Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #33
drummerboy2004

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I worked with a girl who looked like Keri Wuhrer, she was that pretty. Her husband runs the family business. The two of them spend money like water, cannot deny themselves the smallest indulgences and will not entertain guests at home.

They recently poured almost a million dollars into a home in a small town. The original house was handsome and functional, now it's gauche and needlessly overblown, with marble floors, sculptures and other trappings.

She used to complain that her husband's friends looked like "bums" even though they were "millionaires". She could not understand why these people would not "spend some of that money". Later she demanded that her husband buy her an Audi, "since he's so rich".

I cautioned her that her refusal to entertain at home is an impediment to her husband's long term happiness. "You need to make a good impression on customers and friends", I said. "It's not the money, it's the small gestures that cement an impression of generosity and ability".

She looked at me like I said it in Mandarin.

I don't understand someone who thinks that money is to be spent for frivolous reasons. You spend money and time on things that will better your life, not things that impress other people.

Gene
That is the problem with many, and more as time progresses. Money is supposed to be one portion of life, not all that it is made out of. Some will spend every day of their life in pursuit of money or wealth, only to ignore things that matter more. The end result is a pointless, labored, life with nothing to show but a figure in some bank. The way I see it, money does not leave the earth with you when you die, so I try to live comfortably and within reason, and don't worry about having more than or something better than everyone else. To me, impressing others at the cost of one's time and effort is just a complete waste. The same reason I bought a Yaris, and not some car I could barely afford to be more impressive.

Matt