Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
FU: Looking to make +/- 150HP 5-7 lbs

ECO: Under $3000

RUS: Log style, What I/C do you want to use & where do you want to place it?
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #20
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Byebye warranty, hello keeping up with traffic! Who is tuning it?

And Chris, don't lecture me on that damn law... they'd blame everything short of a seat stain on that turbo!

the pee stain after you 1st floor it and can now *pass* most minivans is 100% turbo related.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
hope you are changing your internals too
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #22
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post

the pee stain after you 1st floor it and can now *pass* most minivans is 100% turbo related.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #23
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
After spending the day very carefullly perusing some "What kind of turbo should I get?" sites (Garrett *great site* & MazdaSpeed), I built this big Excel spreadsheet so I can see how the different values for airflow, manifold pressure, pressure ratio, target horsepower, etc. interact. Then I studied a whole bunch of compression maps, and I figured that if aiming to produce less than 180HP, then a GT22 or even a GT20 would suffice.

I mean, assuming Air/Fuel = 12, and BSFC (fuel consumption) = 0.55, then for 180HP, you'd need 19.8 lb/min of (actual) airflow. So, assuming a decent intercooler and intake/exhaust plumbing, the pressure ratio @ 6,500 RPM should be somewhere around 2.2-2.3. These numbers are smack dab in the middle of the efficiency islands for the GT2252, but even still on the maps for a couple GT20's. It seems that a lot of those bigger 'chargers are for when you have much more airflow.

But seriously, I'm a noob at this. I only know what I've taught myself. But wouldn't you want to pick the smallest turbo possible that still has all your target numbers inside its compression map, to the left of the choke line?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or corrections on this!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #24
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
DNGZ: Why do I need to change the internals now with a low boost kit? You can run a Greddy S/C, Greddy tubocharger & Blitz S/C with stock internals.

I will go to JE pistons & Carrillo rods when I find the limits of the stock 1NZFE.

DOC: I have the GT15 in my garage. I ordered it with the intention of running the smallest turbo but when I received it I came across some unforseen problems.
1) Exhaust housing in tiny. I felt the exhaust could not breath properly through it
2) The whole turbo itself is to small, what I mean is phisically. I am planning on selling this kit & with the GT15 it made the kit unapealing. I will post a pic of it asap
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #25
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
DNGZ: Why do I need to change the internals now with a low boost kit? You can run a Greddy S/C, Greddy tubocharger & Blitz S/C with stock internals.

I will go to JE pistons & Carrillo rods when I find the limits of the stock 1NZFE.

DOC: I have the GT15 in my garage. I ordered it with the intention of running the smallest turbo but when I received it I came across some unforseen problems.
1) Exhaust housing in tiny. I felt the exhaust could not breath properly through it
2) The whole turbo itself is to small, what I mean is phisically. I am planning on selling this kit & with the GT15 it made the kit unapealing. I will post a pic of it asap
Im sure you'd have no problem selling as long as you can show proven results
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #26
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
Im sure you'd have no problem selling as long as you can show proven results
... And be able to keep the cost low!

After all this car is all for Efficiency... Why have Turbo you can't use?
4-6LBS of boost should be more then enough...

In most cases that equals out to about 150 - 160HP... In a car our size...

DAMN, That Bitch Will Be Quick!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #27
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Interesting... from what I've read, they tend to size the exhaust outlet on the small side to provide a higher exhaust velocity. But still, too small is too small!

Would be interested in seeing a pic, with something to reference scale. Must be a *tiny* turbo!

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason none of the forced-induction offerings available for the 1NZFE get above 150HP is because of the offset crank, and the stock internals just can't take anything above that. Any comments or thoughts on this?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 AM   #28
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
just want to keep your car as reliable as can be!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote