Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
johnstevens

Drives: None
Test Drove a 2009 Today...

Overall I loved the car itself, much better than the Fit I drove a couple days before. The lease deal that Toyota is running right now is a huge plus for the car as well.

The one HUGE complaint is the funky placement of the speedometer, gauges, etc. in the middle of the dash.

How long did it take you guys to get over it? Are there any aftermarket solutions for the problem?
johnstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstevens View Post
The one HUGE complaint is the funky placement of the speedometer, gauges, etc. in the middle of the dash.

How long did it take you guys to get over it? Are there any aftermarket solutions for the problem?
Took a couple of days to fully adjust to central cluster. Now it feels completely natural to have them placed there.

Are there any solutions to what problem? Are you inferring the cluster location is a problem?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Took less than one day. No problem at all.

I liked mine so much, we bought a second one for my husband 4 months later.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I got used to the center cluster very quickly. It quite literally becomes second nature.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
You will get used to the center placement after only driving a couple of days. It takes 'no time' to get over it !
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
WeeYari

You'll also love the added glove box in front of the steering wheel. Passengers see me rest my morning Breakfast sandwich and hash brown in there, and are just amazed by some of the ingenious features of this car.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I drove a "normal" car today and forgot to look straight down.... I much prefer it in the middle.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
haha not only does it become second nature, it becomes preferable. Can't drive my BMW anymore, I keep looking to the middle.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
I go back and forth between the Yaris and my "normal" car without even thinking about it. The first few days there were a few moments of confusion when I'd look in the wrong place (on both cars as I started to adjust), especially at night when I'd look down to see darkness, but now I don't even think about it. I love the glovebox that is there instead, very handy!

I also testdrove the Fit (though less than an hour apart) and preferred the Yaris as well.

Edit: One drawback of the center speedometer. It's slightly angled toward the driver, but the passenger can see it just fine. Problem is, if you're a conservative driver and your passenger wants you to drive faster they're seeing it from an oblique perspective and think that you're going slower than you really are -- then again, this could work to your advantage as well. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
mid console is the greatest..once you get use to it .youll find that the standard dash will be awkward unless ur steering wheel is see thru or made of glass then it may be ok..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Edit: One drawback of the center speedometer. It's slightly angled toward the driver, but the passenger can see it just fine. Problem is, if you're a conservative driver and your passenger wants you to drive faster they're seeing it from an oblique perspective and think that you're going slower than you really are -- then again, this could work to your advantage as well. :-)
Are you sure it's angled? Something slightly different in the '09s? '06-'08 is dead flat. Prior years (Echo) had it turned toward the driver.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Yeah the center cluster is no problem. I don't remember it even being an effort...got used to it in minutes.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
haha who cares where it's really angled to :)

anyways.. it's not like the problem is because the cluster is in the middle. It is just better that you don't have to look down. Even the civic has started making the speedometer higher than usual.

I never had to get used to the new placement of the yaris' cluster. I don't look at where the cluster usually is, but i look for where the cluster is actually is. The cluster is always in the view. so you can't really miss it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I much prefer the traditional gauge layout but it doesn't really take long to get used to using the center mounted gauges.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
The only time the centre cluster got my attention was the first time I put on my left turn signal and saw a flash to my right (instead of left).
After no time I prefer the clean view straight ahead. I do wish the sedan had the left side dash storage of the LB.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
My wife likes it as a passenger. She doesn't have to rubber neck to see how fast I am going.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstevens View Post
Overall I loved the car itself, much better than the Fit I drove a couple days before. The lease deal that Toyota is running right now is a huge plus for the car as well.

Two minutes
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
All vehicles should be built this way.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote