Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
arcticvitz

Drives: Base 09 White Yaris 3DR 5MT
Send a message via AIM to arcticvitz
Angry Is Yaris hatred a result of ignorance?

I have received ample criticism and negative judgment from "friends" of mine for dismissing the notion of spending my parent's money and purchasing a Yaris. This is the first vehicle I've ever financed and it's been a liberating experience ever since I rolled off the lot. The first night I brought the car home I rolled into the driveway at a slant, engaged the emergency brake, hastily hopped out, and stared in awe as the engine purred timidly with only 50 miles on it. I've never been happier.
I like to think that people only hate what they don't understand
arcticvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
It's different, that's it. At least you don't have to deal with the ignorant and uneducated fools here in Detroit as I do. Somehow they think the "American" car they are driving is somehow made 100% in the U.S. with U.S. parts only, no outside or foreign parts in the vehicle. And they think some how my Yaris killed the economy and auto sales...
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticvitz View Post
I have received ample criticism and negative judgment from "friends" of mine for dismissing the notion of spending my parent's money and purchasing a Yaris. This is the first vehicle I've ever financed and it's been a liberating experience ever since I rolled off the lot. The first night I brought the car home I rolled into the driveway at a slant, engaged the emergency brake, hastily hopped out, and stared in awe as the engine purred timidly with only 50 miles on it. I've never been happier.
I like to think that people only hate what they don't understand
This all you need to know
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
arcticvitz

Drives: Base 09 White Yaris 3DR 5MT
Send a message via AIM to arcticvitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
It's different, that's it. At least you don't have to deal with the ignorant and uneducated fools here in Detroit as I do. Somehow they think the "American" car they are driving is somehow made 100% in the U.S. with U.S. parts only, no outside or foreign parts in the vehicle. And they think some how my Yaris killed the economy and auto sales...
True I don't get that living here in L.A.
arcticvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
I bet no one on this forum hates their yaris... thats like what... more than a thousand ppl??

I rest my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
There just jealous
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
I have received ample criticism and negative judgment from "friends" of mine for dismissing the notion of spending my parent's money and purchasing a Yaris.
Maybe you need new "friends" !

You've made a decision, you got yourself a car, it's your life, not theirs.

Enjoy your cute car and don't pay attention to the criticism.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I had a Corvette Z06 park next to my Yaris at Costco on Sunday. We spent the next 5 minutes with him and his wife talking about what they liked about my car.

There's lots to like about our cars. Ask yourself, is it important whether your friends like your car? Some of mine don't and it's more of their problem than it is mine.

BTW, when are we going to see your car? There's got to be at least 6 SFV Yarii here on YW. We should set up mini-meets in-between the bigger meets.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
babie y
www.teamvitz.com

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Who cares what people think!!! As long as you are satisfied of what you got. There are lots of ignorant people in the world. I seriously think it's jealousy. Life is too short. Live life to its fullest. Enjoy it...
babie y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Yeah, just enjoy the car.

I take crap even from local Fit tuners, who make fun of me for modifying a "cheap economy car", I haven't successfully pointed out the irony to them yet.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
My friends and family love my yaris and all i ever get is good comments. I live mostly around people who only like american cars and lifted pickup trucks, yet they always comment on how nice my car is. The only bad comments I get are from the 'oh snapz v-tec kicked in' kids. Deyz gotta stop hatinz and start appreciatin, ya herd mi?

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
I just mention my current tank MPG and ask them how ready they are for $4.00 or $5.00 a gallon gas. Most PU truck/SUV drivers will quote the EPA highway MPG for their vehicles. I ask them when the last time they actually verified that is and they never have. They accept the EPA highway numbers as gospel no matter how they drive.

If they press further ask them what their vehicle payments are and then ask insurance premiums. There are a lot of other places I need to spend money besides a bigger vehicle than I need and high insurance payments.

Safety always comes up, ‘that’s too small you’ll be squashed by a big vehicle like mine!’ Not if morons like you learned to pay attention to your driving instead of texting or talking on the phone.

Mine has been a great little car so far and I have little to complain about and a lot to compliment. For me this decision was about finances and saving money.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
True I don't get that living here in L.A.
Nor in OC. Cept all the girlys call my car.. cute..
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I take crap even from local Fit tuners, who make fun of me for modifying a "cheap economy car",
pot calling kettle black???
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I live in cleveland, and so far I had my yaris for 5 months, and I had more than 100 people come up to me and ask me what kind of car that was, cuz the previous owner took off the Yaris emblem, and i think that's funny. Their second question always is "how many mpg do you get?" , and i got "...prob more than you.."
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Cars are a status item. People equate social status with the status of the car. Mercedes E series being upper class and refined. BMW 5 series being upwardly mobile. You get the idea. So, people with no social status buy cars to give the impression of what they want others to think. The disdain that people show about your car is an act of trying to elevate their own social status. You bought the Yaris for you and not for others, so enjoy your Yaris with pride.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
^... yes, let them have their pride, you can laugh all the way to the bank. There are many other areas to fight a good fight, cars isn't exactly one of the better fights.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
The only bad comments I get are from the 'oh snapz v-tec kicked in' kids. Deyz gotta stop hatinz and start appreciatin, ya herd mi?
Since I fit the profile as an asian, underaged boy behind the wheel of a riced out Yaris, I get this comment a lot. Whether it be online or in person lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Cars are a status item. People equate social status with the status of the car. Mercedes E series being upper class and refined. BMW 5 series being upwardly mobile. You get the idea. So, people with no social status buy cars to give the impression of what they want others to think. The disdain that people show about your car is an act of trying to elevate their own social status. You bought the Yaris for you and not for others, so enjoy your Yaris with pride.
What ever happened to the simple car that can take you from point A to point B? It's sad how nowadays the car is looked at and paired with it's driver as a ranking system. It's sad that it's mostly true.

But like you said, who cares what others think. You love the Yaris, and we all do. That's why we're all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
^... yes, let them have their pride, you can laugh all the way to the bank. There are many other areas to fight a good fight, cars isn't exactly one of the better fights.
We can laugh all the way to the gas station as well.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote