Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
PickupYaris

Drives: 1981 C1500 RWD
2006 Auto Hatchback - $9900

Hey everybody. I test drove a used Yaris yesterday and wanted some opinon on it (private seller).

2006 Hatchback 3D
Automatic
72000km (4473 miles)
Power windows, locks
Comes with winter tires on steelies (pretty well required where I live)
Remote starter
No accidents

The guy's sending me the Car Report to confirm no accidents/inspections and such. The only thing I don't like is the lack of cruise control, but such is life.

Is $9900 CDN a good price for this vehicle? Runs perfectly. Body is in flawless shape except for a few paint chip spots.
PickupYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
It's hard to tell someone if a price is right, every region in the world has different demands (and prices) on vehicles...

Remote starters are garbage, take it out because 99% of the time, they are electrical disasters!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I live in Edmonton also ... so I think I can comment.

I bought in May (private sale as well) a 2007 Yaris 3 DR RS HB. It had 162,000 km and had been meticulously maintained. I paid $4500 Canadian for it. It also had most every option available on a 2007 Yaris like power windows / locks and air conditioning.

Re the cruise control .. I have one on my car but I don't like using it. Somehow I just don't like not having control of my vehicle. Besides I find that I get much better gas mileage on the highway without it.

To me that amount of money for a 2006 just seems high. But I didn't look at the Yaris you looked at ... maybe it is worth it.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickupYaris View Post
Hey everybody. I test drove a used Yaris yesterday and wanted some opinon on it (private seller).

2006 Hatchback 3D
Automatic
72000km (4473 miles)
Power windows, locks
Comes with winter tires on steelies (pretty well required where I live)
Remote starter
No accidents

The guy's sending me the Car Report to confirm no accidents/inspections and such. The only thing I don't like is the lack of cruise control, but such is life.

Is $9900 CDN a good price for this vehicle? Runs perfectly. Body is in flawless shape except for a few paint chip spots.
That seems like a really high price. Is that the price he is asking or did you negotiate down?

Similar cars are on my local Toyota dealers lot for $10,700 for '06.

Also cruise control is an easy easy mod. The details are on this site!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
PickupYaris

The guy's asking $9900 for the car and the set of winters on steelies. Just looked at the CarReport and it's clean. I'm going to do a little more reading but unless I discover some abhorrent horror with '06 hatchbacks I'll make him a offer. When I asked him during the drive, he said he'd gotten a couple texts but I'm the only one to test drive it so far. The ad had already been up for 5 days (kijiji).

I'm thinking offering him $8500 and see what happens. What do you guys think (especially edmscan)? Should I try going as low as $7000?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
To be honest .. I really don't know what you should offer. When I got my car .. I called a Toyota dealer and they told me that my car had a book value of 5500$. I do know that I got a very good deal on my car so I cannot really compare it to what else is on the used market.

I do know that used Yaris' do seem to demand a big dollar ... as they are just very reliable vehicles.

I wouldn't worry about it being a 2006 .. these are really reliable cars. Especially if you have seen the car and it is in good shape.

Have you been able to see any of the maintenance records for the car ?

My car does have ALOT more miles than the one you are looking at so that would make a big difference in the price. I have seen people here at YW saying they have several hundred thousand miles on their cars and still going strong. So ... I wouldn't let mileage worry you. Besides the car you are looking at only has 72K.

But if you feel comfortable with the car .. I would grab it, as probably good clean Yaris' are not that common.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I would take it to a mechanic that you trust to make sure everything is good with it, and yes the price seems a bit steep for a 2006. But that could just be the asking price. Check out NADA, KBB, edmunds, etc, to see what they say on prices.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
PickupYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
To be honest .. I really don't know what you should offer. When I got my car .. I called a Toyota dealer and they told me that my car had a book value of 5500$. I do know that I got a very good deal on my car so I cannot really compare it to what else is on the used market.

I do know that used Yaris' do seem to demand a big dollar ... as they are just very reliable vehicles.

I wouldn't worry about it being a 2006 .. these are really reliable cars. Especially if you have seen the car and it is in good shape.

Have you been able to see any of the maintenance records for the car ?

My car does have ALOT more miles than the one you are looking at so that would make a big difference in the price. I have seen people here at YW saying they have several hundred thousand miles on their cars and still going strong. So ... I wouldn't let mileage worry you. Besides the car you are looking at only has 72K.

But if you feel comfortable with the car .. I would grab it, as probably good clean Yaris' are not that common.
I'm still confirming the maintenance. The guy is the second owner and has sent me maintenance records from the first owner (different name than his I guess). The owner said he's not a car guy (I believe him on that) and goes to dealership to get oil changes/lamp changes. I'll have to grab a look at those though.

But all signs point to this being a beauty of a car.