Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
leoandmia

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Exclamation HELP! Possible engine issues? Car is jerking while in idle

About 7 minutes into driving, I was stopped in drive at a red light with the air conditioner on, when my 2007 Yaris Sedan starting jerking really bad and the check engine light came on! My car wouldn't go forward so I put the car in park, turned it off and cranked it back up. The light was off & my car ran fine. Took it to get a diagnostic test but no codes were found. My car has a rough idle when my ac is on but its never jerked this bad before. Has anyone had this happen before?

Last edited by leoandmia; 04-22-2016 at 11:44 PM.
leoandmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
clean throttle valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoandmia View Post
About 7 minutes into driving, I was stopped in Drive at a red light with the aor conditioner on when my 2007 Yaris Sedan starting jerking really bad and the check engine light came on! My car wouldn't go forward so I put the car in park, turned it off and cranked it back up. The light was off. Took it to get a diagnostic test but no codes were found. My car has a rough idle when my ac is on but its never jerked this bad before. Had anyone had this happen before?
This may not be it but it is worth a look. Crud builds up in the throttle body near the butterfly valve which can choke the idle some. It is cheap and easy to fix. Buy some throttle body spray cleaner and try it out. Don't do this withe engine running (fire hazard)! There are some youtube videos that may help.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
leoandmia

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Thanks! I will try this.
leoandmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoandmia View Post
Thanks! I will try this.

if you gone clean the throttle body ...make sure u have someone to help or a way to prop the gas pedal on full with key forward ( car off! ) since its bi-wire setup..do not force open with hand cos you will get engine code etc.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
if you gone clean the throttle body ...make sure u have someone to help or a way to prop the gas pedal on full with key forward ( car off! ) since its bi-wire setup..do not force open with hand cos you will get engine code etc.
Yes, to clarify, turn key to 'ON' position (engine not running) and put a brick on the gas pedal, then take a toothbrush or something similar and spray and scrub the crap outta the inside of the throttle body, let the spray evaporate before you start the car back up and all the crud you loosened up will get burnt up and your idle should be fixed. had to do this last week on my car
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, engine, jerking, misfire, rough idle