Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Ford Fiesta vs Toyota Yaris

You know I wonder if the Ford Fiesta is really going to be a yaris killer. I personally think it looks pretty damn good of a car and its just a little bit more power than the yaris but still plans on delivering 40mpg highway 30mpg city. They are also offering leather interior which is pretty sweet and all the different exterior colors to choose from. I would have to say if this car is really reliable like the yaris, which i have a feeling it will be, it may put up big competition towards the yaris.

I could even see an aftermarket turbo kit for the fiesta coming out if they don't have it yet, since it has been in europe for quite some time and they did a poll on the ford website for it.

I don't know, what you guys think?
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
it needs flat folding rear seats

I don't know if i want a 3rd mexican ford either
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Okay maybe it folds flat enough. I give in, if only I had a job to pay for one.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I used to own a POS 78 Ford Courier. Swore that I would never own another Ford. Still haven't.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I used to own a POS 78 Ford Courier. Swore that I would never own another Ford. Still haven't.
You didn't own a Ford [The Courier was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (also known as Mazda)]...the new Fiesta isn't a Ford, btw.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
You didn't own a Ford [The Courier was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (also known as Mazda)]...the new Fiesta isn't a Ford, btw.
Really? It shares a platform with the Mazda2, but it was designed by Ford ...
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Really? It shares a platform with the Mazda2, but it was designed by Ford ...
and it's built by Ford. How is the Fiesta not a Ford?
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
I was under the impression that it's been a Mazda 2/Demio [3rd Gen] in Europe/Asia long before [2007] Ford decided to call it their Fiesta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda2

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 12-22-2009 at 08:19 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
r3b3l

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr liftback
I watched a review of this car on top gear UK the other day. According to them there isnt much room in the boot, the back seats dont fold down flat like other cars in the class, and the price is slightly higher than others in its class. Also they didnt get 40 mpg or even close to it when they tested that. I did like the car I think its a good starting point for ford. But in the end it is a ford, It doesn't have that feeling of reliability that toyota has. Every car I have ever owned has been a ford, and while the f-150 is a very reliable truck I have come to understand that ford takes a few years and a few model changes to get things right. So I would say after about 3 years and a few changes I bet this will be a good car. This is a fiesta and has been around for a while but all the changes they have made to it it just doesnt seem like the same car.
r3b3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l View Post
I watched a review of this car on top gear UK the other day. According to them there isnt much room in the boot, the back seats dont fold down flat like other cars in the class, and the price is slightly higher than others in its class. Also they didnt get 40 mpg or even close to it when they tested that. I did like the car I think its a good starting point for ford. But in the end it is a ford, It doesn't have that feeling of reliability that toyota has. Every car I have ever owned has been a ford, and while the f-150 is a very reliable truck I have come to understand that ford takes a few years and a few model changes to get things right. So I would say after about 3 years and a few changes I bet this will be a good car. This is a fiesta and has been around for a while but all the changes they have made to it it just doesnt seem like the same car.
I can't find the episode with the MPG...do you have a link?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Just starting adding those "leather seat" and other interior options. Watch the price skyrocket. There was a huge debate about it on a local forum that I'm a member of. And of course, it being a michigan/detroit based forum half the crowd was rooting for the Fiesta and the other half are import lovers. But none the less, once you start adding on a good amount of options, one person on the forum priced his fiesta out on the Ford website at near $23,000. F that. I'd rather get a Mazdaspeed 3 for the same exact price. The speed3 would destroy the Fiesta in every category except mpgs, which doesn't even matter anyways when you decide to step up to a turboed sports vehicle.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I think the Fiesta will be a winner for Ford. Toyota doesn't have to worry. The Yaris is already established in the world. Toyota has a line up of cars that can compete in any segment of the market. It's the other makers that have to worry about the Fiesta.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Having driven the Fiesta twice, I can say it's a very nice vehicle. Assuming Ford continues with its above-average quality, it will be a fantastic vehicle. Plus, 40 mpg highway is very good.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
The Fiësta is sold here for a little time now here in the Netherlands and i get some negative stories about building quality.

My brothers mother in law has a Fiësta too but had already problems after one week with the a/c unit and electronical issues.

I think the Fiësta is too big with less interior room than the Yaris.

I won't ever buy a Ford anyway again...
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #15
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
fiesta looks awesome. u may think its a yaris killer but u cant really compare it with yaris sedan :P anyway according to BBC's topgear fiesta is a really good little car but then its not toyota. even top gear admits that toyota never breaks down well not literally ofcourse but its true coz u do have far less problems in a toyota compared with ford... but i just wish if yaris offered more options like the fiesta tho...
overall fiesta is a great car but dont forget its real rival maybe the new renault twingo!!
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
pricing seems more in-line w/ the fit in canada....but the fiesta seems to have lots of standard features....not unlike a scion....i wonder how itll compete against an xD?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
Car and Driver has a road test of the Fiesta. It is a Euro-spec version, but Ford states that the suspension settings will not be changed for the U.S. version.

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
After we’d burned through just three or four tanks of fuel—the Fiesta’s 12.0-gallon tank is good for about 300 miles—it became apparent that this would be a much better choice for a coast-to-coast ride than we’d anticipated—quieter than expected, even cruising at 80 to 85 mph, which the Fiesta managed easily. The bucket seats—leather-clad in this car—were comfortable, with a nice range of adjustability. Pedal placement was sports-car correct, and the shift lever for the five-speed manual was close to the reach. Okay, scratch that last part; of course it was close to the reach, nothing in a subcompact car is very far away. Shift quality was precise, save for some resistance going into reverse, so there was little grousing about the gearbox save for a feeling that a six-speed would take better advantage of the Fiesta’s 118-hp powerband.

Zero to 60: 8.7 Seconds

On the other hand, 8.7 seconds to 60 mph is near the leading edge for cars in this class, and 38 mpg while cruising at 80 mph or so is ditto. For the whole trip—4098 miles in eight days, counting the run from Ann Arbor to Manhattan—we recorded 31 mpg.
Even though I have owned nothing but manual transmissions for years, I would be interested in trying out the new 6 speed automatic. I also like the lighting of the Fiesta's gauges.

I find the option list attractive even though it will make the car more expensive.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdallah380 View Post
overall fiesta is a great car but dont forget its real rival maybe the new renault twingo!!
Not in the US. I don't see any Renault around here.