View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Cruise control vs MPG

I got about a gazillion hits on "cruise control" when I did a search to see if this subject has been covered in here. If it has, then it won't hurt my feelings if one of the mods wants to delete this thread.

What I would like to know is how much using cruise control costs in terms of gas mileage. I know that a lot would depend on the terrain, since cruise control would attempt to keep the set speed as you go up steep grades, whereas you might allow the car to slow a little if you were using the accelerator pedal.

Does the use of cruise control completely eliminate the use of DFCO, or will the car go into the DFCO mode automatically on downhill grades, even when cruise control is on?

If a guy got let's say 45 MPG on a long trip on fairly level ground while using cruise control, what would you expect that his mileage would have been if he had traveled the same route at the same average speed without the cruise control and without "hyper-mileing?" I guess what I am trying to ask is this: if a guy is not going to hyper-mile, is he just as well off to use cruise control as he would be to avoid cruise control?

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote