Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned
 
TEHxFALLEN V1.2's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 1,890
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
i have have a pneumatic shifter.
__________________
DON'T LIKE ME? TAKE A SEAT WITH THE REST OF THE BITCHES WHO ARE WAITING FOR ME TO GIVE A FUCK.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
yaris2010RS
 
yaris2010RS's Avatar
 
Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Angus, Ontario
Posts: 1,886
am i the only one not seeing this problem? you are describing it as dangerous as a wheel randomly falling off while doing 55..... if i understand correctly it is simply you cannot take off from stop because u dont know how to drive standard properly.....
__________________
If it has boobs or wheels sooner or later your gonna have problems with it
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...
 
ozmdd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 867
There is no problem with the Yaris M/T. It appears that quite a few Yaris owners simply need to become more skilled at driving a manual transmission. Lots of people getting too soft in this technology-driven world.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob
 
Betrivent's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 325
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,408
After reading this, it makes me feel better after I learned how to drive standard on my yaris. I thought I was doing it wrong, guess it's because it's harder to learn on this car :)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
YaRS
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North
Posts: 48
I think the simple solution is for all potential buyers to go out and test drive the car they want. I'm sure that there is at least one dealership nearby with a MT Yaris (although, they are on the rarer side where I'm from).

I figure that if you have driven MT cars before, then you should be able to at least go from a stop without stalling by the end of the test drive. If not, perhaps another car is the answer.

That said, I sat in an Aveo before and was startled to find that there was the same amount of play in the shifter regardless of whether you were in neutral or in first... so we can't have it that bad.

Also, it is possible to drive the Yaris without using the clutch (other than to launch from a stop). So all the uber haters need to take a breath and maybe some driving classes.
YaRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
woof
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 114
My problematic Yaris is my third Toyota. I never had a problem with the first two. I traded a five-speed '05 xB1 with 50K miles for my Yaris 5-speed. The Yaris was a nightmare to drive the first year.

I noted this with the dealer three times over 2.5 years. When I went back in for some serious attention (55K miles) the service manager lied to me. The whole service department had been lying to me for 2.5 years. The state Toyota rep had me take it to another dealer and they lied saying the metal on metal clunking was "allowable". So, the Gulf States rep is a liar.

TOYOTA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS OR WARRANTIES!

I am now going to have to go to the state AG office and every other place in creation to get some attention on this defective design and the subsequent damage.

Note: The Big Foot Mod didn't come out of no where, it was a necessary fix to a problem that many people experienced. My original service manager admitted, by accident, he was aware of the dead pedal height difference in our near screaming match.

I have driven clutch only cars for 40 years. This is not something I have a problem with and my Scion (same drivetrain) was flawless. The Scion xB1 doesn't have a "dead pedal" extending to the clutch.

I had an independent mechanic diagnose my problem before I wrote my dealer's owner and I have slack in the inside CV joints and possible slack inside the transmo (splines).

I traded my xB1 at 50K miles because of its high mileage in just two years. I should have kept it.

Lesson: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, anybody, will be happy to take your maintenance money with a smile. Take them an expensive warranty repair and expect to be beaten like a redheaded step child. Toyota's don't normally have problems before 60K miles but if they do....see CAPS above.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
supmet
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
TOYOTA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS OR WARRANTIES!
I could name 3 people off hand who have had their yaris transmission replaced under warranty, but you aren't listening anyway.

Toyota doesn't cover operator error, the yaris would start at 20k if they did.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
woof
 
Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 114
Quote:
just because you are used to a cable accelerator, and a longer friction point in the clutch, doesn't make the car bad, it makes you not willing to learn to drive it, you expect it to be exactly like everything you have ever owned. Well its not.

^if you had an independent mechanic take apart your motor, why didn't you have him fix it?^

I have ALL the symptoms people here are bitching about, but you know what? Its just you (whoever is bitching). I have no issues with shifting/starting on hills/slipping clutch. Learn to drive your NEW car, with its NEW quirks, don't expect it to act like your OLD car did. Its not the same vehicle.
12-22-2009 06:07 PM
My xB1 had fly-by-wire and was flawless at 50K miles. My mechanic and assistant diagnosed slack in cv joints and possibly inside transmission. I've driven nothing but clutches my entire life. Improve you reading comprehension.

Quote:
seriously, I ride the clutch often for first gear, once i'm moving it's fully engaged, but djgese do i ride it under 5 mph, and to be honest I could care less; you should too, and here's why: by the time this will ever matter in any way, shape, or form the car will be 8-10 years old, and have it's 3rd owner by then (well like 90% of us atleast). And if you keep this car for 10 years and it still is putting along (as I suspect it will) then you my friend have had a great investment on your hands.

can we rename this thread to something more realistic? perhaps, 1st gear sucks goat..., but let's stop the 'whining'?
Unfortunately, it started mattering after six months of ownership. This is not my thread...someone else started it and named it.

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear this all.
Makes me feel better about the A/T I got "stuck" with since I could'nt snag a five speed with the coveted power pkg. that I so enjoy.....
The Gulf States guy said Toyota is making it harder for people to get a manual transmission. I guess it's less chance of warranty problems with the a/t.

Quote:
I could name 3 people off hand who have had their yaris transmission replaced under warranty, but you aren't listening anyway.

