Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 Dr HB Black
Noob need help !

Just have a question for every expert here, I realised that whenever I filled up the tank, right afterward my car seems more smooth and powerful in cruising.

Also, I fill my tank with 91 premium gas. Just wondering how come there is a difference, does it mean I need to take it for a tune up or spark plug change?

Just recently done oil change and filter change. Everyone's information are very much appreciated.
beZzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Well for starters, you're throwing your money away with the premium gas. The car's designed to run on reg.

And I'm pretty sure it's just a placebo effect, because your adding about 100lbs to the car when you fill it from empty. So the car should actually be slower.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Well, you might have some kind of contamination (water?) in your tank if you have a performance change with a full tank. As for the octane, bluevitz is correct: your engine compression is engineered for regular unleaded, and will see no advantage from premium gasoline. Also, most brands of gasoline actually have the same additives (techron, etc) in all grades of their gas, despite what the advertising leads you to believe.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Yeah...the guys are right. The 1NZ just doesn't have the compression to benefit from premium fuel. You're probably just experiencing the above mentioned "placebo" effect. The only plus at all from using it may be the fact that some brands add additional cleaners and additives to their premium grades. That shouldn't make any difference in a tank or 2 though.

Last edited by Billiam; 05-09-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Thanks every one, because I heard from a friend saying that 91 is better and cleaner than the 87, and when I use the 91 instead of the 87, I can actually save more fuel.

Will switch it back then. Thanks thanks.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beZzZ View Post
Thanks every one, because I heard from a friend saying that 91 is better and cleaner than the 87, and when I use the 91 instead of the 87, I can actually save more fuel.

Will switch it back then. Thanks thanks.
Yeah, other than the fact that some premium fuels might have more additives and cleaners to their gas, use regular and the money saved can be put towards a bottle of injector cleaner every 6 months or so. Every tank would be a couple of bucks at least.

Also, the 1NZ-FE with a 10.5:1 C/R does have a high enough compression to use 91 or higher octane fuel, but the computer's program limits timing so that is runs on regular 87. I know a guy running a Stand Alone ECU on his N/A Echo and has increased his timing by 10° up to around 42° at the upper end of the RPMs and has gained roughly 7-8hp alone from that and premium gas.

You have to remember that this engine was designed with one thought. Fuel efficiency.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
SamH
Banned

Drives: Bayou Blue Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Yeah, other than the fact that some premium fuels might have more additives and cleaners to their gas, use regular and the money saved can be put towards a bottle of injector cleaner every 6 months or so. Every tank would be a couple of bucks at least.

Also, the 1NZ-FE with a 10.5:1 C/R does have a high enough compression to use 91 or higher octane fuel, but the computer's program limits timing so that is runs on regular 87. I know a guy running a Stand Alone ECU on his N/A Echo and has increased his timing by 10° up to around 42° at the upper end of the RPMs and has gained roughly 7-8hp alone from that and premium gas.

You have to remember that this engine was designed with one thought. Fuel efficiency.

Can you get a stand alone ecu for the yaris? should be similar right?
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Can you get a stand alone ecu for the yaris? should be similar right?
probably... for around $500/HP
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post

I totally agree to your last sentence, Yaris is built for Fuel efficiency. I will definitely go back to 87, save up more to get the injector once in a while.

Anyway, just wondering waht does ECU mean?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
yarrr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beZzZ View Post
Anyway, just wondering waht does ECU mean?
Engine control unit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

It basically controls everything about how the engine runs, timing, air, fuel, etc. The US yaris ECU thus far is unbreakable/unflashable.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #11
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
Engine control unit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

It basically controls everything about how the engine runs, timing, air, fuel, etc. The US yaris ECU thus far is unbreakable/unflashable.
I see, guess I won't do anything about it, just simply use the 87, save money which I can get more upgrades.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
i get more miles on the prem, i also find when ever i get a chance i will clean the air filter that also helps the miles add up to the tank, changing spark plugs at every service helps also,
nazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
yarrr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazier View Post
changing spark plugs at every service helps also,
every service meaning what? I don't know about africa, but our plugs are good for 100,000 and changing them earlier than that is just helping burn a hole in your pocket
Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
every service meaning what? I don't know about africa, but our plugs are good for 100,000 and changing them earlier than that is just helping burn a hole in your pocket
I guess every service is a bit too frequent though, even though it will do no harm. I am not sure.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I just changed my spark plugs at about 87k miles, and there was still a little life left in the old ones if I wanted to continue to use them
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
your adding about 100lbs to the car when you fill it from empty.
more like 70, but it doesn't change your point that it's added weight.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
more like 70, but it doesn't change your point that it's added weight.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense too. Whenever I fill up the tank, the car suppose to be heavier, the acceleration should be sloppy. But to me, the acceleration of mine after the refill get sharper, weird.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
CarBob08

Drives: '08 3-Door
There is another thing to consider... on a full tank of fuel, you will have "colder" fuel and it will take longer for it to warm up through recirculation and heating in the fuel lines above the engine. So, it is possible to have a slight difference, but generally it shouldn't be noticeable.

As for the higher octane, I have done some extensive studies on my car with both 87 and 92 octane. I get more mpg's with 92, average goes up about 1.0 mpg, but with the cost of the fuel being 20 cents higher, doesn't warrant the extra cost. I still run it though, because I notice that my off-idle throttle response is a touch better and it makes it easier to get the clutch out without chatter on the 92 octane. My 2 cents.
CarBob08 is offline   Reply With Quote