Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
SDsurfrider

Drives: 07 Sedan S
extended warranty programs

I was wondering if anyone signed up for one of these?
SDsurfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
I got one up to 100k bumper to bumper with 0 deductable.
I did not pay the asking price it was about 1300
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I almost bought the 7-year extended warranty offered by Toyota at the time I took delivery, but then somebody mentioned Toyota's legendary reliability to me. Then I thought, if my car was so reliable, may be I should spend the mony somewhere else first and decide if I really needed the extended warranty at all later. Given that the car is so reliable, I hope Toyota can reduce the price for the policy a bit because I really hope to buy the policy before my normal warranty period expires. I always like to have the peace of mind that comes with the buying of the policy. I especially like the 24 hr road side assistance packaged therein because many a time my wife drives that car, on highway.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
SDsurfrider

Drives: 07 Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
I almost bought the 7-year extended warranty offered by Toyota at the time I took delivery, but then somebody mentioned Toyota's legendary reliability to me. Then I thought, if my car was so reliable, may be I should spend the mony somewhere else first and decide if I really needed the extended warranty at all later. Given that the car is so reliable, I hope Toyota can reduce the price for the policy a bit because I really hope to buy the policy before my normal warranty period expires. I always like to have the peace of mind that comes with the buying of the policy. I especially like the 24 hr road side assistance packaged therein because many a time my wife drives that car, on highway.

These are the same feelings I had.
SDsurfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I got the extended warranty on my car when it was new, it was/is my first brand new car so I'm a newbie! I guess generally Toyota's you probably don't need an extended warranty but their not invincible, some people say you should get them some say its just a waste of money. I guess it depends on what situation you're in...for me I was in a financial bind so if something did go wrong (defective) wouldn't have to pay for it granted it was under warranty. I got the top of the line one, so mine is 6 years total-so 3 years more than the normal warranty. Obviously dealers or sales people will make you feel guilty about it and that you have to get it, cause their sales people! That may help or not but wish you luck!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
theladybug

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch 5-Dr LE B Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Hey swng, I see you're in BC -- unfortunately, you can only buy ECP (Extra Care Protection -- the extended warranty) within 30 days of vehicle registration. Not sure if that's different in the US.

I bought 5 years / 160,000 km. My rationale was all about budget -- I liked knowing that for the next 5 years, my payment per month would likely not change, regardless of repairs. [Not accounting for regular maintenance, of course.]
theladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsurfrider
these warranty programs are great for vehicles with tons of technological gizmos and power accessories. we have one for our sienna, which has power sliding doors, power liftgate, moonroof, pretty much power everything. we did some research and the cost to replace the motor for one of the sliding doors would pretty much recoup the cost of the extended warranty. plus, in comparison to the vehicle price, the extended warranty was a small fraction of the overall cost. however, there's not much to break down on the yaris, aside from maybe the power window mechanisms. and the cost of the extended warranty is actually a high fraction of the vehicle cost for the yaris, since the yaris is soooo inexpensive. with my wife's yaris, we've definitely decided NOT to get any extended warranty. if you do some research and find out that a certain repair will pretty much cover the cost of the warranty, then by all means get it. peace of mind is priceless. if you need a hookup to get the warranty at cost, do a search for "scott moss" at siennaclub.org. he gets sienna warranties (7years/100K miles/0 deductible) for 850 out the door. thats at least 500 cheaper than any dealer out there. good luck!

--B

ps: remember, toyota offers these extended warranties because they profit from it. they play the percentages that your cars WON'T break down. we're playing the percentages with our yaris...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
entreri_21

Drives: '07 Silver Yaris Sedan
My previous car (a Nissan Sentra SE-R) taught me to always buy the extended warranty. Its basically for peace-of-mind more than anything, especially with a reliable Toyota. I doubt that I will ever need to use my Yaris' 100k/6 year B2B Warranty, but if I need it, its there. I was able to talk the dealer down quite a bit. Not sure what I ended up paying for the warranty, but I got them down from $65 a month for warranty and GAP insurance to $25 a month for both (6 year loan).
entreri_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
when i was paying for my yaris shortly before i got to drive it off the lot, i went thru the most highest pressure sales pitch i have ever experienced. this finance guy would not get off my balls with regards to selling me the extended warranty. first he started at $1295 and said that was half off the retail price. i said NO. then he dropped it to $900 and says that is his cost. i said NO. then he dropped it to $625 and said, "ok man you win. this is as low as i can go." i said NO. then i had to listen to him talk for 15 minutes about how i should buy the warranty and how i am going to regret it and blah blah blah. i said something about how i will not drive it much since i own a motorcycle and then he starts pressuring me into doing a lease instead. i did not want to get ugly but i ended up having to tell him, "look guy, i want to pay for my car and leave. i've been here for over and hour. i don't want the warranty, i don't want to lease, i just want to pay for the car and leave. OK??????" he finally got the point, did the deal, and i was a happy camper.

toyota of plano sales ppl are cool. toyota of plano finance ppl SUCK!
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theladybug
Hey swng, I see you're in BC -- unfortunately, you can only buy ECP (Extra Care Protection -- the extended warranty) within 30 days of vehicle registration. Not sure if that's different in the US.

I bought 5 years / 160,000 km. My rationale was all about budget -- I liked knowing that for the next 5 years, my payment per month would likely not change, regardless of repairs. [Not accounting for regular maintenance, of course.]
I am in BC. My understanding is that I can buy the extended warranty from Toyota (through the dealership from which I bought my Yaris) any day before the expiry of the normal three year warranty. Buying it early enough, say within 30 days of the purchase of the car, may afford me a discount, or something like that.
If I am not correct, I would have already lost the chance of buying the extended warranty.
I will check it out with the dealership people the next month when I take my car to them for service. Please wish me good luck.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsurfrider
For what it is worth, Consumers Reports say these are not a good investment, especially for cars like Toyotas.
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #12
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe
when i was paying for my yaris shortly before i got to drive it off the lot, i went thru the most highest pressure sales pitch i have ever experienced. this finance guy would not get off my balls with regards to selling me the extended warranty. first he started at $1295 and said that was half off the retail price. i said NO. then he dropped it to $900 and says that is his cost. i said NO. then he dropped it to $625 and said, "ok man you win. this is as low as i can go." i said NO. then i had to listen to him talk for 15 minutes about how i should buy the warranty and how i am going to regret it and blah blah blah. i said something about how i will not drive it much since i own a motorcycle and then he starts pressuring me into doing a lease instead. i did not want to get ugly but i ended up having to tell him, "look guy, i want to pay for my car and leave. i've been here for over and hour. i don't want the warranty, i don't want to lease, i just want to pay for the car and leave. OK??????" he finally got the point, did the deal, and i was a happy camper.
I had to take on the Financing Manger, Sales manager and sales-guy that were gunning for me, before I could escape from the extended warranty. Luckily, I didn't have to take them all on at the same time. My excuse, which was the truth, is that I would have blown through the extended warranty in 15 month, so they didn't have a warranty package that suited me. Truth be told, If I didn't have an excuse, I'd probably would have dropped at least $600 for the extended warranty, not because I felt that I needed it, but just to get them off my back. These guys are tenacious and I'm big push over.

From experience, I've personally had 3 new cars (Nova, Corsica and Civic) and put about 300,000km on each of them before retiring them and never needed to use the extended warranty. Also, I suspect, if you're a push over (like me), you'll probably end up losing out on any warranty work, unless you're willing to fight for it, when the time comes.

Last edited by Pars; 11-03-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote