Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Willing to Buy by private party
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
WTB: PTC Heater (Hatchback XP9)

Hi there,
does someone have a PTC heater to sell?
I'm having a hard time getting one at ebay.
The heater which fits into the box would be enough (it's no big problem for me to build a controller), but the more of the surrounding electronics you can send me, the better.
My windscreen kept freezing this morning, and I don't want to scratch ice every morning nor do I want to let the engine run until it's warm (forbidden (but not nobody will care about this) and ruining my fuel efficiency (this IS critical)).
I have used wiper fluid with anti-freezing-agent, however this does not work inside my car
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Toyota does not list a part number for it in the parts catalog, so from Toyota you can only get it with the entire airbox assembly. I have two extra airboxes on hand, but unfortunately both are the non-PTC heater type.

I had a PTC heater one disassembled this weekend for cleaning and the heater is a Denso 013410-0292. Ironically, it is made in Germany.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
dj92
Embracing Curves

I've found one in Sweden:
http://en.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=22266197
However, 90€ are way too much to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Ironically, it is made in Germany.
Interesting, might be that there are some nifty secrets about manufacturing these heaters, producing in Germany is rather expensive, during holidays, I get about 10,8$ per hour for an industrial job I did not learn (well, I have to admit it does not take much knowledge to work in the stock ).
Most Industries that did not really need the "german quality" (which the Japanese e.g. have almost exceeded by now, my yaris is in a better condition than our a-class with the same age) went away, sometimes due to a missing willingness of innovation (Siemens Mobile: made some of the first, but later on rather old fashioned phones, later on acquired by BenQ and, being unsuccessful, shut down some years ago - I don't really miss them, their phones were almost feature free).
I hope it won't be as bad as e.g. in Detroit ;)
Mechanical engineering Industries have a rather good situation here, although they don't build something special but big (some dozen tons of steel plus a bit of electronics), their things are bought all over the world :D
~

Well, now I have a picture and can have a look at ebay for other manufacturer's heaters, maybe one of them fits.
If that does not work out, I'll take a water heater from BMW that seems rather easy to control, building a controller won't be such a big thing because I already have a controller eavesdropping on the CAN

EDIT:
Yup, they look quite similar:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Peugeot-307-3...item2a27a8aa27
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Renault-Megan...item20c9e19f5a
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kia-Carens-II...item2a33a39fdd
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mazda-2-DY-Zu...item27ca756e68
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
I've found one in Sweden:
http://en.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=22266197
However, 90€ are way too much to me.

Interesting, might be that there are some nifty secrets about manufacturing these heaters, producing in Germany is rather expensive, during holidays, I get about 10,8$ per hour for an industrial job I did not learn (well, I have to admit it does not take much knowledge to work in the stock ).
Most Industries that did not really need the "german quality" (which the Japanese e.g. have almost exceeded by now, my yaris is in a better condition than our a-class with the same age) went away, sometimes due to a missing willingness of innovation (Siemens Mobile: made some of the first, but later on rather old fashioned phones, later on acquired by BenQ and, being unsuccessful, shut down some years ago - I don't really miss them, their phones were almost feature free).
I hope it won't be as bad as e.g. in Detroit ;)
Mechanical engineering Industries have a rather good situation here, although they don't build something special but big (some dozen tons of steel plus a bit of electronics), their things are bought all over the world :D
~

Well, now I have a picture and can have a look at ebay for other manufacturer's heaters, maybe one of them fits.
If that does not work out, I'll take a water heater from BMW that seems rather easy to control, building a controller won't be such a big thing because I already have a controller eavesdropping on the CAN
I can try to track one down at a junkyard over here for you.

You will need one heck of a bridge, FET, etc. to drive it, as the PTC heater draws 40A.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
dj92
Embracing Curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I can try to track one down at a junkyard over here for you.
That'd be great, TIA!