Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
One thought would be to do some generic dynomat along the center tunnel and especially in the spare tire well, which is totally uninsulated. Might cut that drone down significantly. Also, much cheaper than exhaust work.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
As I'm unfamiliar with dynamat, how much would that cost? Should I pull the seats and carpet, then insulate the whole thing? Or just the back end, since that's where the noise is coming from?
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
do the rear first, it will make a difference. And there are other products out there that are less expensive than Dynamat and seem to work about as well. Check the Audio section on here for those threads.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
Tonavi

Just for fun, before school this morning, I stuffed a pillow and some blankets in the tire well and things calmed down significantly.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
there ya go
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
xbalance

Drives: stock
I plan to install a custom make header for my yaris but still not sure few item.
what is the most ideal size for 4-2-1 header setup?

Example size for 4-2 & 2-1 tube size and best length to built?

for the 4-2-1 final 1 out if use 2" tube will it be too big for our little 1nz-fe to push?
xbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
Tonavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbalance View Post
I plan to install a custom make header for my yaris but still not sure few item.
what is the most ideal size for 4-2-1 header setup?

Example size for 4-2 & 2-1 tube size and best length to built?

for the 4-2-1 final 1 out if use 2" tube will it be too big for our little 1nz-fe to push?
I wouldn't know, but I've heard that there's no point to going more than 2.5 inches on this motor unless you have forced induction.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #26
xbalance

Drives: stock
Noted, will use 2" tube. what about the tube size from 4-2 should be and the length needed?
xbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
Tonavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbalance View Post
Noted, will use 2" tube. what about the tube size from 4-2 should be and the length needed?
Again, I wouldn't know as I never built a header. I'd take a look at an aftermarket one like the DC Sports header and maybe model yours after that one. There isn't a whole lot of room because the exhaust is on the backside of the motor and is very short.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #28
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
When I had my custom exhaust done for myself, the guy at the shop decided that since I said I wanted a more performance oriented exhaust he'd just slap on a straight 2'' pipe and run it out the end, sounded fine on the outside, but I got inside and drove it for 10 mins and it killed me. Fortunatley, that was just him testing the waters for me, since a straight pipe is the most performance minded, and I went ahead and had him install my flowmaster 60 series in, and then it was like heaven. It roared at WOT, but you couldn't even tell I altered it at cruising rpms.

Without a muffler, it's going to kill you, and without a resonater, it's going to sound raspy... My exhaust was done resonater back, so as to avoid the raspyness. Good luck with noise though
shinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #29
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
I had a custom exhaust done about a month ago now. Replaced the stock muffler with an Imco model. It went in the place of the original resonator (almost exactly the same size and shape so it fit very well), then a new Imco resonator went between the rear axle and the dual, rectangular tips (center exit). So essentially the muffler and resonator swapped locations. I ran it like this for two weeks and decided it was too loud, especially inside. I also debated about doing some sound deadening material in the trunk, but decided to take it back and add in a second Imco resonator. The shop was able to put it right after the muffler and it is also a straight through design, just like the first one. This reduced the sound again by about 1/2. Just perfect for me! I may still do some sound deadening in the trunk, but no longer because of the exhaust, more from how there is no insulation back there at all! Hopefully for you the sound deadening will make it sound just right.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
psykobowler

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I had a custom exhaust done about a month ago now. Replaced the stock muffler with an Imco model. It went in the place of the original resonator (almost exactly the same size and shape so it fit very well), then a new Imco resonator went between the rear axle and the dual, rectangular tips (center exit). So essentially the muffler and resonator swapped locations. I ran it like this for two weeks and decided it was too loud, especially inside. I also debated about doing some sound deadening material in the trunk, but decided to take it back and add in a second Imco resonator. The shop was able to put it right after the muffler and it is also a straight through design, just like the first one. This reduced the sound again by about 1/2. Just perfect for me! I may still do some sound deadening in the trunk, but no longer because of the exhaust, more from how there is no insulation back there at all! Hopefully for you the sound deadening will make it sound just right.
I just brought my car in at All Muffler today. They quoted me around $474 for the longer imco muffler, dual exit 4 tips in the back. I am planning on getting it done in 3 weeks. I did not ask for a resonator after the muffler. They said since I will have a dual exit it will significantly quiet the sound.
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #31
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykobowler View Post
I just brought my car in at All Muffler today. They quoted me around $474 for the longer imco muffler, dual exit 4 tips in the back. I am planning on getting it done in 3 weeks. I did not ask for a resonator after the muffler. They said since I will have a dual exit it will significantly quiet the sound.
Awesome! Did you mention you "know" me from YarisWorld? Or at least say I know the dude with the custom center exit you guys did! Oh wait...they may charge you more. Let me know when you have a date and time and I'll try to stop by.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #32
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
so much useful information in this thread...love it lol

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #33
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Awesome! Did you mention you "know" me from YarisWorld? Or at least say I know the dude with the custom center exit you guys did! Oh wait...they may charge you more. Let me know when you have a date and time and I'll try to stop by.
Psykobowler -well I answered my own question! On my way home from work today I decided to stop by All Muffler in Rocklin because of your post and both Mark and Bill said you're "a really nice guy!". They are looking forward to doing your system. Once it's done and if you find you need it tweaked one way or the other, they will be happy to do it! They want you 100% satisfied. Heck, exactly the way it should be!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #34
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykobowler View Post
Hey, just checking in. Are you still getting your exhaust done?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Quote:
All of the noise in my case is from 1500-3000 rpm, right where I do all my driving.
I had everything stripped out of my Liftback (backseat, spare, etc...) and one of the first things I noticed was how the stock exhaust seems to drone right at 2000 rpm. Cant hear it anymore now that everything's back in, but I told myself that if I were ever going to permanently remove the backseat or redo the exhaust, than a few pieces of strategically placed sound deadening material are going to have to go back there.

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.

Last edited by GnomeBody; 05-13-2010 at 01:35 PM.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #36
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonavi View Post
I had a custom exhaust . . . The vibrations are gone but the car is still so F&*@ing inside I can't stand it. Is there anything I can do to quiet it down, without investing too much more money? I'm in almost $500 and wished I never touched it to begin with. It almost makes me want a different car.

I thought of sound insulation, but would probably need so much of it I'd be better off buying the OE setup.

Any help would be appreciated.
I Did, like you, order a rather LOUD Axleback muffler and put it on my XD. I was oh-so-thrilled with the idle exhaust sound! Poking it out made a beeeautiful sound too... But highway drone was, like yours, INTOLERABLE. I kept changing back to stock every other week, and decided to try sound deadening the rear area of the car. I did the underbody, rear fenders, trunk floor, and paid most of my attention to the hatch area. I doubled the insulation on the hatch and rear panels near the exhaust and it was sooo nice, I ended up doing the ENTIRE car. The most effective dampening was foaming the empty frame areas and the fender cavities in the back. (Even the bumper) I now have the bad boy on constantly, and have no drone except when the windows are down. The Foam and "Rattle Trap" deadening was not very expensive. Foam was 4 bucks a tall can from Home Depot, and the Rattle Trap was $135 shipped. I used 8 cans of foam. I love driving it now, and my daughter says I made my own Lexus...
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote