Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
BassAssassin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5MT
Steel Wheel Center Caps

So, I recently painted my steelies silver and bought 4 black center caps just like the one in the picture below. Anyway, they seem kind of loose. I'm afraid to drive on the highway with them on. I know others on this forum have used these center caps. Does anyone know of a way to make them stay on without using some kind of permanent adhesive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centercap.jpg (20.0 KB, 375 views)
BassAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Silicon caulk will hold it on there and will be able to remove later
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Taris

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 Door HB
I just purchased a set of these (brand new) on ebay. I also wasn't satisfied with how loose they fit. To solve this issue I took a plastic wire tie (black of cource) and rapped it around the outside of the 4 clips and tighten it as tight as I could get it. They now snap on quite tight.
Taris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
use 3M tape wrapped around the inside, tap them on with a mallet and I guarantee they will stay but be able to come off when you need them to. I have my steel caps on my wheels held on with this method, they have NEVER come off after a year of being on there and being soaked in salt, rain, and snow AND 20K miles on the highway!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
use 3M tape wrapped around the inside, tap them on with a mallet and I guarantee they will stay but be able to come off when you need them to. I have my steel caps on my wheels held on with this method, they have NEVER come off after a year of being on there and being soaked in salt, rain, and snow AND 20K miles on the highway!
Where did you get your center caps and what make/model vehicle are they manufactured for?

I found some GM caps but they were too large to fit down in the hup and a little too small to run in the wheel. Looked like I could shim them and run them in the bit of the wheel that sticks out past the hub. Is that what you did?
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
YAR1S

I have steel center caps from a NAPA store.

Personally I added "dust caps" from NAPA to the centers to clean up the look especially since the axle on the front wheels are visable.
The dust or "center" cap is from Napa's Balkamp catalog # 730-2411
they are only a dollar or two per cap.

When you get the caps they will be a little bit too large and will fly off... so you will need some 3m double-sided tape (home depot/lowes), one or two layers will do it... dont be shy with the stuff.... apply the tape on the inside of the cap... before putting the cap on... this will make it easier. Once the tape is on... press onto wheel... use a rubber mallet to get it all the way on there... (btw these are removeable but should stay on till you need them off... no need to take them off to clean your wheels.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Sweetness!

Thanks YAR1S!
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
YAR1S

no problem ;)

Quote:
Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
SimTronik
Machinist

Drives: Yaris sedan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
Personally I added "dust caps" from NAPA to the centers to clean up the look especially since the axle on the front wheels are visable.
The dust or "center" cap is from Napa's Balkamp catalog # 730-2411
they are only a dollar or two per cap..
Guy from napa said he has no such thing :(
SimTronik is offline   Reply With Quote