Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
Neinris
 
Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: ‘Murica!
Posts: 463
Good info...

Thanks yet again Adam for sharing all those information and doing most of the research. More specifically about the fuel pressure regulator potential issue. But I don't think that's much of an issue, because with this non return style, the FPR that came along with the pump which is also in the basket. Or if you're going to drop in a different pump motor, ie. from a Corolla, then you should use the Corolla FPR. That should solve that problem.

I want to keep mine non return style, so I don't think I'll be strapping in the 255LPH motor that my cousin has laying around. I'm all about keeping this simple and making it user friendly for everyone.

I watched the MCM turboed Yaris again, and come to find out they kept the stock fuel pump!!! You can start at 13:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6D9pB5Ig9Q

And they pushed their car to 200hp at the wheels, but broke the engine, I don't think from fuel issue, but mechanical, spun rod bearing if I remember correctly.

Some are probably asking, is it really worth going through all this hassle trying to figure out a fuel pump upgrade, when the stock one can handle up to 200hp, and maybe more? Most of us here in this community are not going to see 200hp at the wheels. But there are some out there that wants to push the envelope, and want to see what are the possibilities and other options.

In my opinion, if you want to push the limit of the engine in NA form, and want to upgrade your fuel pump motor, you can go with the 2011 Corolla pump motor and fuel pressure regulator. Apparently the 7th Gen Hilux also uses a similar motor, straight through type. That setup may very well be enough for 250hp, who knows.

The RAV4 route is what I'm probably going to experiment with, just for everyone entertainment.

I don't know if I should buy a used one for now, I see some from eBay for less than $65 USD, and they show what the vehicle that they pulled it from, if in fact they pulled it from that vehicle, I wanted to make sure it's the AWD version. Or, should I get an aftermarket one, that's just as cheap, but I won't know if it's the AWD version, because all it says is the year it work in.

Any thoughts?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Thanks yet again Adam for sharing all those information and doing most of the research. More specifically about the fuel pressure regulator potential issue. But I don't think that's much of an issue, because with this non return style, the FPR that came along with the pump which is also in the basket. Or if you're going to drop in a different pump motor, ie. from a Corolla, then you should use the Corolla FPR. That should solve that problem.

I want to keep mine non return style, so I don't think I'll be strapping in the 255LPH motor that my cousin has laying around. I'm all about keeping this simple and making it user friendly for everyone.

I watched the MCM turboed Yaris again, and come to find out they kept the stock fuel pump!!! You can start at 13:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6D9pB5Ig9Q

And they pushed their car to 200hp at the wheels, but broke the engine, I don't think from fuel issue, but mechanical, spun rod bearing if I remember correctly.

Some are probably asking, is it really worth going through all this hassle trying to figure out a fuel pump upgrade, when the stock one can handle up to 200hp, and maybe more? Most of us here in this community are not going to see 200hp at the wheels. But there are some out there that wants to push the envelope, and want to see what are the possibilities and other options.

In my opinion, if you want to push the limit of the engine in NA form, and want to upgrade your fuel pump motor, you can go with the 2011 Corolla pump motor and fuel pressure regulator. Apparently the 7th Gen Hilux also uses a similar motor, straight through type. That setup may very well be enough for 250hp, who knows.

The RAV4 route is what I'm probably going to experiment with, just for everyone entertainment.

I don't know if I should buy a used one for now, I see some from eBay for less than $65 USD, and they show what the vehicle that they pulled it from, if in fact they pulled it from that vehicle, I wanted to make sure it's the AWD version. Or, should I get an aftermarket one, that's just as cheap, but I won't know if it's the AWD version, because all it says is the year it work in.

Any thoughts?
Check out post#23... I had forgotten all about this. It seems that an upgraded fuel pump can be used with a returnless system. A quote from that post:

" It wasn't that hard to convert the stock pump assembly to accept the Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump. I don't remember what I did exactly but I believe all I had to do was wire in the connector pigtail for the wiring connector, strap the pump to the 'frame' with some zip ties and maybe use a length of fuel hose. The 340 pump is actually quite compact for what it is."

And,

"Yes my Yaris is no longer a return style fuel system it is a dead-head."


https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...gulator&page=2
__________________


2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Neinris
 
Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: ‘Murica!
Posts: 463
Interesting...

Did ScarofCarma get back to you? What about a pic of his drop in fuel pump?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Did ScarofCarma get back to you? What about a pic of his drop in fuel pump?
First...I want to be sure that I'm not taking your thread in the wrong direction. Do you want this to be a general thread on fueling upgrades, or more of a focus on the specific upgrade you're planning. Just let me know, and I can become more focused.

No, unfortunately. He sold that car and dropped off YW, afaik, before I got the pics.

