Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Why?'s Audio Adventure

So I decided to start my own thread, seeing as I'm lazy as hell and I haven't done anything.

So let's start at the beginning. I suck at using my hands doing stuff, generally it ends up in trips to the hospital. But I am learning and slowly figuring out how not kill myself.

I want to learn how to do car audio stuff. I am worried about adding too much weight, and of course blowing my car up, so I am going to go slow and make sure I do it right.

I am not going to add insulation, or anything of the like. I probably am going to strip my car even more, and maybe completely like mr_milessee build thread.

Definitely on the sq side. I had an old (early 90's probably) JL 10" sub in my car for a few years, it was all of 150 watts, yet it gave me a headache if I played it too long. I never really turned it up very loud either.

Now after listening to Derick's car, I know what can be done. His build is awesome, but for me, I need more surround sound. Something needs to be in the back for me to be completely happy.

And at first I am going to aim for a budget type build, figuring If I screw up I won't cost myself too much money. Although I might as well get the right wiring for a full on great build. I don't see the point in having to do that too many times.

I've been in and out of audio quite a bit over the years, but never to the point of actually doing anything. I know some stuff, and some brands, and the like, but only knowing, with zero experience actually doing.

As for music I listen to, well everything. Queen, Keane, 3rd wave ska, metal, show tunes, etc.

So from browsing, the big 3 comes up repeatedly. Yet definitions of what it exactly is seem to be next to impossible to find on the net. What is it specifically, how should I do it on my Yaris, and what wires should I use with my goals?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Big 3:

I used 0 gauge on mine. Techflexed and with heat shrink. Notice 4 gauge compared to the 0 gauge. It's all about surface area...

Battery negative to ground. I "improved" the factory ground...

Improved overall connection:

Battery positive to alternator positive improvement:

Alternator bracket to ground:

...Now, what I don't seem to have a picture of is my engine to chassis ground. It's a relatively short run, maybe 4 inches. There's a great spot under the car generally toward the driver's side.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82xR...e_gdata_player

Big 3 Tutorial.

Do you want to build your own ?

Wire by the foot : http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-...item5ae620f63a

Copper Ring Terminal : http://www.ebay.com/itm/160819615762...84.m1423.l2649

Crimpless Ring Terminals (You'll need 3 sets)*expensive*http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-...item5894067710

TechFlex (think this is big enough SQ what size you use.)http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-BRAIDED-...ab1713&vxp=mtr

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 05-05-2013 at 01:35 AM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Awesome info, thank you.

Which of the 2 ring terminals above is better to use? Or does it really matter?

And is there any 0 gauge wire that is worse or better? Or is that KnuKonceptz stuff just fine and i should get it?

Are there kits? Or are they just really expensive. Hmm, time to google.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Use that first terminal. The fancier ones you see are just for show. The first ones are stupid cheap and work well.

Don't get a "kit", my upgrade cost me $13 for everything...
Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB '07
Sorry to jack, sqcomp, what brand of cable did you use?

Is it okay to use a cca & copper mixed cable for the big 3? ie: cable that is made up of 60% CCA & 40% copper and is 4 gauge sufficient?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

SS - that's a very valid question. It truly doesn't matter on any appreciable level if you use pure copper or CCA. Yes, the copper is the better but really? Are you going to notice a difference? I would bet you won't one bit. If it was going to make any measurable difference in the real world, I'd probably be using pure silver wire...but it doesn't as long as the outside of the wire is 0 gauge (in my application) and the thread count is the same or close.

I'd say any gauge of wire that is bigger and has a better strand count than your stock wiring is a good choice. I used what was in the shop's scrap bin. It just happened to be high quality pure copper wire. If it's in that trash bin, it's fair game for me to use.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB '07
Thanks so much for clearing it up sqcomp, much appreciated.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I'm going to bump my thread back up. I disappeared from the face of the earth for a year, and now I just woke up, with a couple questions.

I bought a wonderful deck, and still need to get it installed. I tried to find people near me to help me, but of course I suck at that.

But anyways, the deck is going to require an amp. To start I just want to run the stock speakers to get use to the deck, but eventually I absolutely want a sub and upgraded speakers of some sort in some place.

I loved D's I6sw in his car, and honestly I am thinking of that type of low power level, but I want something that will be able to hit all the lows unlike the I6SW, which can't get all the way down there. Plus at this point I am not going to use any sound deadening, although that will change if I really get going in this.

Is a 4 + 1 amp really a good buy, or should I get a separate amp for the sub?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I disappeared from the face of the earth for a year, and now I just woke up
. Thanks for starting this thread, and for bumping it up. Pictures and the information from sqcomp, 7, and derick = .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
You need an amp for your speakers your deck is a Digital Sound Processor with no power for speakers.

I have an amp that delivers 4x75 + 1x200 and works ok, saves space and wires, nothing wrong using one like that.

Just keep in mind, Sealed Box (lots of power you need), Vented Box (less power you need)

Also depends on the subwoofer too, got to match it with your amp... if you have an amp with 200 watts and your subwoofer is rated at 500 watts Max it won't be fair for your sub, but if you match that amp with a 200 watts Max it will play louder that the subwoofer rated at 500 watts max.

D.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #12
_S7V7N_

You can either look for speakers you like first and match the amp. Or find an amp and match speakers. A 5 channel can be good.

Also have choice of replacing all 4 speakers or run a good set of components in front.

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #13
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post

Also have choice of replacing all 4 speakers or run a good set of components in front.
Not an option to use the rear speakers, the deck won't know how. Why bought Sqcomp's deck, almost the same as mine, the way to go for him is with a 2 or 3 way front stage.

It's nice to start fresh and choose what to get, isn't it?

D.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
_S7V7N_

http://store.513electronics.com/sale/

Precision Power amps are super discounted. Ask SQ his opinion on them.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
http://store.513electronics.com/sale/

Precision Power amps are super discounted. Ask SQ his opinion on them.
Those are crazy prices. Why is this one http://store.513electronics.com/precision-power-s760-4/ discounted so much more?

And is that store trustworthy?
I assume by your comment they are good and SQ thinks so too.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
_S7V7N_

The Rep is on another site I frequent. If you are seriously lookin at that amp I can get you an email.

The amp is being discontinued and newer models are comming in. If I'm correct they have warranties. Something i'd ask the rep.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Don't bother asking that sales site whether the amplifiers have a warranty. They'll tell you anything to buy from them.

Look on the PPI website and even contact them if you have questions about valid factory warranties from specific sites.

PM sent to you.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Thanks guys, so that settles that. I'm going to visit an installer to get the deck put in, because I would figure out how to make my car a grenade if I did it.

Let's talk subs. I like the where Derrick put his, mainly because I could carpet it and it could be camouflaged and hard to see.

Without breaking the bank our my eardrums, what is a good brand? I know everyone in sq loves Focal, but ouch. EvenThe 5" Utopia is $500.

So I know there are less expensive and almost as good brands out there.