Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
SilverBack
Joey
 
SilverBack's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: El Monte, Ca
Posts: 3,530
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Who gives a shit what they think? Only someone who's owned a Yaris for a year or two can give a realistic review.
__________________
Formerly owned Met-Met. '07 Yaris LB 5-speed.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
they take the EPA and divide it by 2 . Automatic : 29/35 . 32 when divided by 2 . Not real world mileage . What a farce .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
at least this write up likes the 2010 YARIS . http://iguida.com/2010-toyota-yaris .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Yaris#2
 
Yaris#2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 5dr hatchback manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: indiana
Posts: 34
Frankly, I spent less money and got more car than I expected. Since I don't live in my car, all I expect is for it to get me from point A to point B dependably and inexpensively with reasonable comfort on the way. I win!
Yaris#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
As someone who literally owns 20 years of cr reports auto issues, I can say they stopped being automotively relevant sometime in the late 90's. Be it politics or stupidity, their ratings are biased big time.

The bottom line is the Yaris is a great car. I've owned sports cars, and family sedans, and driven all sorts of others. The Yaris does what it does incredibly well, and it can carry 5 peoples comfortably and safely as well.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
yarrr
Banned
 
Drives: 07 sedan
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: new mexico
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
As someone who literally owns 20 years of cr reports auto issues, I can say they stopped being automotively relevant sometime in the late 90's. Be it politics or stupidity, their ratings are biased big time.
I'm sure this had nothing to do with the failing of the american car companies either... lol

You hit it on the head though, in the 90s CR was one of the most important tools any consumer could use. Now I prefer the little astrology pamphlets sold in line at the grocery store over CR.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
DerFlosser
 
DerFlosser's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 355
Consumer Reports is more concerned with where their paying sponsor is coming from. Consumer Reports will be extinct in a few years and quite frankly, I am surprised that people still pay for subscription.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Crashmaster
 
Drives: 2 Door hatchback
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Franklin VA
Posts: 12
While not having read the actual article, it would seem that CR isn't giving a "real world review" when it comes to the MPG, something it has always touted itself as doing. Those real world results would be CR's actual MPG during the test, something I would like to know what they averaged. Since 90% of my driving is highway miles, I can truly say that my MPG has stayed consistent at around 42. OK, the past couple of months it's been 41.983 or something like that, but who's counting.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
devinlamothe
 
devinlamothe's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sudbury, Canada
Posts: 520
Even with the ABS issue I still love this car. I consistently get 40MPG, about 45MPG in the summer. If I had to do it over again I will still buy the Yaris again. 4 years and going strong!!
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
carlghoul
 
Drives: Fit, Scion XA, '91 Ford Festi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cal
Posts: 6
One of CR's biggest complaints has been the rear end sliding during sharp cornering, but I notice on Tirerack's consumer reviews of the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92's (the stock tires that come on all U.S. Yaris') everyone makes the same complaint no matter what kind of car those tires are on. Move up one size to some 195/55/15 tires and to a tire that sticks better, like a General Altimax UHP, and the problem is eliminated. CR used to favor simple, basic, practical cars like the Yaris. Whenever there was a choice of 2 engine sizes for a car, they always used to recommend the smaller engines to save fuel and money, saying the bigger engines were not neccessary. Now, they always recommend the bigger engine for more power and acceleration. They proclaim an expensive Lexus the "best car they've ever tested". Value is no longer even part of their evaluation. It may be as simple as the people in charge are much wealthier than before, so they live in a Lexus kind of world. I miss the old CR with black and white photos and an anti-conspicuous consumption attitude.
carlghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
SailDesign
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlghoul View Post
One of CR's biggest complaints has been the rear end sliding during sharp cornering, but I notice on Tirerack's consumer reviews of the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92's (the stock tires that come on all U.S. Yaris') everyone makes the same complaint no matter what kind of car those tires are on.
<snip>.
Happily, all '09 cars, at least all that I have seen, came with Goodyear Eagle LS's. MUCH better tire (having had the '07 with the 92s, as well as the '09)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
bkrownd
 
bkrownd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upper Waiakea Forest Reserve
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlghoul View Post
One of CR's biggest complaints has been the rear end sliding during sharp cornering
Gosh, in my wild youth I always thought of that as a "feature".
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
Gosh, in my wild youth I always thought of that as a "feature".
Biggest LOL ever.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Kal-El
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,179
^^Yup, if a BMW does it, it's amazingly great. When a Yaris does it, then

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
^^Yup, if a BMW does it, it's amazingly great. When a Yaris does it, then

Well, a Yaris doesn't advertise itself as the ultimate driving machine.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #16
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
yup , ain't what they used to be .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #17
yaris-me
Learn to Relax
 
Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 2,070
I'm happy with my Yaris, and that's all that matters.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
RedStickHam
 
RedStickHam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Posts: 56
I get around 32-35MPG in my Yaris. However, my driving is almost all stop and go city driving, so that lowers it somewhat. In addition, here in south Louisiana, summer temperatures get well into the 90s, so running without A/C is difficult to impossible, which takes some MPG with it.

I haven't read Consumer Reports in a long time. Last year, my boss lent me the automotive issue because I was car shopping after my old car got totalled. They didn't recommend the Yaris, but I took a chance on it anyway. I liked its different styling and good mileage rating, along with the reliability reputation of Toyota.

The only complaints I really had were the center mounted speedometer took some getting used to, and there isn't much trunk space without putting the seats down, and the sound system is mediocre, but it's still a great little car for getting me to work, runnign errands, etc.
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
How much did you pay for your 2010 Yaris? rytis New YARIS Purchase Forum 99 01-15-2011 06:26 PM
Purchased a 2010 Yaris Sedan rye7jen New YARIS Purchase Forum 10 02-18-2010 05:09 AM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.