Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I thought I just saw a report on the news yesterday that said the sales of fuel
efficient cars were skyrocketing. No doubt, the jump in gas prices has something
to do with it. Also, the title says April 2011 sales.....and it's now May.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The Fiesta, as I predicted last year, has shot up to the top among conventional sub-compacts. Only the Soul leads on the list, but I don't consider that a conventional sub-compact. Ford moved 9,147 units - very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I just don't understand the Aveo doing so well. I had a rental Aveo and it's the worst car I've ever driven.
I believe fleet sales have a lot to do with it. It's a popular rental.
Also, GM gives them away, Toyota doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
It's hard to pinpoint Toyota's problem. People were always willing to pay for quality. Since the recall the brand loyality has slipped. Buyers are looking at other options.
It's not a Toyota problem. It seems to be mainly the Yaris that has had sales issues the last year. This month, the 5 year old Camry still reigns as the best selling car overall (beaten only by the Ford F-150 pickup). The Corolla remains a strong seller as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
... Also, the title says April 2011 sales.....and it's now May.
The title is correct. These are April sales numbers. May sales numbers will release in June.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The Fiesta, as I predicted last year, has shot up to the top among conventional sub-compacts.Only the Soul leads on the list, but I don't consider that a conventional sub-compact.
That was my thought as well. It's a pretty big car.

Quote:
I believe fleet sales have a lot to do with it. It's a popular rental.
Also, GM gives them away, Toyota doesn't.
Would be interesting to see if this is true. When I was working at GM (3years ago) one of their strategies was to cut down on fleet sales. Wouldn't surprise me if they ignored all that though.

Anywho, glad to see Ford doing well. I almost bought a Fiesta. I"m also glad Kia is doing well, despite that fact I don't know if it belongs in this class or not. The more competition there is, the better it is for all of us.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote