Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Carter05xb
Banned

Drives: 05xb
Dynapack = CRAP

Tests don’t lie:

Mustang dyno's require you to manually enter vehicle weight and environmental conditions. Therefore either inflating or deflating dyno numbers are possible. The real benefit to the Mustang type dynos are their ability to put a load on the car and as others have said, simulate real world driving conditions for tuning purposes.

Dynapacks are sort of the worst. But are extremely portable and assuming conditions don't change, should still provide you with accurate representations of power gains/losses. They require manual condition inputs, and cannot generate significant loads or simulate real driving conditions, so Dynapack and Mustang numbers often quite differ. Meaning Dynapack is unrealistic for real world numbers.

A Dynapack removes the tire issue by connecting directly to the hubs. This, again, is unrealistic because the tire acts as a moment arm, and going to a smaller tire will yield more torque at the ground. Since you test on a Dynapack with the wheels and tires are removed, you cannot measure the difference you get from one wheel/tire size to another. Also, you have eliminated rolling resistance from the equation.

A Mustang dyno seems to be the most technically accurate. It can apply a load to the rollers and simulate a real quarter mile run, or any other run you feel like programming into the thing. There is still the unrealistic contact patch issue, but it is my understanding that no other issues exist.

I also know that Mustang dynos yield the lowest numbers of the group, which doesn't do any good in terms of bragging rights, which is what we're all here for anyway, right?

Seems to me that if real world performance is your primary concern, you should get your horsepower tested on a Mustang dyno. If getting the highest numbers is your primary concern, you should get your horsepower tested on a Dynojet.

Dynapack's marketing focuses mostly on explaining how it's better than Dynojet, but they have very little to say about the Mustang dyno, which tells me that even Dynapack knows they have nothing on the Mustang system.

Look below at the two dynos produced by the same car. I look like hot shit from the dynapack but look like a chump on the MD500.

So for those of you using a Dynapack thinking your king. Think again. Anyone using a MD500 or 600 that puts down the same as you or close to you will destroy you on the street.

Numbers don’t lie.

304.9 Dynapack
266.00 MD500

Conditions for both pulls were as follows. 86 deg. And 2500 ft. above sea level.

Don’t want to hear someone wine about conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynapack1.jpg (60.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg md600.jpg (78.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 26085774020_medium.jpg (48.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 26085774009_medium.jpg (51.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 26085774005_medium.jpg (40.0 KB, 187 views)
Carter05xb is offline   Reply With Quote