Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Turkey Thread and censorship

I just checked out the "Turkey Thread". Aside some use of profanity and a picture of a young woman that would pass the muster in any lingerie catalog that one gets in the mail I didn't see anything that could be classed as "offensive". Except for those of us with pronounced sensibilities about animal cruelty or vegetarian leanings.

I think that the idea of censorship needs some further discussion and elaboration. One cannot discuss some topics without the risk of offending some people. There are ideas which by implication will offend the comfortable assumptions and values of some. There are also ideas that trouble some folks because of their own prejudices and values.

In my opinion we need to demarcate what is and is not "indecent" and worthy of censorship. The moderators are busy and cannot respond to every complaint.

There is also the disturbing prospect of some abusing their "sensibilities" to stifle some posters or ideas from some posters. This is known as "censorship by proxy". Such posters will act as moderators and impose their own values upon others.

I think that most cultures are able to demarcate between "adult" and "juvenile" content. Children do not discuss some things because they lack the experience and maturity to comprehend them.

Would it be safe to assume that anyone who owns a Yaris is probably at least in their late adolescence, perhaps older?

Would it also be reasonable to assume that there is a way to reach consensus upon what is and is not "out of bounds"?

In this way we can self censor and spare the moderators the burden of policing us. We can also eliminate the grotesque prospect of some persons imposing their own values upon others in an underhanded way. I am not accusing anyone at this time of doing so, but I wish to prevent the possibility.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Actually the original poster asked me to close it, no censorship there...

But I know what you mean, there's always a very fine line.

As you said, and as I mentioned before, we can't look into every single thread 24/7, so if there's anything which you believe is not quite right, use the "report this post" button (the triangle one on the bottom next to the "user: online" graphic. Then we will look at the thread/post in question and determine if it is suitable or not.

I speak for the other moderators when I say we have no intention of upholding very strict censorship, this is not puritanismworld.com (and apologies to any puritans I may have insulted there), but it is primarily a car forum, and if you want to engage in no-holds-barred general mayhem, it's not quite the place for that. Respect and Tolerance, we just need more of those

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote