Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
jRoss

Drives: 2010 5spd sedan
Just bought a 2010 Yaris

I have been looking to buy a newer, more reliable car for awhile now. I was pouring money into my poor 93 S-10 left and right. So I went to a dealership and traded it in. I ended up with a 2010 yaris sedan, base model, 5 speed with 46xxx miles. I am only 22 years old with not-so-good credit and no co-signer so I was kinda forced to overpay, $12k. Did I get ripped? Either way, I ended up with an awesome little car, it is by far the nicest, newest car I've ever had. I love it already.

How long can I make this car last? Is there anything I should keep my eye on? I'm pretty good with working on my own car but I'm not too familiar with working on newer cars. I didn't know much about the Yaris before I bought mine and I was actually suprised to find it had an enthusiast forum.

I have a few plans for this car, I like to keep it simple and I can't afford anymore speeding tickets, so no performance mods. I want to get some subs in the trunk and some Rota Slipstreams(always wanted some and now I have the car for it)
jRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Gongrats on the purchase !...ehh maybe you paid a little more than "normal" but now the deal it's done,you own a great little car. You want to make it last ?...i'm talking engine,transmission ?...the advice i will give you may not be everyones opinion but if i were you i would drain the engine oil fill it with Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil, i will drain the tranny and fill that with the best oil you can afford (try find a synthetic oil),get the radiator drained and filled with new coolant and you are good to go.Keep records of what and when maintenance was done...you will have fun !
Dan
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
jRoss

I'm not sure how I feel about synthetic oil...
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
There's nothing wrong with synthetic oil. (I'm from Indy too!)
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
There's nothing wrong with synthetic oil. (I'm from Indy too!)

No, there isn't.

But that doesn't mean its called for or "better than" in every vehicle or situation.

Plenty of people have achieved fantastic shows of durability, using dino oil, the key is to adhere to a strict discipline of maintenance including oil changes regardless of the type of oil.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
jRoss

I think i'm going to stick to regular oil, loving the car, i drove to louisville and back for less than $25. In the market for some aftermarket wheels and i might lower her in time.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
jRoss

Good news! The dealership called me to come in and sign some papers, when i get there they tell me the first bank that agreed to finance me backed out so they found another bank but they had to lower the price of the car to $10,400. Lucky me! Now i didn't overpay quite as bad. No warranty now tho... we will see how that goes.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wow! Superbank to the rescue! Awesome!

Yeah dont waste your money on synthetic oil. Your car wont last any longer, it wont burn any less gas. Unless you have neurotic tendencies in which case GO FOR IT!

Open the hood and look at the right side of the engine. See the alternator belt? Now look at the bottom of the hood. See any pink streaks on the hood in line with the belts? No? Good! A very small percentage of these cars have leaking waterpumps (mine!) The teltale is coolant on the bottom of the hood.

When you change the oil look for the coolant. I think the wp is covered under warranty for five years or 60k miles?

Good luck you made a wise decision with the Yaris IMHO!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRoss View Post
Good news! The dealership called me to come in and sign some papers, when i get there they tell me the first bank that agreed to finance me backed out so they found another bank but they had to lower the price of the car to $10,400. Lucky me! Now i didn't overpay quite as bad. No warranty now tho... we will see how that goes.
I don't think you'll regret not having the warranty. If you ever need to troubleshoot, members (especially CTScott and a few others) will likely be able to help.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote