![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, Meteor Metal Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 60
|
snow tires. all you need. putting a huge heavy salt bag in the trunk will lift weight off of the driving and steering wheels, making the vehicle less controllable.
i live in Alaska. i drove my yaris on the OEM bridgestones for a week after buying it in december '08. i did alright, except in corners. our roads here are ice all winter long, and occasionally there is a snow storm that piles the stuff in the streets. last one we had i was plowing through the streets with my bumper and i made it around just fine. i have a set of General Tire Altimax Arctic studded snows, and the car holds the road like a mountain goat. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: Black '09 2dr HB Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: near Chicago, IL
Posts: 286
|
Oh, thanks for the info, I didn't think realize it would lift the weight up in th front.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
daily driver
|
i have winters with a pretty open tread....hums on dry pavement, but was great in the slush this morning...
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: Black '09 2dr HB Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: near Chicago, IL
Posts: 286
|
Yea that's something I'm wondering, I'm only on snow/slush part of the time, the rest are pretty well cleared roads. Or last year the snow would melt, we would have clear dry roads for a while then the snow would come back. I heard its bad/damaging to drive with snow tires on dry pavement. I don't want to have to buy new tires every year because the dry road between snow damaged them.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: Black '09 2dr HB Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: near Chicago, IL
Posts: 286
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
It's the illusion you see
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,887
|
I had a fun drive home, after work. I made a detour to take the highway to go home, so that i can warm up the car a little more.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Learn to slow down. the yaris is light. and get good tires.
I drove 20-25 all the way home from work today. |
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
plus throw a 20 > 40 lb. bag of salt in back of rear seat so over the wheels . Give yeh little more traction .
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
![]() Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatchback Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11
|
great idea with the salt bags in the back seat, better than the trunk, and i'll have a good excuse to not be the family chauffeur. Ok, so here's what i've decided to go with. I can't afford the Blizzaks, although I got Bell tire to match an online price of $77 per tire, after all the extra charges and tax it ended up being $424 out the door. THats a bit more than I can afford at the moment. So I looked at their website and they have Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2's for $62 each, so I'm going to try to get 4 of those, and u can print a $20 off coupon online, so it should cost me about $322 for 4 of those. Unless I can convince them to sell me 2 tires at one place and 2 at another then i'll save another $20 with another coupon. Or if i feel crazy i could go to 4 different Belltires and buy them individually at $20 bucks off a piece. hehe... Anyways, so before I do, just wanted to see if anyone had any objections to this, not me ripping off Belltire with the coupon scheme but the idea of the Coopers.. I hear good things and mediocre things about these tires, but for my price range, and just wanting anything better than what i have (Kelly Gold Navigators), I think this may be the best deal I can get. Its either this or try to survive the winter and then move someplace snow doesnt exist.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Just say, "here, I want 2, here is a coupon". If they tell you they cant due to inspections, sign a waiver. I did that last year. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
if you place bags of salt on rear seat I would clean them off and then put it / them in clear plastic garbage bag and seal with whatever tape you have available so not to get seats dirty or if have / form a leak . Actually meant to put bag behind rear seat of hatch or sedan ( in trunk ) so weight is over tires . Also , flip cargo mat or trunk mat over so the bag doesn't slide around as much . We use studded WEATHERMASTER ST-2's for both YARISes on all 4 wheels . Work very well in snow too . Have plenty of bite . Preferred the original WEATHER MASTERs . They had more bite in snow . GOOD LUCK
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: Black '09 2dr HB Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: near Chicago, IL
Posts: 286
|
Well someone said "putting a huge heavy salt bag in the trunk will lift weight off of the driving and steering wheels, making the vehicle less controllable." So now I don't know if its a good or bad idea. Putting it in the rear seats is still in the rear. Would that still lift weight off the front tires?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 171
|
Get 4 good quality snow tires. TireRack.com, DirectTire.com, or a local wholesale outfit ($80 - $110 each)
Keep tire pressure in between 32psi and max sidewall rating. Find a carpool partner. A little extra weight between the wheels and an extra pair of eyes to watch for ice and other slick conditions. Practice, find a large business parking lot and carefully experiment with letting the car slide a little. Drive in slick conditions enough and you can just about feel when the wheels start to slip. |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
keep our snow tires at 36 p.s.i. , helps with various temps .
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| ice, snow, tires, wet, winter |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| HELP!? HORRIBLE drive home during first REAL Snow in Michigan, | paulyd0021 | Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack | 15 | 12-11-2009 08:07 PM |