Toyota doesn't cover operator error, the Yaris would start at 20k if they did.
First, tell me what they did to have that done? Second, operator error, in the case of an experienced driver, can only come from a defective design especially since I drove the identical drivetrain for 50K miles before the Yaris. Toyota quality has fallen quite a bit. The massive recalls they have going right now are costing about $800M. That's just shy of a billion. On another forum (non-car) someone had started a thread on Toy and two other people have had the same problem with warranty work being denied for lesser problems.

I would like to know what the 20K comment means?
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
supmet
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
First, tell me what they did to have that done? Second, operator error, in the case of an experienced driver, can only come from a defective design especially since I drove the identical drivetrain for 50K miles before the Yaris. Toyota quality has fallen quite a bit. The massive recalls they have going right now are costing about $800M. That's just shy of a billion. On another forum (non-car) someone had started a thread on Toy and two other people have had the same problem with warranty work being denied for lesser problems.

I would like to know what the 20K comment means?
First -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
My third gear syncho when out at around 27,000 miles. I went to the dealership and demanded a new transmission. Being persistent and firm, I got a new transmission.
Second - I'm not arguing the defective design/operator error thing anymore.

Third - toyota had a bad year for VOLUNTARY recalls, but they really didn't have that many more than GM. Toyota recalls just get a lot more press coverage to brainwash america into buying american. Its the american thing to do, especially with the economy the way it is.

The 20k comment - means if toyota covered every last thing people came in and complained about under warranty, it would cause astronomical inflation to the base price of the yaris, to pay for the extra warranty work.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
AlexNet0
 
AlexNet0's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rockland, ME
Posts: 1,638
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
just because you are used to a cable accelerator, and a longer friction point in the clutch, doesn't make the car bad, it makes you not willing to learn to drive it, you expect it to be exactly like everything you have ever owned. Well its not.

^if you had an independent mechanic take apart your motor, why didn't you have him fix it?^

I have ALL the symptoms people here are bitching about, but you know what? Its just you (whoever is bitching). I have no issues with shifting/starting on hills/slipping clutch. Learn to drive your NEW car, with its NEW quirks, don't expect it to act like your OLD car did. Its not the same vehicle.
__________________
----------
----------
AlexNet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
blacksan
 
blacksan's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I have ALL the symptoms people here are bitching about, but you know what? Its just you (whoever is bitching). I have no issues with shifting/starting on hills/slipping clutch. Learn to drive your NEW car, with its NEW quirks, don't expect it to act like your OLD car did. Its not the same vehicle.
Ouch but true!!! I grew up on a farm and drove crapy-ol-stuff with burnt out clutches and severely worn drivetrains. We only used clutches for starting and stopping and nothing else once we learned technique. It still bothers the hell out of passengers when I shift without a clutch............
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
blacksan
 
blacksan's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,121
Shift, Grind, Shift, Grind, Cuss, Lear, Cuss, Learn, Repeat..........
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
gonzo452001
 
gonzo452001's Avatar
 
Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: French Lick,IN
Posts: 185
I have 73,000miles on my manual yaris and I am still not very happy with the clutch just can't get used to it but I plan to drive it at least 200,000 miles before I buy my next car
__________________
07 yaris LB 5-speed blazing Blue
07 yaris LB Auto Bayou Blue
rostra cruise control
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
Ramblin yari
 
Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 573
Posts: 19
I'll go for months without incident and then kill it twice in one day. Not the end of the world. I do wish I had an automatic though.
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,155
the Yaris's clutch is a PITA and could use some improvement IMO
I'm used to it now, but it took long enough. Not so with other brands.

Food for thoughts, Mr. Toyota
__________________
Follow Bamboo the YarisWorld Traveler here
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
wonder if the 2010 clutch engagement is any better . Any input from 2010 manual owners , renters or test drives ? We too had a bit of trouble with the clutch engagement in 1st gear of the 2008 3 door that was traded in for an automatic '09 5 door . Otherwise liked the quicker starts and the fun of driving a 5 speed manual . Especially after changing out the GL-5 factory gear oil to REDLINE MT-90 synthetic gear oil that's 75w-90 and GL-4 . Maybe someday we'll trade in for another manual if clutch engagement is better and then refill with REDLINE once again .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
yaris2010RS
 
yaris2010RS's Avatar
 
Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Angus, Ontario
Posts: 1,886
my 2010 is great. the DBW is the only realy problem with taking off (and the fact the clutch grabbs at a different point each time.....
__________________
If it has boobs or wheels sooner or later your gonna have problems with it
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
Crashmaster
 
Drives: 2 Door hatchback
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Franklin VA
Posts: 12
The problem that I had was getting used to the friction point on the cluch and the touchyness of the throttle. To me I feel this is all due to the fact that the throttle and cluch have no linkages, they are all operated by electronics. It just took me the better part of a year to get used to this thats all.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual shifter Mod.... hoahmaru Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 28 04-07-2014 05:05 PM
Manual Yaris performance info? SimmZ General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 22 10-27-2009 09:27 AM
Is the 2006 Yaris Manual stick leather wrapped or not? hoahmaru General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 21 10-30-2008 08:14 AM
Detailed dealer pricing on the new, 2007 Toyota Yaris. tomjasz New YARIS Purchase Forum 3 08-11-2006 10:46 PM
transmission swap kralmrax DIY / Maintenance / Service 5 07-22-2006 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.