Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
koolerking
 
Drives: White Manual 2007 3 Door Yaris
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4
I'll also say i agree with the thread starter. I've been driving for 20 years, 95% of that with a manual. After owning my manual 2007 1.3 yaris I still have the same issues. At first i just thought it was me getting used to manual after driving my old auto subaru, but after 18 months the clutch pick up and throttle lag coming off the gas it is still annoying the hell out me. I have stalled it due to the clutch "bogging down" when it hasn't enough gas from off the line, to the opposite of spinning the wheels all the way through to second (on a hill start) when you give it enough throttle to not bog down!

I hate it! Are any of these after market ECU's any good at the throttle lag? Is the clutch hydraulic or cable? If it hydraulic is it controlled by the ECU and therefore able to be adjusted with a uprated brain?

Id also like to add the spinning of wheels isn't helped by the fact the yaris is VERY light on its front end, even with new Dunlops on!

Last edited by koolerking; 10-19-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: afterthought
koolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
woof
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolerking View Post
I'll also say i agree with the thread starter. I've been driving for 20 years, 95% of that with a manual. After owning my manual 2007 1.3 yaris I still have the same issues. At first i just thought it was me getting used to manual after driving my old auto subaru, but after 18 months the clutch pick up and throttle lag coming off the gas it is still annoying the hell out me. I have stalled it due to the clutch "bogging down" when it hasn't enough gas from off the line, to the opposite of spinning the wheels all the way through to second (on a hill start) when you give it enough throttle to not bog down!

I hate it! Are any of these after market ECU's any good at the throttle lag? Is the clutch hydraulic or cable? If it hydraulic is it controlled by the ECU and therefore able to be adjusted with a uprated brain?

Id also like to add the spinning of wheels isn't helped by the fact the yaris is VERY light on its front end, even with new Dunlops on!
Well, I still have my hatch and I still manage to kill it once in a while. I have figured out that the first year I had mine that I didn't realize 'dead pedal' was keeping me from getting my foot all the way down to the floorboard. This means that initial clutch take up was nearly zero. It took a long while to actually look and see the geography of the dead pedal and clutch pedal. Once I saw the clutch pedal was nearly dead center of the steering column I adjusted my foot and started getting the pedal all the way down. My xB1 didn't have this dead pedal AND it had a higher numerical overall final drive number--it was geared lower to keep that brick moving through air on the highway. I think this higher overall ratio made it easier to launch the xB1. The Yaris is definitely designed for high mileage unlike my xB1.

Toyota is definitely at fault for the pedal location. What puzzles me is that it was designed in Europe (as I recall) and they don't have dainty feet either!

My greatest disappointment has been the failure of my dealer or Gulf States to do the right thing on this. They know there are problems.

woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual shifter Mod.... hoahmaru Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 28 04-07-2014 05:05 PM
Manual Yaris performance info? SimmZ General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 22 10-27-2009 09:27 AM
Is the 2006 Yaris Manual stick leather wrapped or not? hoahmaru General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 21 10-30-2008 08:14 AM
Detailed dealer pricing on the new, 2007 Toyota Yaris. tomjasz New YARIS Purchase Forum 3 08-11-2006 10:46 PM
transmission swap kralmrax DIY / Maintenance / Service 5 07-22-2006 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.