Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
shift extender dress up

I recently purchased the shift extender 3" from MicroImage. I have a stock shifter with a rubber boot and stock shift knob. it put the shifter almost exactly where I wanted it but it looked really rough. I know there are ways to make it look better that are a little on the expensive side. the problem is that my cash flow is going other places so I am really pacing myself with this car.

I decided to try to do something myself. before anyone says anything, it was cheap and isn't great but it does dress it up a little bit. the entire cost was somewhere around $8 and I still have quite a bit of material left over.

I don't have a picture of the bone stock shifter but here is the before and after with the extender.

Before

After

I used a piece of 3/4" CPVC. I was going to use PVC but it was too big a round to go into the shift knob. the CPVC must be a thinner wall so it actually seats into the shift knob and goes over the shifter and seats on the rubber boot. I used Krylon Fusion black (it is designed to paint plastic better).

the results aren't perfect but may keep me from buying another boot and shift knob for a while. now I can focus on an intake and other things. maybe a short shifter Kit.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
xixarchangelxix
The Unicorn

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5D HB
Looks good to me!
xixarchangelxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Looks good to me too!

Need pics closer up. I'll do the same thing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
BEEF

well, I can't take more pics as it is dark here and I will have the kid for the next few days. I hate to do this but I can post a larger pic of it. I use tinypic.com and you can chose which size to make it. I will admit that if I had more time or access to all my tools I could have done a better job. I recently moved so all my stuff is pretty much everywhere.

here is it up close (cropped)

here is the original pic but bigger

if it helps, I put the shifter on and measured the gap. I then took the shifter knob off and shoved the pipe into the shifter knob (it goes in about a half inch) I then measure down the distance of the original gap and make a mark. that is where I made my cut. that way it is actually inset into the shifter knob and doesn't spin freely or whatever. after it was cut and sanded (to take off the burrs) and test fit, I then painted it. I let it sit overnight to cure good and put it on the next day.

not sure how this will look using an aftermarket shift knob.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I use a Delrin knob, so I guess we'll see.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
Looks good. Much easier fix than the route I took.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Looks good. Much easier fix than the route I took.
I'm having a friend lathe me an aluminum spacer, I saw the wood one you made...it's pretty awesome.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
^^ yeah sailman the wood one is sweet time to clean that yacht up and get her out on the open seas
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Not sure I understand why you'd want the shift handle Longer??
Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
BEEF

I added an armrest and the height of the shifter was lower than I liked with the armrest where it is. this way my arm can rest on the armrest and be on the shifter comfortably. I will admit the throw is really REALLY long right now but a short shifter will fix that.

I also used to have a nice truck and it had a fairly high shifter in it so maybe it is just what I have been used to.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
^^ yeah sailman the wood one is sweet time to clean that yacht up and get her out on the open seas
Thanks, matthewai - summer wheels'n'tires are on, so that's as close as she'll get to "open water". I'll try to get a decent pic once pollen season is over. Park her near the ocean.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote