Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
the best way to do an exhaust on these, is to cut right before the first resonator starts, and pipe it to the muffler of your choice, with a cherry bomb glass-pack or similar straight through type resonator somewhere in the works. this is what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXAyTLtkHOs
what in high quality. sorry, my girlfriend's little brother has to always make an annoying commentary every time he uses a video camera.

i do still think the nitto mid-pipe sounds best, it actually made our car 1dB (estimated by me) quieter, and a bit deeer as well. This is because its using 3 resonators instead of a cat. The only problem is, the first resonator will fail quickly because of the heat. The same thing happened to another guy on this forum. I actually cut the first resonator apart and the weird fuzzy packing material that absorbs the sound had burned and hardened and was rattling around inside the resonator. In the end, i just cut the nitto mid-pipe just before the second resonator and welded it onto the end of the factory cat. worked out great and its even quieter now.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Kaotic, I think ours is just one offs. I'm sure they only did it because I requested it to be done. I do remember that they did have 3 variations (including my center out) for the sedan and 2 variations for the LB.

I'm sure they narrowed it down to 1 because of cost issues.
Oh, wow, didn't know that. LOL. Either way, Magnaflow makes some good sounding mufflers.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Kaotic, I think ours is just one offs. I'm sure they only did it because I requested it to be done. I do remember that they did have 3 variations (including my center out) for the sedan and 2 variations for the LB.

I'm sure they narrowed it down to 1 because of cost issues.
I was really looking forward to getting the center dual exit catback they were working on for the LB... Pity.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
Split

another good point about magnaflow. i had one on my e46 m3, and it was half the price of the nearest competitor, and it was a full catback instead of just a muffler. it was $800 for the full true dual system, where-as the nearest competitor was like $1500 just for a muffler! stuff was so overpriced for that car!
sounded better than the competitors too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5z7wGGCsA
might sound a bit ricey outside the car, but inside the car it sounded like a ferrari enzo i kid you not.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I was really looking forward to getting the center dual exit catback they were working on for the LB... Pity.
Do you know which version they made for the LB?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #24
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Do you know which version they made for the LB?
Actually I'm not aware of any official Magnaflow setup for the LB, but I may be uninformed.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #25
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post

I guess back when they (Magnaflow) had the thread, they realized the market wasn't there. If only more folks showed interest maybe? What happened to me was that they never returned my phone calls, I did not got calls from them again. I just assumed they made their decision, IE, maybe the Yaris wasn't wasn't a big enough aftermarket venue (Hah! tell that to Garm and the the other vendors here).

Who really knows, they haven't been back here? By the way the LB they worked on was a member here, but he/she sold hers when they got scared over some seat belt with kids issue.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
maybe the Yaris wasn't wasn't a big enough aftermarket venue (Hah! tell that to Garm and the the other vendors here)
Actually, you'd be surprised at what the vendors have to say about that... Even though the Yaris is currently one of the best selling cars in the US, there seems to be very little interest coming from the consumer side as far as aftermarket products go... Couple that with the not-so-great state of the economy, and you have a bit of a problem on your hands...

Here's to hoping that changes soon, though! I, for one, hope there will be enough Yaris aftermarket support for years to come.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #27
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
I went custom, removed the resonater and put on the magnaflow for about $125 installed.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
Split

that magnaflow looks like the nicest set-up on the market. The nitto mid-pipe probably sounds and performs better, but the first resonator fails almost immediately because of the heat coming out of the headers.. i actually removed the first resonator and the fibreglass packing / sound-deadening material actually burned up around the resonator. I think the this magnaflow is the best option for sedan users, for hatchback users, i'd suggest buying a nitto mid-pipe, but cutting it right before the second resonator and welding it onto the stock catalyst.