Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
New Wheels Question

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting some new wheels for my Yaris.

I have a 2007 Hatchback, CE version (3 door)

Stock tires are 175/65-14
So I guess that means stock rims are 14" (Even though when I measure the diameter with a tape-measure, they're 15")

Anyway,

The wheels I'm looking at are Sparco Drift's from Tire Rack. 16"

I've got the car lowered 1.9" all around on Tein S Tech springs.

The Sparco rims are 16x7, 4x100 bolt pattern obviously.

Will I have any issues with rubbing with these rims with an otherwise stock setup? With 205/50-16 size tires it ends up being 1.2" wider than stock, according to http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

I was looking at getting some Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires, but I'm questioning their performance in wet conditions, so I may go for something else. Maybe some Continental ExtremeContact DW. I'm open to opinion there as I really don't know much about tires.

My plan is to get the wheels with summer tires, and put some all-seasons on the stock steel wheels because the stock potenza's completely bald. I drove the car off the road after hitting a patch of gravel around a curve...luckily all that was damaged was the stock exhaust, as I went flying off the road backwards down into a ditch and up a bank and it bent up the exhaust a bit where it already bends over the rear axle. Going to get a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust as a replacement!

Anyway, thanks,

Tony

Edit: Holy cow was not expecting $450 for shipping. That's crazy.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
The offset on these wheels will be around +40 (I believe it's +37 if I recall correctly), you will not experience rubbing.

Although I would recommend a 195/50/16 or 205/45/16 tire setup as the 205/50/16 is a bit taller than stock.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
195 50 16 would look really nice too
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
naossoan

thanks for your help
Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
naossoan

I think I will go with the Sparco Drift wheels, 7x16, Black. With Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, 205/45-26 size. $1700 shipped here from Tire Rack.

About $450 total for shipping, $240 of which is for the actual shipping, Duty fees, and brokerage fee. The rest is GST/PST/Provincial Tire fee which I would have to pay regardless.

Even just the Contental tires alone from CanadianTire are $200 more than from TireRack, so I can see why a lot of people buy from there.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Where in BC are you? If you were to get them shipped to the States and road tripped it, may save you a ton of cash.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Check with the guys at Micro Image: they can probably get you a decent deal on the same setup. Not sure about the customs fees though.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
naossoan

I'm actually not in BC anymore, I'm in Manitoba. The closest place I can have things shipped to in the US is about a 6 hour round trip drive. I just really don't feel like driving that so I'll bite the extra shipping costs.

Like I said, I'd still have to pay duties, PST, GST, tire fees, even shipping to a US location and bringing them into Canada. I'd only be saving some shipping cost. I checked what it would cost to ship there and it was still about $90. So it would be a saving of around $90 from straight shipping cost, but that's fine. I'd rather it just come to my little town without any driving hassle on my part. Not to mention that my Yaris is not even insured at the moment as it did not pass safety inspection for Manitoba due to bald tires and the bent exhaust. The vehicle I'm driving right now is my 4x4 Mitsubishi Pajero which gets around 18mpg...on a good day. So that's quite a lot spent on fuel anyway for a drive like that.

I'll probably get a Tanabe Medalion Touring axleback from micro-image because all of the ones I've been able to find on eBay are just as expensive as from him, and any in canada that I've been able to find are around at least $440+

One place I checked was around that and actually wanted me to pay a $70 shipping fee as well. I was like what the hell man?

I already asked cali yaris (if I remember correctly that IS the micro-image guy) for a shipping quote and it was around $65 so t hat's not too bad.

There is a town a little ways across the border from me (I do live in southern Manitoba) but they only offer PO boxes, and to my knowledge do not allow large items shipped there for non-residents. I believe the town is called Langdon in ND.

Anywho I placed my order through TireRack already. According to their site expected arrival is April 4th, so that's not too bad.

Thanks for your help people