opinions of enthusiats with knowledge of this car and I hope to avoid a costly mistake. To clarify, the dealer was very respectful and courteous as I called attention to these concerns. The degree of their accomodation remains to be seen, as I have not actually purchased the car.

Thank you for your time.
kuessemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The maintenance required light is for the oil change.

Did the airbag light come on with the ignition and then go off after a couple of seconds? The reason I ask is that post collision people will sometimes internally tape over the light, rather than repairing and replacing all o the necessary SRS parts.

My three are all automatics, so I can't comment on the 5th gear issue.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Post LB Concerns

Hi CTScott, thanks for you quick reply :-)
Wow, I can't believe you have three!

Yikes! I always worry about things like that...ie, removing dash bulbs and taping over indicators and the like. Yes, the airbag light did illuminate when starting. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if it turned off after the engine started. I'll need to investigate.

Fifth gear did not seem normal. I don't think "quicksand-like gear shifting" would be a very sellable feature for a new car...though, I could be wrong since I've been out of the market for so long.

In youtube videos I always thought the Yaris motor sounded like a sewing machine; though, after driving one I can't say that's what I would liken it to. It didn't sound quite as refined as a Singer in person, quite a bit more raspy/warbly.

Anyway, thanks for your idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Did the airbag light come on with the ignition and then go off after a couple of seconds? The reason I ask is that post collision people will sometimes internally tape over the light, rather than repairing and replacing all o the necessary SRS parts.

My three are all automatics, so I can't comment on the 5th gear issue.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

All Done! Bought the car. Thanks for your thoughts :-)
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Then I say, congratulations and welcome aboard.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
Now, when do we get pics? Also, please share your observations and opinions after a few days of ownership. I, for one, am interested. Welcome!

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Welcome !
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
WELCOME!

With the 2014 models out soon, your 2007 has about 13,000 a year, that's not bad...ESPECIALLY with some of the ginormus mileage totals some of the people here have put on their YariSEZ

Read around here, you should probably change the gear oil in your manual transmission - folks here have said numerous times that it makes a BIG difference in the way the tranny operates !!!

Cheers to many years of trouble free operation!

Now, I've always wanted to use this smilie:

LOL - Here's mine in the garage 10 days ago, hee...hee...hee...
Attached Images

Last edited by yougojay; 07-31-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I spelled GINORMUS wrong - A combination of gigantic & enormous; shockingly big.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Thanks everyone!

I'm excited! I love it. After a 17 year old Corolla, the Yaris seems eerily quiet. I will start off with an observation of the Yaris I made shortly after it showed up in the showrooms and one that I maintain as true having now made the plunge....god the seat kills my back. To be fair I think I have a fabergé spine.

Here are my impressions now having lived with the car for a few days (these impressions are shaped through comparison to my previous Corolla and Jeep).
The storage compartments are tremendous and wonderful. I knew my initial temptatiom would be too fill them all up, but I've so far tamed the urge. The engine is so freaking quiet...I've been in cars that have cost two to three times as mich that weren't as quiet...and this is important to me because I slog down the expressway ( come fall) commuting to school. At the end of a long day with a migraine, the Corolla wasn't exactly relaxing. The stock shift action is smooth and drama free ( I dont have expreience with preformance shifters). The small things are highly pleasing too, ie the auxiliary audio input jack, electric windows/mirrors, overhead map lights, and very versatile rear seats.

I do have a few issues I'm in the process of resolving and the previous owner wasn't hygiene oriented, but I'll have it shaped up to my liking soon enough. I'll elaborate more and post some pics after I finish making dinner. Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchain View Post
Then I say, congratulations and welcome aboard.
Thank you Killchain
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Anyone know if my '08 canadian model have a maintenance required light?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Anyone know if my '08 canadian model have a maintenance required light?
No. For whatever reason only we down here get it.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

I'm in the process of making a spreadsheet of maintenance to do and maintenance that has been done. In addition a list of possible low cost improvements/refinements. I'll share it when I'm done.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
No. For whatever reason only we down here get it.
Wasn't it some kind of fuel economy related thing? Same with the TPMS?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Wasn't it some kind of fuel economy related thing? Same with the TPMS?
I believe that is correct.

Tags
advice, liftback, problems, purchase