Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
karl lee
MY baby VIOS

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Which tire configuration use more fuel?

Hi Bro,

I'm interested in knowing which tire configuration use more gas? Both are on 15 inch Wheels the only different is side wall.

1. 185/60R15
2. 185/55R15

Thanks.
karl lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Well, a smaller wheel and skinnier tire will give you better gas mileage. I had RS wheels on my car and sold them. They were 15" vs my 14" stock steelies. I weighed them and were 9 pounds EACH wheel heavier than the steelies.

HTH
Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
a tire closest to stock height will give you the most accurate mileage reading.

smaller tire will probably calculate to be 'better' mileage, but you're not going as far as your odometer says..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
In theory, the tire with the larger diameter should give slightly better gas mileage. But, as Tamago points out, you need to be sure to correct your MPG calculations because the change in tire diameter is going to make the odometer inaccurate.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
karl lee
MY baby VIOS

My question is only base on the height of tire sidewall. Let's assume the odometer meter is correct.

I heard somewhere that shorter sidewall(lower profile) will have a better rolling resistance compare to taller. And also tire is slightly lighter. Therefore, should be better mileage for shorter sidewall tire.

Please share your view.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
You can't maintain the accuracy of the odometer while changing the sidewall height unless you also change the wheel size, of course. But, making that assumption...

I'm not sure you'd get less rolling resistance with less sidewall necessarily. The factor there in either case is going to be how much the sidewall flexes, how round the tire stays. Radial tires are designed to flex a little bit, and it's that constant flexing and unflexing as the tire rotates that turns into heat and added rolling resistance. Stiffer sidewall (which can be acheived in ways other than just shortening the sidewall) flexes less, hence less rolling resistance.

A lower profile tire also isn't necessarily lighter than a taller profile tire. In fact, it's normally the opposite. A low profile tire requires a very stiff carcass, which requires more steel. Look up your favorite tire. Check different sizes of the same model of tire. The larger wheel/lower profile sizes are usually a pound or two heavier. Even if they were a pound or two lighter, it wouldn't be enough to make up for the weight increase of the larger diameter wheel.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Tamago

and as a rule, skinny tires = less rolling resistance. go buy tires for a prius lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I think that with most tire manufacturers finally actually listing tire weight, go check that out, it will make more of a difference then sidewall anyways.

Lighter is always better when it comes to gas mileage.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
In theory, the tire with the larger diameter should give slightly better gas mileage. But, as Tamago points out, you need to be sure to correct your MPG calculations because the change in tire diameter is going to make the odometer inaccurate.
if it's mostly in town driving, i'd think a larger diameter might make matters worse.

Last edited by scape; 01-17-2010 at 10:25 AM.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I think that with most tire manufacturers finally actually listing tire weight, go check that out, it will make more of a difference then sidewall anyways.

Lighter is always better when it comes to gas mileage.
so you think a lighter tire that's wider would save gas over a slightly heavier/skinnier tire?

are we skipping the physics class where we talk about rolling resistance ?
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
so you think a lighter tire that's wider would save gas over a slightly heavier/skinnier tire?

are we skipping the physics class where we talk about rolling resistance ?
You know you couldn't compare just those two things, as you mentioned...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
karl lee
MY baby VIOS

Hi all,

My question is asking on sidewall only. Let's assume everythings is the same. Take this eg: 185/60R15 and 185/55R15.

I had found this website, you may want to check it out.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...n_vehicle.html

Thanks all sharing your comment.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Depends entirely upon your average speed and rates of acceleration/deceleration.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
True, but at some point the MPG will actually go down over a smaller tire because as the size goes up, torque goes down.

In general, big tires do better for highway driving, and smaller for city driving because the smaller driving tires have more torque (pulling power) then larger tires....however for mostly highway driving (little stop and go) a bigger tire will provide better MPG, but again, only up to a certain size, then as the tire gets bigger MPG actually gets worse.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote