Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Megan Coilovers

I'm officially in the ST "Arms Race" now, after my Volks and these coilovers.

Just bought some Megans, so now I'm looking for set-up advice. I'm planning to keep the drop around 1.5", and need to get ideas on the settings so I can have a good DD ride, but change on the weekends for effective autocross settings. If anyone has these and can share some insight, I'd appreciate it.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
markitect

Drives: Yaris
I plan on doing ST with the Megan Coilovers next year too. Here is my thoughts/plan based on other cars (we have a bunch of civics in ST).

As far weight transfer goes the lower the better. The problem is it will mess up your alignment and can affect rideability, so there is a trade off. Based on the typical compact car setup the sweet spot will be between 1" and 2" so your in the right range. I'm limited by the fact that roads in Michigan suck so I was going to start at 1". The important thing is to make sure you can still get a good alignment. There are people that adjust their height and even alignment for every event, but I don't plan on going that hard-core.

Your shock rates are easy to adjust at the course and will depend on the surface you race on. Just set them as desired for DD, and when you get to events crank them to as hard as they go. The problem with this is if there are surface irregularities you will loose more traction on them. If you have a good surface this will just mean making sure to drive around drainage grates and things like that(at least keep your tires off them). But if the surface is old and has lots of defects you might need to soften them up a bit, particularly in the front as it's less of a problem if you back is unsettled(some people just always leave the front a little softer, experiment and see which you like better).
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
do you have a shock dyno for the Megans? I am curious to see one, i havent looked... i know alot of people here are pleased with them.

from what i hear, the tire to have at the moment is the R1R in 225. but i think i have heard that there are some better/faster tires coming out. the new advan and bridgestone should be fast.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
do you have a shock dyno for the Megans? I am curious to see one, i havent looked... i know alot of people here are pleased with them.

from what i hear, the tire to have at the moment is the R1R in 225. but i think i have heard that there are some better/faster tires coming out. the new advan and bridgestone should be fast.
from what i've read, the RS3's are very good as well in 225 45 15

camber camber camber!!!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Yup, so far-so good on the Kumho XS's in 205/50/15 with -2.5 degrees camber up front (each), but may go all the way to -3 when I go lower.
Did the Rear swingarm relocation with good results, will probably shim for toe only in the rear, as my camber seems fine at -1.1. No tire rollover whatsoever, even around 28 psi, so the sway bar is working.

Looking for rebound/damping info, and whether or not I'll want to use helper springs on the megans.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

[QUOTE=kngrsll;416642]do you have a shock dyno for the Megans? I am curious to see one, i havent looked... i know alot of people here are pleased with them.

QUOTE]

No, but I'll keep an eye out for one. Thx
Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've got the Megans and had them aligned a few months ago. I believe I got -1.5 camber in the front. I'm on 195/55/15s, although it's my daily driver, so I didn't want any big camber up front.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote