Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
D,

You can also kick one of the preouts off on the function screen on your source as well to go two way.

I think that if you do the mids in the kicks and I do the improved A-pillar design, we can compare notes and work out which is best...at least given certain variables.

Oh...and the horns? They pegged out my SPL meter at over 130 dB at 30 feet away. I'm also looking into replacing the horns with some Nathan AirChimes. We'll see what the fundage over the next year looks like. This horn setup is MAGNIFICENT! Totally worth the money.

Also, talk to Scott about some B stock L3SEs. See what he says. If you don't get a good deal, talk to me and I'll figure something out for you.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
D,

You can also kick one of the preouts off on the function screen on your source as well to go two way.

I think that if you do the mids in the kicks and I do the improved A-pillar design, we can compare notes and work out which is best...at least given certain variables.

Oh...and the horns? They pegged out my SPL meter at over 130 dB at 30 feet away. I'm also looking into replacing the horns with some Nathan AirChimes. We'll see what the fundage over the next year looks like. This horn setup is MAGNIFICENT! Totally worth the money.

Also, talk to Scott about some B stock L3SEs. See what he says. If you don't get a good deal, talk to me and I'll figure something out for you.


Yeah, we can do that! I feel very confident and I'm starting to know my limitations and now that I have tried a bunch of configurations I know how to achieve better SQ in a system, and how image, stage and depth creates a front stage.

I'm very curious of what do you have in mind for your new a-pillars! and thanks for asking Scott about the B stock L3SE's, by know I think he knows me. Beside the Mids every other driver I have it's HAT!

Would love to experience the horns, I think I'll put that project in my "to do list" (o:

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Sqcomp... do you know what is the name of the song at HAT's home page?

Thanks

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Gawd...I don't recall. I'll have to ask Scott or poke around our team forum for the answer.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Gawd...I don't recall. I'll have to ask Scott or poke around our team forum for the answer.
Thanks

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Exclamation

What about some Spy cam pictures...

Small foot print, not bad at all when I'm seating on the passenger's side!





From Pilot's point of view:




Getting in the car...




D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Arrow

Ok, some building pictures of the mini subbox:





















D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Hopefully this little woofer can give you some output in front.

It won't be as loud as the ID12, that's for sure...

What I'm wondering is, why we didn't do a slot port instead of a tubed port.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Hopefully this little woofer can give you some output in front.
It won't be as loud as the ID12, that's for sure...
What I'm wondering is, why we didn't do a slot port instead of a tubed port.
I understand that the IDQ12 it's much louder, just the fact that physically it's more than twice the size of the I6SW, on the other side you and I know that 4 of this little subs are as good as 2 18's (I know there is a lot going on from point A to point B) but let me try it.

I can feel 2 things over here:

1. You are preparing me for "unsatisfactory results" and that's OK, my install has been improving from trail and error, if I don't like the I6SW I'll get another one and try again, if that's not enough I'll just try some thing else or drive with my IDQ12 up front! I'm ok with that too.

2. Some one is jealous that I'm going to have a sub up front! Just kidding LOL


Why we didn't do a slot port? well because you are too far away, but now that I think about it.... mmm may not be very helpful for one sub the way I have it, but for 2 subs down the floor maybe that's the way to go!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Arrow

A question for the experts, what is the best way to give the upper skin a solid structure? just keep adding layers of glass?

Here are a couple of shots after 15 O.Z. of resin:








D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Come on! Get it done already! :P This waiting around for resin to dry is BS!
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Come on! Get it done already! :P This waiting around for resin to dry is BS!
I wish it was about the resin to dry, that's not the issue...

12 Years ago, all this install would be a 3 or 4 weeks and done, I used to do projects in less than 1/2 the time the average person would take but...


Now with 2 kids, a house to take care, 2 jobs and 200 miles/day of commute it's a little harder to get to my stuff. You will get to that point in your life, I know others here know what I mean. It's all good like I said before: "I would love to have 30 or 40 hours/day and very little sleep (o:

Patience I'll get it done sooner or later (o: It's me who really wants to get all these done!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Oh, as for reinforcement...you can keep laying mat down OR you can use long hair to reinforce.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Oh, as for reinforcement...you can keep laying mat down OR you can use long hair to reinforce.
What does "long hair" means? or what kind of fiberglass is that? Sorry I'm 2 naive for that!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
long strand fiberglass filler

http://www.boatbandit.com/evercoat-k...ler-12150.aspx

The nice thing about the longstrand is that it's a lot like a thick (fiberglass reinforced) bondo. You can put gloves on and form it on the inside of the enclosure.

I'm also watching some of the "advice" the DIYMA guys are giving. Be careful with that. Most of them are keyboard commandos. Yes, you can lay down three layers of matting on top of the resined mat you have down BUT you risk becoming too dry. And this guy saying to do that based off a picture is full of shit. He needs to be there to put his hands on it before ANY advice is doled out on how you're doing your glass.

He's trying to hook you into thinking he's a glassing master.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #16
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
long strand fiberglass filler

http://www.boatbandit.com/evercoat-k...ler-12150.aspx

The nice thing about the longstrand is that it's a lot like a thick (fiberglass reinforced) bondo. You can put gloves on and form it on the inside of the enclosure.

I'm also watching some of the "advice" the DIYMA guys are giving. Be careful with that. Most of them are keyboard commandos. Yes, you can lay down three layers of matting on top of the resined mat you have down BUT you risk becoming too dry. And this guy saying to do that based off a picture is full of shit. He needs to be there to put his hands on it before ANY advice is doled out on how you're doing your glass.

He's trying to hook you into thinking he's a glassing master.
Thanks, for the EVERCOAT Kitty Hair Fiberglass Filler. Looks like this will be a good cubic feet volume killer if I need to reduce the size of the enclosure!

Yeah! I hear you about the glassing master, I take step by step and easy going, read and think twice!. Thanks again.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
note...

The DIYMA guy talking about "biaxial" mat? That's chop mat. Take a close look at the mat you have, notice that it probably has two layers a top an bottom...bi axial...hmmm.

When we're talking about strength, it's about the resin quality, the amount of resin, and the material used. Can you say carbon fiber weave? THAT is strong. Why do you think they use it on race cars. Strength and light weight.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #18
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
note...

The DIYMA guy talking about "biaxial" mat? That's chop mat. Take a close look at the mat you have, notice that it probably has two layers a top an bottom...bi axial...hmmm.

When we're talking about strength, it's about the resin quality, the amount of resin, and the material used. Can you say carbon fiber weave? THAT is strong. Why do you think they use it on race cars. Strength and light weight.
Yeah, that's ok, I'm building this small little box just for the fun, hopefully it will be a keeper, and I'm aware of strength and light weight I agree with you, I'm used to try to make it as strong as possible but keep it very light! some of my airplanes are made of carbon fiber, wings and fuselage!

This little plane over here buzzes at 140mph speed passes at 4' off the deck:






D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.