Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
skoolafish

Drives: 2008 Polar White Yaris Sedan
A handful of extremely NEWB questions

ok - so i'm about to start shopping for the cheaper mods. i'm looking at air filters, fog lights, and a wing type dealy for my trunk

i have an 08 sedan

- i'm seeing both flat air filters and round ones. i already know i need a flat one because i've opened the housing and seen it. i assume the round is for an added intake, but i just want to be sure...?

- i have a choice between AFE and K&m...is there any reason to pick one over the other?

- does replacing oil filters do anything for performance? if so, which one should i get?

- when i first start him up in the morning, and get going, it feels like its struggling to pull off...kind of sluggish, almost like a parking brake is on but not that intense. any mods to remedy this?

sorry for the dumb questions but ya gotta start somewhere
skoolafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish View Post
when i first start him up in the morning, and get going, it feels like its struggling to pull off...kind of sluggish, almost like a parking brake is on but not that intense. any mods to remedy this?
your car isnt warmed up....
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
skoolafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachryboles View Post
your car isnt warmed up....
i understand that this is a myth and a waste of gas. plus it hasnt been that cold here for a couple of weeks
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
ok - so i'm about to start shopping for the cheaper mods. i'm looking at air filters, fog lights, and a wing type dealy for my trunk

i have an 08 sedan

- i'm seeing both flat air filters and round ones. i already know i need a flat one because i've opened the housing and seen it. i assume the round is for an added intake, but i just want to be sure...?

- i have a choice between AFE and K&m...is there any reason to pick one over the other?

- does replacing oil filters do anything for performance? if so, which one should i get?

- when i first start him up in the morning, and get going, it feels like its struggling to pull off...kind of sluggish, almost like a parking brake is on but not that intense. any mods to remedy this?

sorry for the dumb questions but ya gotta start somewhere
1. Yes, flat filters are for the OEM airbox. If you go to the round (conical) filter you have to actually install an aftermarket intake

2. If you're going to stick with the OEM airbox, stick with the OEM filter. I don't think any of the drop-in filters make any significant performance difference. The only other advantage is the fact that they are reusable, but even that doesn't seem to make them worthwhile (in my opinion).

3. Oil filters likely make no difference. I'd stick with OEM or whatever other type of filter you like.

4. Just because the air temp isn't cold, doesn't mean that your motor isn't "cold". Motors and transmissions take a little bit to warm up. That's likely why the car feels a bit poky when you first turn it on
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
any aftermarket air system is all about the same. it just depends on how much you wanna spend. i'd look in the for sale sections and buy the cheapest one or one that just happens to come up. it's all aesthetics, tehy all add the same amount of power, and they're all designed just about the same.

oil filters will not increase performance
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
skoolafish

thank you all. i think ill just focus on my fog lights and wing for now then
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
spoiler for ya.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Yar...-U-spoiler.htm
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
skoolafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
thanks. question for ya...what made you choose an underdrive pulley instead of another type?

pretty sure a pulley will be in my next set
Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
thanks. question for ya...what made you choose an underdrive pulley instead of another type?
?

An underdrive as opposed to what? The NST CR Lite, the complete NST set w/ WP and ALT, or something else entirely?

I went with NST UD based on reviews and resale became available from another member. I didn't really want the 3 piece set as the 'bang' comes from the crank pulley. The other two are little more than cosmetic mods. Didn't need the CR Lite since I'm not s/c'd, nor do I have high electical power drains.

Last edited by WeeYari; 03-24-2010 at 09:26 AM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
ok - so i'm looking for a wing type dealy for my trunk...
When i googled "wing type dealy" on google images, this is the only car related pic that was on page one. Therefor, I now demand that you put this exact "wing type dealy" on your car.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
H3LlIoN

One more thing, specific to the oil filter question...

Oil filter co's always tout their micron filtration, flow rates,etc...On an enhine this size with such a weak oil pump, it won't matter, so go with whatever you want. I personally prefer FRAM, but that's just me, and that's because the bottom two inches is rubber dipped to make gripping the damn things easier.

However, in high horsepower applications it can make a difference. I have literally seen an oil filter implode because of the vacuum created from the oil system that was being run, but this was on a big block nitro rail, not a yaris. My point is that yes, it can make a difference, but not on a yaris.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
skoolafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
When i googled "wing type dealy" on google images, this is the only car related pic that was on page one. Therefor, I now demand that you put this exact "wing type dealy" on your car.

lol...i will do no such thing. "spoiler", is it? lets roll with that instead...

thanks for the oil filter info

@ WeeYari, i meant the 10% underdrive as opposed to the cr lite or wp lite
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
H3LlIoN

the 10% underdrive changes drive ratio, whereas the lite pulleys are same size, just lighter to make engine spool faster.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
skoolafish

awesome, thank you

Last edited by skoolafish; 03-24-2010 at 08:42 AM.