Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
genethekiller

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Yaris on the Autobahn? You betcha!

So, I registered not too long ago, but apparently my stuff expired since my move from NY to Germany. Anyway, for those of you that DON'T know, I'm in the Air Force and stationed in Germany.

I brought my US spec Yaris from the States and I'm FINALLY back on the road.

I just figured I'd give some info on what she can really do, because I've been hearing incessant whining on review sites about how the car "feels unsafe over 70 mph," or "the wind blows it around too much..."

I'm here to tell those critics, my fiance lives 5 hours away from me right now, and I come to visit her EVERY WEEKEND. That's 10 hours on the road both ways every week.

I was a little worried about how my little Yaris would compete on the Autobahn with the BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and Porches...

I thought I would be run over, but it handles like a dream. I routinely cruise for hours between 80 and 90 mph. I've even comfortably taken her over 100 mph passing slowpokes. So, I'm here to say to the critics, a guy who's driven his car in the snow piles of Syracuse, New York to the Autobahns in Germany. This car is IT. I can even get the awesome mileage going that fast. I have to fill up at the beginning and end of my weekly LITERALLY cross country trip from Landstuhl to Hannover.

Also, I know plenty of you who've suffered some poking fun at your Yaris'. I know I did before I left the states. But let me tell you, here in Europe, small is SMART. I can park this thing anywhere, and it is the most satisfying feeling in the world passing right by my friends at the gas station with their "Yank tanks" as they call them here, and passing them again when I'm zooming past them on the Autobahn!

I love this car, it takes me everywhere and never fails me. It's not even a year old yet and has 15,000 miles.

The Germans LOVE it too. I often got the question in the states, "where's the rat in the engine that runs it?" Here all I get is, "das ist ein schönes Auto!" Or, "that is a BEAUTIFUL car!"

YARIS FOREVER!
genethekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Holy crap, Landstuhl to Hannover every weekend? That's almost 500km each way! How many friggin' Esso gas coupons do you get?

I am not surprised that the Germans love the Yaris (I was born in Frankfurt, my mother is from Würzburg; and not only did I grow up in Germany as a kid, but I also did four years at Ramstein while in the USAF! I still get back once or twice a year thanks to my job, but usually to Stuttgart). Anyhow, the first thing I thought when I saw one is that it looked like an Opel! I had a VW Passat wagon for ten years before the Yaris, and loved it but it was showing its age. I have no problems driving my hatchback at 90 mph here in Texas, it handles great but you do have to remember it is a small wheelbased car!

When you get down to the Schwarzwald (Black Forest, it is only two hours south of you) take some pics. It is a beautiful area with some great roads. Heck, the entire country is full of beautiful areas with great roads, take lots of pics and post 'em up!

Tschüss! M-zwo
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
genethekiller

Well, they don't do coupons anymore, we get an Esso card, which you "charge" on base and can use them off base.

Tons of TDYs and other stuff keep me within my limits, but we're allotted 400 liters per month.

I've been all over Germany, I love the swartzwald too. Even before I was stationed here, my fiance and I lived in Belgium and spent a great deal of time visiting her family in Germany.

Anyway, the Yaris is awesome, before I came back I forgot how small the parking spaces were. Its always funny pulling up next to some jerk in an Expedition in one of those spaces barely big enough to fit the car.

Schönes Wochenende!

Last edited by genethekiller; 10-31-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
yes, yes, PICS!

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
MadMax

I did three years at SHAPE before moving back to Texas in 2005. Wasn't quite as nice as Germany (at least the area we lived in); but we still had a great time there! I did almost half of my USAF career in Europe (2 yrs in the UK, 3 in Belgium and 4 in Germany, plus almost a year combined in Slovakia and Bosnia). We had gas cards in Belgium (Fina) and I liked them a helluva lot better than the old Esso coupons!

I actually have a German 'D' oval on the back of my black Yaris, as well as an edelweiss sticker. I had thought about trying to get Opel badges just for shits and giggles; I saw a Mazda once with Mercedes badging on it and it looked pretty cool!

I actually may be heading to Panzer/Patch Barracks in Stuttgart for a few days next month. We just got the notification message, and I am trying to get approval and funding to go. There is another chance in December as well, again in Stuttgart, in case this one doesn't happen. I would love to go and get some shopping done at the Weihnachtsmarkts.

Ein schönes Wochenende auch!

Tschüss! M-zwo
Old 10-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
now time to bring it to Nurburgring!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Fantastic!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I would kill to drive the nurburgring!! I am so jealous!! I wish we had a US version of nurburg

B

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Callisto

Drives: '08 Hatch
Ausgeseichnet! Und ja, es ist das schoenste Auto der Welt! Kein Zweifel.
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I always suspected that my manual 07 Yaris was more tuned for equropean driving, but handicapped by the dinky tires. My suspicion is now confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genethekiller View Post
So, I registered not too long ago, but apparently my stuff expired since my move from NY to Germany. Anyway, for those of you that DON'T know, I'm in the Air Force and stationed in Germany.

I brought my US spec Yaris from the States and I'm FINALLY back on the road.

I just figured I'd give some info on what she can really do, because I've been hearing incessant whining on review sites about how the car "feels unsafe over 70 mph," or "the wind blows it around too much..."

