Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
belt slippage is a real issue...i've seen it before... When a big bass hit happens, large voltage dip causes the alt to engage and try to make a lot of power.... which means it puts a large load on the belt... if the belt is loose, even the slightest bit it may slip.

Saw this in a durango with six 15's and a 2200rms amp. Every time he cranked it we'd hear a squeal for a few seconds.... finally took a look at the belt and it needed tightening.

your alt can do what.... 280, 300 amps... that alt is very capable of putting a big load on that belt. I would think the belt would have to be even tighter than stock to ensure the belt didn't slip.
The only time i ever hear a belt squeal is when i first turn on the car, other than that i cant hear or notice it at all during hits or anything and ive been outside the car for them.

as soon as the new belt comes in ill allot some time to swap it and ill make sure to have someone very strong with so as to get a really fkn tight belt.

is over tightening something to worry about because im not sure what threshold to restrain to.

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote