Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Experience builders... Kick panel building...

is it OK if I don't use FOIL on top of the carpet, before the tape?


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Arrow

I think I'm going to put the OEM carpet with "Yaris" logo and tape on top, so I can get the carpet down there with out cutting it!

Here are the pictures of what I did a couple of nights ago...













D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
CAyaris
 
CAyaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Goodyear
Posts: 209
Send a message via MSN to CAyaris
Looks good let me know how that works for you i have been looking into making custom fit enclosure like that in a wheel well or next to one
__________________
108hp and still rolling
CAyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I kicked a response onto DIYMA
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
It's going to warm up a little bit here in next couple of days, I'll take advantage and work some fiberglass!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Work it brother! Pics!
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Wow!

I think I hit the wall, 3:40 am and I made a mess. Working with glass making kickpanels it's very hard.

I'll show pictures of my frustration, I think I can make it work... we'll see!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If you could see how big my smile is...

I have a hint for you that can make your panel fab a little easier.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
If you could see how big my smile is...

I have a hint for you that can make your panel fab a little easier.
I guess I need some advice!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
First, what was the most difficult part of the glass laydown?
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
First, what was the most difficult part of the glass laydown?

OK, besides getting down there and doing some Yoga... the most difficult part was applying the resin on the upper section/vertical areas. The fleece just kept sticking everywhere out of place. I guess I need to be more aggressive and not to be afraid to work with more than 6 oz of resin at a time.


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
sickpuppy1
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 871
Got my Lil sub in a .56 cu ft ported box....Nice balance of sound now, and with the fronts not doing anything under 100hz, they are livin better too. Gotta play with settings, but so far so good!
I bet that is a hard shape to lay freehand. Listen to SQ Derick. Maybe learn from his "experience"........
__________________
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Red face

Here are the pictures of the kick panels in wanna be kick panels...










Get set GO!







This morning every thing looked ok, very stiff and rock solid, I don't know if I should pull them out and keep adding layers or do another layer down there?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Eeek...it's just me, I wouldn't lay day down fleece as a bottom layer. Butnow that I know you did, we can work with making that fleece straight. Do what you can to make the substrate as flat as possible for a few more layers. I use fleece to wrap the top of the enclosure.

Show me pics of how you lay down glass matting. I may have some suggestions.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Show me pics of how you lay down glass matting. I may have some suggestions.
Well, the first batch was kind of random, just trying to cover the fleece at least once or twice in some areas, My intention was to place them at 90 degrees overlapping with each other starting from top to bottom, but didn't happen.

It got cold again, Brrrr


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp


The issue starts here. We need to keep the substrate flat to get the closest fit to the panel. If the base isn't flat it is VERY difficult to get a build up with all those waves that we see. Also, it's probably better to use chop mat versus glass weave in that area. Chop mat is great for build up, which is what you're trying to do.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #17
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
We need to keep the substrate flat to get the closest fit to the panel. If the base isn't flat it is VERY difficult to get a build up with all those waves that we see. Also, it's probably better to use chop mat versus glass weave in that area. Chop mat is great for build up, which is what you're trying to do.
It wasn't easy to pull that thing out!

The waves kind of filled in and made a flat surface in the back, the second layer filled in the uneven areas on top, I just added another layer, it's very heavy and solid, I'm going to add another layer or 2 then trim out and glue in the ring for the speaker, any suggestion for aiming the L6s? my feeling is 30-45 degrees at the stick???

This is not easy, I guess after doing it half a dozen times, it gets better!



D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
I did a second layer, now I'm going to try to pull it out, trim and reinforce it.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.