Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
Possible NEW discovery....(getting through the firewall)

So today i was cleaning up my yaris and decided it was time to run my amp cable through the firewall like its supposed to be. so i reached up behind the dash to find somethng to go through. I stumbled upon this huge grommet with TONS of wires coming through it. so i went on the other side and got my skinny hands along that wire harness (behind and to the right of the battery)

if you run your hand along it then when you get as far as you can reach then slide your hand down along the left side .. on the bottom left of the engine side of that grommet there is a "nipple" you wont be able to see it .... but you can feel it.. it feels like a baby bottle nipple.

so .. i went back in the cabin and got a skinny screwdriver with a 6 or so shaft to it and found that on the cabin side there is a hole in the grommet that goes into that nipple. (i went to the engine side and felt to see if the screw driver was in that nipple.. and it was.. its the exact size of the amp wire kit wire.

also if you look at the cover thats on that harness you'll see a cutout on the left side to slide a wire in there through the protector.

this part sucked. and i mean sucked.

It probably took me about 45min to get the end off that nipple so i could get the wire through. i tired the wire with a string .. poking through it then trying to grab the string to pull the cable through .. then i tried tying a string o the end of the screw driver and getting that through .. then taping the wire to the screwdriver to get it through.. all failed.

so then I decided to reach in on the engine side and try to just pull the end as far as i could then "nip the tip" with some small scissors (nose hair clippers) its sooo tight in the spot its impossible. if someone had some hemostats (sp) they could pull it and lock it then slice it off.. but i'm not a surgeon nor a druggie .. so i didnt have any lol. But I was able to keep pulling it and eventually it ripped off . when i fed the wire through after it came off it was quite apparent thats whats its for. the rubber that was once the nipple was firm around the cable sealing it off.

then i just pulled it through and reattatched it.

I could probably snap some pics of the area i am talking about . but will never be able to get a picture of the nipple ..its quite deep in there and i dont think it could be photographed. If someone has the parts list for the car you could probably grab a picture of the grommet from there and see exactly what i mean.

I'll try to hunt down a picture of it :)
Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
lol well fine . be that way.