I'm here to tell those critics, my fiance lives 5 hours away from me right now, and I come to visit her EVERY WEEKEND. That's 10 hours on the road both ways every week.

I was a little worried about how my little Yaris would compete on the Autobahn with the BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and Porches...

I thought I would be run over, but it handles like a dream. I routinely cruise for hours between 80 and 90 mph. I've even comfortably taken her over 100 mph passing slowpokes. So, I'm here to say to the critics, a guy who's driven his car in the snow piles of Syracuse, New York to the Autobahns in Germany. This car is IT. I can even get the awesome mileage going that fast. I have to fill up at the beginning and end of my weekly LITERALLY cross country trip from Landstuhl to Hannover.

Also, I know plenty of you who've suffered some poking fun at your Yaris'. I know I did before I left the states. But let me tell you, here in Europe, small is SMART. I can park this thing anywhere, and it is the most satisfying feeling in the world passing right by my friends at the gas station with their "Yank tanks" as they call them here, and passing them again when I'm zooming past them on the Autobahn!

I love this car, it takes me everywhere and never fails me. It's not even a year old yet and has 15,000 miles.

The Germans LOVE it too. I often got the question in the states, "where's the rat in the engine that runs it?" Here all I get is, "das ist ein schönes Auto!" Or, "that is a BEAUTIFUL car!"

YARIS FOREVER!
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Why compare a Yaris with bimmers and benses? Those cars don't go between 80 and 90, they go 120 and faster....

Don't fool yourself into thinking this car is anywhere near what is really occupying the left lane of the autobahn. Any econobox can drive between 80-90. Ive taken my old crappy 89 pontiac 6000 to 105 mph...
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate YARlantIS View Post
I would kill to drive the nurburgring!! I am so jealous!! I wish we had a US version of nurburg

B
There is a US version , its called "Tail of the Dragon " aka Deals Gap , aka " The Dragon " . Its on the NC/Tenn border . 318 turns in 11 miles , and its free

Check out some pics and vids

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10000
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
I got a good laugh out of the words, "Yank Tank" for the big gas hog vehicles. That's the first time I ever heard that and its funny !!!!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
There is a US version , its called "Tail of the Dragon " aka Deals Gap , aka " The Dragon " . Its on the NC/Tenn border . 318 turns in 11 miles , and its free
I've done both (on motorcycles) and they are not the same thing. The Nurburgring is a real track, Deal's Gap is a public road and you'll get everything from Miata groups to RVs, plus cops! In Germany, there is an endless number of roadst that are similiar to US 129. Go east on the A6 autobahn out of K-town, then take the exit for Enkenbach-Alsenborn and head south on the B48 to Hochspeyer. Go through that village until you see the B48 heading south again and stay on it towards Waldleiningen. There is a gasthaus down there that all the bikes stop at as all the roads out of there are great runs...actually, all of those roads south of the A6 in the Pfälzerwald are fun to run!

But there are tracks in the US that you can run on, albeit they won't come close to running the 'Ring. Many of the guys I ride with have dedicated track bikes, because riding all out on the street is a dangerous and stupid thing to do!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #15
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
I agree , riding all out on the street or track is a stupid and dangerous thing to do . But thats why we do it , for the danger factor . Because lets face it , if we wanted to be safe , we would stay home and watch it on television or youtube

The Ring has more "Prestige" and definately higher speeds , but the Dragon is far more technical .

Try the Dragon at night when there is virtually no traffic or cops . Now that is exciting , and yes dangerous . Ride the Dragon on Easter Sunday and you will have it almost all to yourself . That is my favorite day to go . If you go to the Dragon during the summer , you will certainly run into tons of bike and car clubs , until the darkness falls
Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
What kind of milage do you get running at a constant 90 mph?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #17
genethekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
Why compare a Yaris with bimmers and benses? Those cars don't go between 80 and 90, they go 120 and faster....

Don't fool yourself into thinking this car is anywhere near what is really occupying the left lane of the autobahn. Any econobox can drive between 80-90. Ive taken my old crappy 89 pontiac 6000 to 105 mph...
I'm not fooling myself into anything. I well aware that the luxury cars are much nicer, faster and all around better than my "econobox." I was merely addressing the critics that say the yaris is "unsafe" at speeds of 70 and above etc.

It's not often that people in the states get the chance to legally take their cars above 70 mph, unless their on a track. I just thought it might be of interest to SOME people, obviously not you, that the Yaris is more than capable of driving for several hours at higher speeds than most people in the states get to normally.

I've driven everything from Mercedes, to BMWs and Audis on the Autobahn at speeds up to 140 mph, and been very impressed. There's OBVIOUSLY no way a Yaris could do that. Not safely anyway. I've also been at the opposite end driving a 94 Renault Clio, which had trouble getting up to 120 kph.

I don't think anyone here bought the Yaris for screaming down the road at high speeds. So, I, as well as most of the other contributors here are aren't "fooling ourselves" into anything.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
genethekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
What kind of milage do you get running at a constant 90 mph?
I've never done any real calculations. All I know that I can do the trip from Landstuhl to Hannover on a single tank with some to spare. That's quite a trip, especially at those speeds. Either way I'm pleased with the mileage.

I'll do some calculations and get back to you on this.