Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Exclamation Yaris Sedan 2008 Engine vibration

Hello Everyone,

I've been dealing with this problem for over 30kmiles. When it first started it would only happen while the car was stopped on an incline/slope. Now it does it even when the car is on flat road.

I've replaced battery, spark plugs, cleaned throttle body and MAF with corresponding cleaners, cleaned engine filter, ran injector cleaner through fuel tank twice (BG 44k), and replaced 2 motor mounts. Yet it seems to be getting worse. I have 192kmiles now, and I first began to notice the problem around 30kmiles ago.

I've even tried a different MAF and nothing. I'm currently considering the possibility of a bad timing chain tensioner. I used a timing light on the crank shaft bolt and can see the bolt "shift" position as the car is revved. Is this normal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Are you pressing hard on the brake? I notice my engine will shake if I'm only applying enough pressure on the brake to hold position. Press down a little harder and the shake stops.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
seatech30

Hi WeeYari,

Thanks for the reply. Actually the vibration can be felt more the harder I press the break. When I let go of the break, I don't feel it as much, but I can hear the car almost rattling. When idling, you can observe the engine moving back and forth quite a bit.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I think we need more information to better help you.
Is your car a manual or automatic?
Can you tell us more about this crank bolt "shifting"?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Did all the replaced plugs read the same? The new ones?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
seatech30

Ah yes, it's automatic 1.5L I think.

The crankshaft pulley bolt seems to be steady while idling. Meaning it doesn't look like it is varying position in sync with the light timing gun. However when I rev up the engine, the bolt position seems to change ("shift" degrees) I can take a video of this tomorrow if I get a chance. However, I'll be out on vacation for two weeks tomorrow noon.

As I'm sitting here in the drive thru my car feels like it's gonna rattle itself apart.

Yes, all the plugs were checked by myself with a wheel and were pretty much the same. The vibration was still in place prior to this though.

The vibration seems to cease a bit when I take off from idle, but now I can feel the vibration as I'm entering the freeway.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
This is all a little too vague for any meaningful help to be provided. At this point all people can do is to point you in many different directions. If this thing is truly getting worse, probably should just suck it up and see an mechanic. You've already thrown significant money at random stuff with no resolution. Stop the madness as Kevin O'Leary is fond of saying.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
seatech30

The motor mounts were replaced by a mechanic who said it would solve the problem. But it actually made it worse because the engine now has a better hold on the car and the vibration transfers even more.

I've spent more money listening to mechanics so far than I have trying out my own thing.

I don't understand how this is vague. There is vibration coming from the engine, that is audibly and visually noticeable. It is more pronounced when the car is stopped at idle. When the engine is rev'd up, the vibration ceases a bit. At freeway speeds it becomes noticeable again like a hum almost.

I understand if you're not familiar with this issue and I appreciate the feedback. I'd like to hear from anyone on here who has used a timing light on their crankshaft to see if they see the same thing I see.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
The timing will change depending on engine speed and load.
As the engine spped increases you should see the riming advance, so the crnk pulley/bolt will appear to move "backward" compared to the directiom of rotation.

If you blip the throttle, you wil mpossibly also see the timng momentarily retard as the engine picks up revs.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
dogsridewith

reading plugs checking gap spark miss engine vibration

By "reading plugs," to give some indication of the degree that 4 cylinders are working the same, I mean color, oiliness, crust, dust etc. various places on the plugs exposed to combustion products.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Based on your original post and what you've done so far I am pretty confident that it is a vacuum leak somewhere.

It gets worse when you depress the brake which likely has to do with the brake booster being connected to vacuum.

Easiest way to figure this out is buy a OBD reader that will show fuel trims or go to a mechanic who has one. If at idle your long term fuel trim is reading a high positive percentage (>5%) then you likely have a leak. If you then rev the engine to 3k rpm and hold it there the numbers should then go closer together (closer to zero).

I'm blown away no mechanic looked at this yet considering how much money you've already thrown at the car with no proper diagnosis.

The CEL will only go on if the fuel trim goes about 20% for a short period of time. However for the Yaris to idle rough it doesn't need to trigger a CEL.

EDIT* Just noticed your car does this while driving as well? Likely not vacuum leak then, but I'd still look into it to rule it out. FWIW the timing will shift when the engine is revved that is normal

Other way to check for a vacuum leak is to light a stick of incense and park your car in a non windy area like a garage. Run the car and hold the stick over and around the intake area. Watch and see if the smoke starts to get pulled or influenced in any area.

I had the same issue as you when I installed my oil catch can as it had an open valve on the bottom I didn't know about. The CEL would only go on when idling for more than 30 mins like when I'd go across the border and sit in traffic.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm guessing low compression on one or more cylinders. My old engine ran fine, got decent mileage but idled rough. Cylinders 2 and 3 had lower compression than 1 and 4.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 AM   #13
seatech30

Dogsridewith, all plugs looked the same. A bit of carbon, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'll pull out the new ones and check them when I return.

Kevinj93,tmontague,Bluevitz-rs, thanks for the great info and suggestions. I'll see what I can do about checking vacuum.

It's hard to find a good mechanic. I've recently moved too, so hard to choose a new one. But I'll definitely use this new information as a guide.

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #14
dogsridewith

Friend has a same-era Corolla, dealer serviced and clean w/ +100k miles. Running problem(s) traced to bad gasket between head and plastic intake manifold.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
seatech30

Finally got around to replacing the final mount (transmission) and the vibration got worse. Now (using a sprectrum accelerometer app) I can see that the frequency of the vibration increases with RPM (even while in park.) If the RPMs get anywhere near 4k I can hear what sounds like booming. When I'm at highway speeds I can hear this booming sound if i'm going fast enough as well, quite annoying.

tmontague, I tried logging my trims. The long term starts at -7% and as I go up slowly to 3k rpm it goes to -1.56% then -2.35% and as I slowly rev down it dips to -0.78% but bounces back to -7 around 1krpm. I did this twice while dark outside after I got home from work and I swear my headlights and dash lights blinked off for a split second each time when revving down at around 2krpm. Kind of weird.

Is it safe to say since the vibration frequency is tied to the rpms that this is an engine issue? I really am suspecting something is wrong with the injectors even though I did a listening test and they all seemed to be ticking about the same.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Alternator 1 point to try !
Take belt away and fire up ...
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 AM   #17
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Hmm a -7% trim could easily be a small exhast leak. That said it shouldn't and likely would not cause your issue.

Not really sure at this point tbh
Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Imho vibration without dipping idle would be due to bad engine support/s. More likely just 1 of them is bad. If it were an old civic id say the center one near the firewall, if that makes sense

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, vibration