Here's the specs of a pump from a 2008 (1ZZ-FE) Corolla. I think this would provide some extra fueling. It's really disappointing that these manufacturers don't list the pump body diameters.



Also, from additional reading, I don't think that a 1:1 FPR is necessary, as you suggested. I think we're barking up the right tree; upgrading the fuel pump only. I did email my tuner, so hopefully will hear back from him before too long.

EDIT: Just heard back from my tuner:

Here's my correspondence. (Will be updated as more responses come in):

Me: That's great, Brett. Thanks. I look forward to what you find out. I had another question about fueling. If I install a Walbro 190 or 155 pump, is there anything else I have to do to the system? It would require modifications to the basket, but I can do that. What I'm wondering about is do I need a different FPR? Will it throw my tune way off? I've read that guys have installed bigger fuel pumps in the Yaris and kept the returnless system. Others converted to a return system.

Brett (tuner): You should be fine with a fuel pump, I would suggest the 255hp, they are made to pop off at a higher pressure for boost application

Me: Great, thanks! What do you mean by "pop off"? Does that mean bypass at a certain pressure? I just figured that the best pump would be one that is the lowest output with headroom for my HP needs. The 255 is good for like up to 500+ HP. The 155 or 190 is good for up to 350+, I believe. What do you think of the Deatschwerks pumps or Aeromotive? And, no need for a 1:1 FPR or return style system, right?

Brett: Yes, many pumps will have a bypass at about 60-80psi, the 255hp pops at 110psi. I assume by 255hp, he means 255"lph".

Me: Thanks. So the stock pump in-tank regulator, which is 44 psi, would bypass at 44 psi, but I would get more volume of fuel delivery? There's no threat of overfueling with the upgraded pump?

Brett: You're close, the 44psi is your static regulated rail pressure, the pop off is there so the pump doesn't loose flow keeping up with regulated demand

Me: Perfect. So you don't see any problem with dropping in a bigger pump then? I have included a link, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you're already very familiar with this. You still think that the 255 is the way to go as opposed to the 190 or 155? I think either would provide more than enough fuel. I do wonder about my wiring as the stock pump draws around 6A. The 255 would be drawing around 9A (13.5V) at 44 psi, the 190 around 7A (13.5V) at 44 psi.
__________________


2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-07-2021 at 07:19 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
Neinris
 
Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: ‘Murica!
Posts: 463
For everyone...

I started this thread for everyone, it's not a build thread, so it's really free for all.

Remember the "High Flow Fuel" web site that I PMed you about? They show that the 2008 Corolla has the same motor can as to 09- Yaris.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/product...orolla~zp_1-8l

And here's a pic from RockAuto:
2008 1ZZ Corolla.jpg

If those stats are correct, I might ditch the RAV4 conversion if that's the case.

The 2008 1ZZ Corolla draws less current than the RAV4, has better average flow than the -09 Yaris, and has a higher max PSI than the RAV4!
I think we have a winner!!!
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I started this thread for everyone, it's not a build thread, so it's really free for all.

Remember the "High Flow Fuel" web site that I PMed you about? They show that the 2008 Corolla has the same motor can as to 09- Yaris.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/product...orolla~zp_1-8l

And here's a pic from RockAuto:
Attachment 61535

If those stats are correct, I might ditch the RAV4 conversion if that's the case.

The 2008 1ZZ Corolla draws less current than the RAV4, has better average flow than the -09 Yaris, and has a higher max PSI than the RAV4!
I think we have a winner!!!
Sounds promising. Here is an application guide for the Beck Arnley pump (152-0989). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Corolla XRS come with the 2ZZ? If so, this pump must be quite strong.



I noticed that the Delphi pump for the same application seems physically longer than the Beck Arnley pump.
__________________


2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-07-2021 at 07:20 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:19 AM   #7
Neinris
 
Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: ‘Murica!
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Sounds promising. Here is an application guide for the Beck Arnley pump (152-0989). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Corolla XRS come with the 2ZZ? If so, this pump must be quite strong.



I noticed that the Delphi pump for the same application seems physically longer than the Beck Arnley pump.
I noticed that as well about the Delphi pump. If you look at the picture again, it comes with a hose, spacers?, and clamps. I don't think it's a drop in replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delphi fuel pump.jpg (31.2 KB, 164 views)
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Efficiency and the Yaris BailOut Fuel Economy Forum 327 01-02-2026 11:44 PM
Fuel filter replacement jaimico DIY / Maintenance / Service 43 03-07-2023 11:05 AM
Fuel Pump Failure eaglerox DIY / Maintenance / Service 14 03-02-2013 10:27 AM
NEED ENGINE CHECK LIGHT CODE LIST Attitude Forced Induction Forum 12 04-11-2011 06:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.