Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
TLyttle
 
TLyttle's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Keremeos BC
Posts: 986
Hm. Looks like we are closer in our thinking than we thought. I agree with your last post in its entirety.

I ran my own company for some years, and didn't realise that we were running "lean", 'cuz everything in there that could be applied to our operation was "lean". We all made good money (profit sharing, among other perks), we all got along (same target: quality), we enjoyed ourselves. No one got bored, and the deadwood left on their own accord. It was a small company, but we changed the face of that industry to the benefit of the customer. I suppose someone will say that there is a big difference between us and GM, but I feel that Toyota proves that there is no difference: it can be done.

And man, can I relate to managers not trusting their people! Many companies I worked for simply felt that there had to be some trick to my suggestions about improving things; how goofy is that? No one goes to work to do a poor job, but Management seems to think that The Peasants must be there to do just that, as lousy a job as possible. None of those guys ever offered any kind of encouragement, and the thought of getting their own hands dirty... well, that was simply a non-starter.

I worked in a truck plant for some years, and was amazed at the transformation that took place when new, dedicated managers took over. All of a sudden the whip disappeared, and the enthusiasm appeared: no one could believe it was the same place. Management CAN make a difference, they just have to want to.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
GeneW
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Hm. Looks like we are closer in our thinking than we thought. I agree with your last post in its entirety.
I work for a living, it's not surprising. We probably just disagree on how things will change.

I think when you make the government powerful the bastards rise to the top and oppress people. I think that power corrupts and ought to be diluted as much as possible.

Other folks think that "Democracy" is the only safeguard against Robber Barons and other non-sense. They will fight very hard to defend the system since it has benefited them in some way.

This debate will probably never end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I ran my own company for some years, and didn't realise that we were running "lean", 'cuz everything in there that could be applied to our operation was "lean". We all made good money (profit sharing, among other perks), we all got along (same target: quality), we enjoyed ourselves. No one got bored, and the deadwood left on their own accord. It was a small company, but we changed the face of that industry to the benefit of the customer. I suppose someone will say that there is a big difference between us and GM, but I feel that Toyota proves that there is no difference: it can be done.
We have some profit sharing. If you had the opportunity to run your own firm than you're a lucky man. More so if you could "hack it". I'm starting to learn how to hack it, but Lord it's not easy, not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
And man, can I relate to managers not trusting their people! Many companies I worked for simply felt that there had to be some trick to my suggestions about improving things; how goofy is that? No one goes to work to do a poor job, but Management seems to think that The Peasants must be there to do just that, as lousy a job as possible. None of those guys ever offered any kind of encouragement, and the thought of getting their own hands dirty... well, that was simply a non-starter.

I worked in a truck plant for some years, and was amazed at the transformation that took place when new, dedicated managers took over. All of a sudden the whip disappeared, and the enthusiasm appeared: no one could believe it was the same place. Management CAN make a difference, they just have to want to.
There is this delusion amongst SOME managers - they believe that there is this thing called a "Career Ladder". Those who climb the ladder into management are 'go getters' and those who "stay in the ranks" must be lazy.

Ain't the case. Some of us don't believe in bullshitting other people, or playing the Corporate Political Game. We hate the compromises and games and non-sense. Some of us are not people smart and have had to learn it as we get along, so we're not hip to those little things that make your career as a manager.

Some folks are not "people smart" and know their limitations. They elect to focus on their career and skills and can achieve wonderful things if you support them. They're not losers and are not stupid. They can also relate to their coworkers and lead others, an important thing when life gets tough on the floor.


I've worked in places where Management was AWFUL, like they were entitled children. Favoritism, sleeping with subordinates, fraternizing outside of work, indulging their bigotry and so on.

I've seen sincere and decent managers get skunked by disgruntled workers, they got sick and tired of fighting all of the time and nobody on the floor wanted to help them. Finally they "gave up" and let things go to hell.

Sometimes you get lucky or people get inspired. The opinion makers on the floor and the management see eye to eye, nobody plays too many games, and the dead wood either goes along or goes away. Be nice if a system were created that insured this sort of thing. Maybe Toyota has it and maybe they don't, but GM needs it badly.

GM could do great things. They have to change. Nothing else will save them now.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.