Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch
 
BailOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 1,299
Hi CheapYarisOwner,

There's not much to the solar trickle charger other than the link I gave in the "FE Mods" section: Long Link

... and that you have to drill a small hole in the firewall in order to mount it directly to the 12V battery. I just matched a drill bit to the cable's size and drilled it just to the right of the heater hose. You can't plug it into the 12V adapter inside the cabin as it puts out just enough power to initialize the entire chassis side of the ECU, which uses more juice than the panel provides, thereby creating a drain.

I also had to use a small round file on the back corner of the area of the dash that's right in front of the gauges in order to make the cord lay the right way and not be pinched.

It's not a miracle device, producing just 200mA at 12.3V in direct sunlight, but it accomplishes two things:

1) It replenishes the missing electricity from your battery that was a deficit when you parked it. I have a good climb right before I get to my office and my voltage readout usually shows 12.4V - 12.6V as I park. A full battery in the Yaris usually reads ~12.8V.

2) Once your battery is topped off it keeps it topped off, ensuring that 100% of the battery is available to you at the next start.


These things mean that you'll never have a dead battery (unless a major failure occurs) and when you start up your alternator doesn't have to engage for so long because all it's making up for is the energy used to turn the starter, rather than that plus all the juice you bled off during the down time. The less the alternator places a load on the engine the less fuel your engine needs to burn.

In real-world usage I've found that this solar trickle charger gets me back up to 12.8V in about 2 hours in good light (roughly 1/100 of a Volt every 3 minutes). On a cloudy day it can take up to 6 hours. Of the 2 parking garages I've been in things were odd because one was open to the outside but it was night when I was there, and the other was underground but very well lit, so much so that it still charged about the same as a cloudy day.
__________________
- Brian

Share the Road


I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
Fuel Level Gauge Stuck ? - 2007 Yaris Sedan kaboom New YARIS Purchase Forum 9 05-15-2007 02:58 AM
Fuel consumption US Yaris vs. Canadian Yaris Driver Performance Modifications 8 10-29-2006 02:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.