Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
tune up time. which components

Well I'm assuming it's tune up time, at least. The car has 120k miles on it, and this will be its first tune up. Anyone know the exact mileage you're supposed to do it?

Also the spark plugs are iridium from the factory. But i would like to try out those e3 plugs. Is there any reason i shouldn't?

As for the O2 sensor, I'm not sure what to go with.

Got a wix air filter.

Fuel filter and plug wires I don't know about. I'd prefer Toyota quality. Any recommendations?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
What model year do you have?

I'm far from an auto expert, but isn't the idea of a "tune-up" a thing of the past? I think you just should follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual? Of course, if you have problems with certain components, those should be addressed.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. (I'm also curious about what others think, too.)
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Well I'm assuming it's tune up time, at least. The car has 120k miles on it, and this will be its first tune up. Anyone know the exact mileage you're supposed to do it?

Also the spark plugs are iridium from the factory. But i would like to try out those e3 plugs. Is there any reason i shouldn't?

Got a wix air filter.

Fuel filter and plug wires I don't know about. I'd prefer Toyota quality. Any recommendations?
IIRC, the schedule in the owner's manual = replace the spark plugs at 100,000 miles. I waited until after 207,000 miles on my '07. I'll change the spark plugs at or before 100,000 miles on my '14.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
I'd go with the OEM (Denso?) Iridiums, just to save me the hassle of having to changing them within the second half of this car's foreseeable life.

Lots of Internet chatter about E3's overly enthusiastic claims about its DiamondFire electrodes.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Stick with denso or ngk. Mine developed a miss at 65k so i put in fresh denso iridiums and all is well. I drive the balls off of mine so maybe thats why i went thru them so fast.

There is no wires...its individual coil on plug.

Consider a belt while your at it...its like 8 bucks. Also get some MAF sensor cleaner spray and clean the MAF. That should make a noticeable difference since it has probably never been done.

O2s dont need to be changed until they are throwing a slow response code or likewise. So save your money. If and when you need to Denso or NTK.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Good point with the MAF sensor cleaner. If you've got the extra 5 minutes while changing the air filter (hopefully regularly and not just at tune-up time), might as well clean off that sensor. Dirty MAF sensor was what caused the surging and rough idle on the wife's Hyundai.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
What model year do you have?

I'm far from an auto expert, but isn't the idea of a "tune-up" a thing of the past? I think you just should follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual? Of course, if you have problems with certain components, those should be addressed.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. (I'm also curious about what others think, too.)
Sorry its a 2009. I guess its not really called a "tune up" anymore, although maybe that term has evolved to simply cover the modern version of this process.

To address a question you posed, the plugs definitely need replaced at some point as they will finally wear out. This may take longer than it used to but they have a finite life span and its a lot shorter than that of the engine. Something tells me these engines will easily see 350k or more, if properly maintained.

As for the plug wires, I figured it was some kind of coil thing, but I've seen newer vehicles that have the individual coil pack setup, but still have a tiny plugwire going from that to the plug lol. Like a 6 inch long one. It was the old style that would still eventually wear out.

Thanks for the recommendation on the O2 sensor, I'll just skip it for another 100k miles, or until it fails.

Now as for Denso, I could have sworn that was honda. Does toyota have a house brand like Ford has motorcraft, and GM has AcDelco?

Yes the air filter I change more often than that, and thanks for the recommendation on the MAF sensor. I completely forgot about that. So I'll get that cleaned up.

As for the belt that one member talked about, which belt were you referring to? I'll admit I haven't ever really had a good root around in the engine, hadn't really had to yet.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Something tells me these engines will easily see 350k or more, if properly maintained.
Two members, yaris9876 and trini_per4mance, have well over 400,000 miles on their original engines. Trini has over 535,000 miles on his original engine. Both of them also made it over 400,000 miles with their original clutches.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Something tells me these engines will easily see 350k or more, if properly maintained.
Another member, Mazilla, bought a courier company with a fleet of 20 vehicles, each a Yaris. The mileage on these 20 ranged, IIRC, from 350k to 500k miles. He sold 19 of them, and kept one for himself.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Toyota uses Denso parts.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:

Got a wix air filter.

Fuel filter NOT a regular service item. As long as you don't get bad gas its good until you do.

Toyota AF the BEST I have seen. But never saw a wix.

O2 sensor leave it alone until it throws a code my 2 cents.

Sparkplug wires NOT necessary at any mileage on this car. My wifes 05 Camry has original plugs and wires. Runs fine.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #12
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Fuel filter NOT a regular service item. As long as you don't get bad gas its good until you do.

Toyota AF the BEST I have seen. But never saw a wix.

O2 sensor leave it alone until it throws a code my 2 cents.

Sparkplug wires NOT necessary at any mileage on this car. My wifes 05 Camry has original plugs and wires. Runs fine.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Thanks for the reply.

However, as one member said, it may be that you need to replace the plugs at 100k miles. If the manual says so, that is. Your wife's car may be suffering some decreased fuel mileage as a result of never having changed them. Even if its not actually running badly.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
How many miles does your wife's Camry have on it ? Not changing the spark plugs started to = adverse performance on my '07 at about 203,000-204,000 miles. I ignored that for a few thousand miles and finally had the plugs replaced at about 207,000-208,000 miles. Great improvement.

Doesn't your wife's Camry have at least a 1.8 L (not the 1.5 L the Yaris has) ?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
How many miles does your wife's Camry have on it ? Not changing the spark plugs started to = adverse performance on my '07 at about 203,000-204,000 miles. I ignored that for a few thousand miles and finally had the plugs replaced at about 207,000-208,000 miles. Great improvement.

Doesn't your wife's Camry have at least a 1.8 L (not the 1.5 L the Yaris has) ?
About 120k now. 2.4 liter four cylinder engine. Might do the plugs this spring when it warms up...

A few years ago at a tech meet for my ST1300 motorcycle, I saw an ST13 with 75k miles on the standard plugs. The motor ran flawless. As the local Honda dealer didn't have new ones so we just gapped and reinstalled the old ones.

Bike ran like a watch!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
we just gapped and reinstalled the old ones.
I'd imagine one reason that Toyota recommends replacement at 100k miles is because most owners don't know how to do that.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I'd imagine one reason that Toyota recommends replacement at 100k miles is because most owners don't know how to do that.
Why would they lose their factory gap? Never heard of this.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #17
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Camry is coil on plug too...no wires

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:37 AM   #18
bairjo

Although this doesn't fall under the "tune up" list of to do's, there has been some discussion that a drain and fill of the AT fluid might be in order at this time. There really is not a clear answer for that in the owners manual that i could find and if you read the threads on this, every dealer it seems has a different answer about when it needs done. Maybe I should not of brought it up on this thread...sorry if that is the case, just a thought you may want to consider it.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote