Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Lowered Cars Please Read - Bump Stops!!!

I'm running the TRD (KYB) Sportivo absorbers with Springtech 1.8 inch lowering springs, I've had this recurring problem where at least once a week, I bottom out the front suspension on large bumps. And I mean I realllly bottom out the suspension, like @#%THUDDD!!!!#^%$. This cannot be good. The springs and absorbers feel great otherwise, just the big bumps and in fast bumpy turns is it bad.

When I installed my setup I cut the bump stops down as recommened by the spring company. This was also recommended in the Tanabe DIY by Chris07LB. The rear of the car doesn't have bump stops so no change there. I never bottom the rear.

So my bumps are currently about 1.5 inches long, maybe 2 inches. Having a bump stop that is half of or less than half of the original height can't be good. I understand that we don't want the stock bump stop limiting our suspension travel but we also want a bump stop that works and does what it is supposed to i.e., provide safety from bottoming while adding some progression at the end of the compression stroke of the main absorber. The bump stop is just an inactive miniature shock absorber and by cutting it, it's original qualities of absorbsion are lost. So I've been looking around for aftermarket replacements.

So I spoke to a a local autocross suspension tuner and he confirmed my "research" that cutting the bump stops is very bad in that it eliminates that final bit of progressive travel that the bump stop is meant to supply. He also confirmed that the bump stop is a crucial part of the suspension system. This is especially true in fast and heavy turns where a car will actually rest on the bump stop, not only preventing the suspension from fully bottoming but actually adding a very fine level of absorbsion for smaller bumps within the turn.

At this point, I have no final bit of progressive travel. It is gone. I go from suspension working good to... THUD. Supposedly, you can get back about an inch to an inch and a half of travel using these aftermarket bump stops. I already supplied this local tuner with my absorber info and he is going to try to get something together for the Yaris.

Let me know if anyone is interested. The price has not been specified but should be around $50 for a set of four. The price will be halved if you only want the front. I'll try to get him on here to answer questions once the kit is available.

I would also like to ask if any of you have used any of the aftermarket Koni bumps or if your suspension kit might have come with bumps? If you did a self install of the TRD Sportivo kit WITH SPRINGS, did the kit include instructions about the bump stop? I would think Toyota would speak to this in their instructions since the bump stop is an active part of the suspension, not just a stopper to prevent the absorber from banging into the shock hat.

Feedback?
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote