Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Bad FM reception

I've got a 2009, with aftermarket deck. The deck is an Alpine from my last car. In the last car, I didn't have any problems, and I even had a stubby antenna.

Most FM stations come in with some static. I know the antenna cable is quite small compared to other cables I've seen. Any suggestions? And the reception is terrible even without the car running.

Thanks in advance.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I've put two aftermarket stereos in my Jeep and neither got as good of reception as the stocker. I don't know why that is, but there are options to improve it. Most likely you'll need a signal booster ($15-25), or you could try some of these suggestions.

Oddly enough, the stock stereo in my Yaris picks up stations clearly my Jeep can't even find!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that is really terrible, did you install the deck yourself? Make sure everything back there is in working order and in their snugly.

I have an alpine, and I get no static. Unless it is just the deck getting old, something is probably wrong with the installation.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Lil Abner

Yeah, I put the deck in myself. So I know it's in correctly. Like you said, it could be that the deck is getting old. I've had that thing out countless times, trying so many different things. HA, right now I put in a splitter, and have just a wire laying under the dash to see if that helps. I get great reception in my garage, but once I pull out, all bets are off. Strange.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
If your Yaris uses an amplified antenna. It may not be getting power from the new deck.

Maybe someone can verify if your 2009 has an amplified antenna. I know my 2007 does.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
^+1

The antenna amplifier needs power otherwise the antenna doesn't work. The antenna power wire is the black wire on the factory blue connector. You can feed it with your HU's power antenna wire.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Lil Abner

Yup, checked that, too. I supplied it with 12V+ off my ignition source. I even tried removing the power to see if it made a difference, and it didn't. Assuming the amplifier is bad (in the base at the roof, right?), then a new one won't be cheap. So I might just be stuck finding an amplified window mount antenna?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Abner,

Not all HUs are created equal. I have the same issue with my after-market JVC. FM reception is just not as powerful as the OEM unit was. I believe a variable amongst manufacturers is a sensitivity specification in the FM tuner.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
^+1

The antenna amplifier needs power otherwise the antenna doesn't work. The antenna power wire is the black wire on the factory blue connector. You can feed it with your HU's power antenna wire.
Wow, that's a really good thing to know! I never would have thought a car would have an amplified antenna in it. Is that in the DIY? Is that something in a lot of cars? I replaced the HU in my daughter's 03 ford Taurus and reception is incredibly bad. I'm gonna have to go look that up now. :)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Yup, checked that, too. I supplied it with 12V+ off my ignition source. I even tried removing the power to see if it made a difference, and it didn't. Assuming the amplifier is bad (in the base at the roof, right?), then a new one won't be cheap. So I might just be stuck finding an amplified window mount antenna?
If you used a plug in harness adapter, throw your stock HU back in and see if that still works OK. That way, you'll know if it is the antenna amplifier or your new HU.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Lil Abner

Good call Scott. Now I just need to find the box. The only downside is that I can almost guarantee the stock unit will perform better than the Alpine one. I guess how much is the real thing. I'll try and do it tomorrow, then check back in.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Good call Scott. Now I just need to find the box. The only downside is that I can almost guarantee the stock unit will perform better than the Alpine one. I guess how much is the real thing. I'll try and do it tomorrow, then check back in.
That's quite possible. My Eclipse HU in my Yaris is almost as good as the stock one for FM tuning, but my Sony in my Xterra is horrible compared to the original one.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
^+1

I had poor recption as well it wasn't that bad but it didn't sound as good as it should kinda sounded distorted on some stations. I went out and hooked it up (I always thought the power antenna was for motorized antennas) and it sounds awesome thank you for the tip.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote